Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Release 4.61

Last post 06-18-2012, 19:29 by mrgoe. 47 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (48 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-25-2011, 15:47

• PaulW is not online. Last active: 10 Nov 2019, 14:35 PaulW
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • UK
    • SuperStar
    • Points 18,410

Re: Release 4.61

phoenixart:
    http://lifehacker.com/#!5479009/inbox2-desktop-combines-and-task+ifies-your-email-and-social-networks

Remove the '+' sign in this link to find the article

•  02-25-2011, 16:00

• davews is not online. Last active: 29 Nov 2016, 17:54 davews
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • Points 405

philip e j jones:

I assume the icons are kept in a separate library of some kind so that it is very easy to make such a choice.

They are all in C:\PMail\Programs\PNG  (or wherever your default PM folder is), loads of PNG images with numeric names which cannot easily be related to particular icons. I did think of resizing them all, but I would probably have messed the whole shooting match up....

•  02-26-2011, 0:16

• Sharkfin is not online. Last active: 10 Jan 2015, 19:14 Sharkfin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-02-2008
    • United Kingdom
    • Contributor
    • Points 4,555

phoenixart:

I don't want to sound rude, please take my consideration just as a critique nothing else, but I don't think the new interface looks 'more modern or very attractive'.

Besides that, the interface looks very old, it reminds me office XP actually. Colored bigger icons don't make an interface better.

Throughout the day I have been reading this thread's postings via e-mail on my mobile phone and getting very worried about this release. I've now installed the new version and I really think all the negative comments are extremely unfair. Not only are the new icons wonderfully consistent and clearly dripping with expended effort (congratulations Sven), they undeniably do a fantastic job of dragging Pegasus out of the 1990s, visually. I can think of other programs that use similarly-styled icons and have not heard any complaints about those. To say, as phoenixart has, that the new look isn't more modern, is a masterpiece of chirlishness.

I had also been reluctant to try Michael's IE renderer but David's blessing, and the excellent integration (with the toolbar button) have impressed me greatly. Although I haven't tested it, the presence of several options to control the security has reassured me enormously. Good work Michael - again!

Finally, I'd like to thank David for continuing to hammer away. I've said before that although releases are rare, I've never yet seen a new version of Peg or Merc that didn't offer me at least one killer reason to upgrade. Pegasus has long been insanely feature-packed but he keeps rounding off a few rough edges here and there whilst finding something new to keep it fresh. Superb, sir.

Nay-sayers be gone!

•  02-26-2011, 0:35

• idw is not online. Last active: Tue, Nov 19 2019, 15:45 idw
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,915
    • BetaTeam

Sharkfin:
    I had also been reluctant to try Michael's IE renderer but David's blessing, and the excellent integration (with the toolbar button) have impressed me greatly. Although I haven't tested it, the presence of several options to control the security has reassured me enormously. Good work Michael - again!

Thanks!

Michael

--
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
  •  02-26-2011, 3:30

Sharkfin:

Throughout the day I have been reading this thread's postings via e-mail on my mobile phone and been getting very worried about this release. I've now installed the new version and I really think all the negative comments are extremely unfair. Not only are the new icons wonderfully consistent and clearly dripping with expended effort (congratulations Sven), they undeniably do a fantastic job of dragging Pegasus out of the 1990s, visually. I can think of other programs that use similarly-styled icons and have not heard any complaints about those. To say, as phoenixart has, that the new look isn't more modern, is a masterpiece of chirlishness.

[...]

I don't see the point to offend me.

A mature person would just comment politely and possibly with good arguments rather than "I like these, I like that". This way there's no room for a serious dialogue or improvement but just for self gratification.

I'm sorry to read this kind of comments as so far the thread seemed to be pretty good and my intentions were really serious. My post about what I consider good or bad design should be a sign of that. So, please, could you explain how my post was churlishness?

These days it seems it's really hard to find people who can simply talk about critiques without thinking of being attacked or that who makes the critique is offending someone.

By the way, having other programs that use similar icons as test proof it's something I don't get: should I wait to hear critiques from other programs users to talk about a particular matter?

•  02-26-2011, 17:48

• Sharkfin is not online. Last active: 10 Jan 2015, 19:14 Sharkfin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-02-2008
    • United Kingdom
    • Contributor
    • Points 4,555

phoenixart:

I don't see the point to offend me.

A mature person would just comment politely and possibly with good arguments rather than "I like these, I like that". This way there's no room for a serious dialogue or improvement but just for self gratification.

Phoenixart,

Apologies if you were offended. I perhaps used stronger wording than I intended (and I misspelt it too - so thanks for correcting me!). You are a regular on these forums and I have no ill will towards you.

I just meant that to say that the new look is definitely and objectively more modern in style than the old icons and to say otherwise is nonsense. Whether they are more or less attractive is clearly a subjective matter, as your earlier post noted. Whether or not they reflect 2011 graphical style is not really important.

In fact, with the main toolbar icons now being larger as well as generally more understandable, I would argue that usability is slightly improved because the target area for a click is a little bigger than before. Granted, a new set of graphics doesn't fundamentally alter the UI, but then 4.61 is not meant to do that.

We all know that although Pegasus is well respected for its power-user features, it often loses out to other clients when a new user is evaluating it. I believe that this is partly because of the slightly clunky old-fashioned look that it's always had. Regular users, seeing it for the first time, may have assumed, within seconds, that it was old, neglected and under-powered. Marketing people know that you need some visual sparkle and that sometimes a purely superficial makeover is required to keep things feeling fresh in the mind of the consumer. Pegasus now looks much more like a complicated but modern client rather than a complicated and out-of-date one.

