Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Pegasus Mail and Home Networking

Last post 04-17-2011, 22:56 by Henkjan. 23 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (24 items)   < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-23-2011, 22:58

Re: Pegasus Mail and Home Networking

> I changed it (it was the shared documents folder on the C drive, and yes that does exist), not noticing much difference. starting pmail was
    > a bit quicker, but still very slow. other actions (see examples below) still the same.
    >
    > But all other operations are also extremely slow, just opening a mail message (plain text, 5k in size) takes 5 seconds between double click
    > and that the message is displayed on the screen. Other example: I have a rule on the junk mail folder, which deletes all messages older than
    > a week on folder close; so when I close the folder, it takes approx 1 second for each message that gets moved to the trash. Retrieved mail
    > from the server (pop3) also takes very long to get filtered into the right folders. The only thing still fast is emptying the trash (rule
    > on folder close). And all this was no issue with the local (on C:) installation.

Here's something you might try using RegEdit.  It's actually very easy to do and for me it fixed the one second pause when working with the mail store on a Win2K type
    server.  You need to create a new DWORD OplocksDisabled and then set it to one. You can do this on the Windows server as well to turn off OPLOCKS for all.  

Configuring opportunistic locking in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;296264

1.     Use REGEDIT and find the following registry entry.  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | System | CurrentControlSet | Services | MRXSmb | Parameters

2.    Select Edit | New | DWORD value

3.    Enter OplocksDisabled for the value name and 1 (Disabled) for the value data.  The default is zero (not disabled)

4.    Exit REGEDIT and reboot your system.  

You can also deny the granting of opportunistic locks on the server by setting the DWORD "EnableOplocks" registry entry to value of zero (Disabled) in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Services | LanmanServer | Parameters

Note  The EnableOplocks value configures Windows-based servers (including Workstations sharing files) to allow or deny opportunistic locks on local files. The default for EnableOplocks is 1 (Enabled).

Thomas R. Stephenson
    San Jose, California
    Member of Pegasus Mail Support Team

I do not answer private messages from the forum. If you want to contact me use email to techsupp@tstephenson.com.
  •  02-24-2011, 0:26

• Henkjan is not online. Last active: 22 Apr 2016, 16:54 Henkjan
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-28-2010
    • Netherlands
    • Points 380

I disabled oplocks on my NAS, and also added the DWORD with value 1 to the registry of the client PC.  starting pmail did not improve, maybe even slower. (the 1st 30 seconds everyting froze on my PC, even the system tray clock did not advance (mine shows seconds).  opening individual messages appears somewhat faster

During the startup, the system is redlining, with process "avp.exe", which is my antivirus sw (Kaspersky). I have had this AV also when I had pmail on the local HD, so did not suspect it, but could it be that it does a firmer check on files opened from a network share than from a local disk?

•  02-24-2011, 0:52

• jss1941 is not online. Last active: 02-13-2017, 3:52 jss1941
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2007
    • Montreal, Canada
    • Participant
    • Points 1,695

Henkjan:

I disabled oplocks on my NAS, and also added the DWORD with value 1 to the registry of the client PC.  starting pmail did not improve, maybe even slower. (the 1st 30 seconds everyting froze on my PC, even the system tray clock did not advance (mine shows seconds).  opening individual messages appears somewhat faster

During the startup, the system is redlining, with process "avp.exe", which is my antivirus sw (Kaspersky). I have had this AV also when I had pmail on the local HD, so did not suspect it, but could it be that it does a firmer check on files opened from a network share than from a local disk?

I would suggest telling Kaspersky to NOT check email. This is a settable parameter. I always run with it disabled, as I just don't open attachments that I don't recognize without checking them manually.  

John (loyal Pmail user for so long I've lost count -- ~19 years)
  •  02-24-2011, 19:53

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-28-2010
    • Netherlands
    • Points 380

jss1941:
    Henkjan:

I would suggest telling Kaspersky to NOT check email. This is a settable parameter. I always run with it disabled, as I just don't open attachments that I don't recognize without checking them manually.  

It's not during retrieving mail, but during the program start-up that is redlines....

•  02-24-2011, 20:55

• jss1941 is not online. Last active: 02-13-2017, 3:52 jss1941
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2007
    • Montreal, Canada
    • Participant
    • Points 1,695

Henkjan:

It's not during retrieving mail, but during the program start-up that is redlines....

Are you sure that KAV doesn't check email-type files on system startup?  

John (loyal Pmail user for so long I've lost count -- ~19 years)
  •  02-25-2011, 0:09

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-28-2010
    • Netherlands
    • Points 380

jss1941:
    Henkjan:

it does sit in the background and check every program that starts. Does Pegasus "touch" all mail files during startup?

other observation: program operation is faster now. will check my laptop over wlan tomorrow

•  02-25-2011, 0:30

Henkjan:

jss1941:
    Henkjan:

it does sit in the background and check every program that starts. Does Pegasus "touch" all mail files during startup?

other observation: program operation is faster now. will check my laptop over wlan tomorrow

You should exclude the entire Pegasus Mail directory structure from on access scanning.  You can use an extension like VirScan to scan the e-mail messages when accessed by WinPmail.

Name of Program: VIRSCAN: Virus Scanning Extension for Pegasus Mail

Location/Filename <URL:mailto:irelam@telus.net?Subject=send_virscan>
    <URL:http://www3.telus.net/public/irelam/>

Author/email contact: Martin Ireland <irelam@telus.net>

Documentation: Included in zip file.

Features: Extension to invoke virus scanning program of user choice when Pegasus Mail saves or views mail message attachments.

Defaults to NAI's VirusScan engine. Multi-language support included.  

Thomas R. Stephenson
    San Jose, California
    Member of Pegasus Mail Support Team

I do not answer private messages from the forum. If you want to contact me use email to techsupp@tstephenson.com.
  •  03-24-2011, 22:10

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-28-2010
    • Netherlands
    • Points 380

I went as far as disabling the entire antivirus, but I noticed no difference at all....
  •  04-17-2011, 22:56

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-28-2010
    • Netherlands
    • Points 380

anyone any other ideas?  
Page 2 of 2 (24 items)   < Previous 1 2
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page