Finally, to deal with your second quoted line above, although I was technically replying to your post, it was intended mainly as a solo comment praising the work done. I was not attempting to discuss, argue or refute everything you said, but primarily to register a positive review.

•  02-26-2011, 20:16

• jul is not online. Last active: 2019/07/22, 19:40 jul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-04-2010
    • Poland
    • Points 180

Re: Release 4.61 (crash report)

Hi. I like new look of PM, it appears to be more modern (though I'm not sure if I prefer the modern fuzzy styles over all the old - more contrasting - ones, whatever software it concerns. I simply like cartoon style - so popular in previous century for some technical reasons Angel - for its readability, and still miss for example old Office'97 icons]). But what I want is to report crash problems.

I use Win7. First run of 4.61 version goes smoothly but next starts always crash at startup (I get system error about that). This occurs after "mailbox is locked" notice (after the first crash of course).

What appeared to be the culprit was pmail.ini file. So I restored it from archive (I forethoughtly made fresh one Cool ) - first run of "thinking it's new" PM 4.61 worked well. Then I checked differences in newly written pmail.ini. But after file comparison I can not say too much. The differences are very few and look very innocent (they concern only printing margin which has no meaning and few lines with version name, number and last end time). In effect I only know that when I revert line

"Last run version                          = 1121 1 1 0"
    to
    "Last run version                          = 1106 1 1 0"

PM thinks it starts for the first time after upgrade and so evokes "welcome to 4.6v." box but works... - till the next run, when it crashes as usual for me. I can easily work with old version but I will miss 4.61 release. Hoping this can bring some effect in a future I send my regards to author of the best email software I know of, contributors and whole society.

•  02-26-2011, 20:23

Sharkfin:

Phoenixart,

Apologies if you were offended. I perhaps used stronger wording than I intended (and I misspelt it too - so thanks for correcting me!). You are a regular on these forums and I have no ill will towards you.[...]

Thanks for your explanation Sharkfin, I appreciated it. I'm glad to see that we can continue the dialogue on a good level.

I see your points and make sense to me, even if I think that Pegasus right now is missing an opportunity: it's like having a Ferrari but only the engineers knows how to turn on the turbo ;)

It would be interesting to hear comments from new users.

Cheers

•  02-27-2011, 2:01

• C A Lane is not online. Last active: 04-18-2017, 1:46 C A Lane
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-25-2008
    • Points 155

has anyone noticed the performance boost, used to take 20sec to open an e-mail, now only a few seconds

PMail is finally getting its at together, waiting on v.5 since since 1993

•  02-27-2011, 11:10

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,915
    • BetaTeam

jul:
    I use Win7. First run of 4.61 version goes smoothly but next starts always crash at startup (I get system error about that). This occurs after "mailbox is locked" notice (after the first crash of course).

First of all, "jul", this report should have better be posted to the support forum because you're more likely to find or get an answer and keep other users informed about possible (new) issues. There are a couple of Windows 7 issues and some 64bit issues as well. Next question would be how you did the install: Did you do an update or a fresh install to a new machine or a different location? Which version did you use before and where was it installed? Searching the support forum might provide some more clues as well about other possible issues.

Michael

--
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
  •  02-27-2011, 12:27

• jul is not online. Last active: 2019/07/22, 19:40 jul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-04-2010
    • Poland
    • Points 180

idw, thanks for your reply. I did simple update from 4.52 version. All PM files (software and mailbox) are installed locally on D: partition, this is standalone Win7 32-bit PC. I simply signal there is some problem, not very severe one for me - I can live with that. I'll look to support forum as you suggest, if there will be more "casualties" I'll think about participation in discussion there.
  •  02-27-2011, 13:05

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,915
    • BetaTeam

jul:
    I simply signal there is some problem, not very severe one for me

Not severe? I think a crash is one of the most severe issues an application can cause, really! And this means: We need to figure out what's going on and fix it ASAP because even if you're currently the only one encountering this it'll almost certainly cause further trouble in the future. It would be very helpful if you could provide us with a crash dump using my MiniDump extension (you'll most probably need to run its "stand-alone" mode via the Pegasus Mail Debugger entry in MiniDump's Start menu group, for details see its ReadMe-file).

Michael

--
  •  03-01-2011, 16:08

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,915
    • BetaTeam

idw:
    jul:
    I simply signal there is some problem, not very severe one for me

Not severe? I think a crash is one of the most severe issues an application can cause, really!

Just FYI: The issue turned out to be caused by an unusual (and outdated) line in PMAIL.INI (leftover from the old connection handling).

Michael

--
  •  03-01-2011, 16:09

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,915
    • BetaTeam

idw:
    jul:
    I simly signal there is some problem, not very severe one for me

Not severe? I think a crash is one of the most severe issues an application can cause, really!

Just FYI: The issue turned out to be caused by an unusual (and outdated) line in PMAIL.INI (leftover from the old connection handling in pre-4 versions).

Michael

--
  •  03-01-2011, 16:49

• Steffan is not online. Last active: 05-23-2018, 8:25 Steffan
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-31-2008
    • Utrecht, the Netherlands
    • Contributor
    • Points 6,405

Michael, you've started quoting yourself without adding anything.

Cheers!

Steffan
Page 2 of 4 (48 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page