Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Which PGP version?

Last post 04-12-2016, 23:26 by idw. 24 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (25 items)   < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-28-2015, 20:22

• idw is not online. Last active: Mon, Nov 20 2017, 23:09 idw
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 44,005
    • BetaTeam

Re: Which PGP version?

Attachment: PGP.jpg

Stars:
    Kann privates Schlüsselbund + öffentliches Schlüsselbund nicht finden, wiederholen?

After starting Pegasus Mail there's a menu item in its main menu named idw's PGP-Frontend providing a menu entry for a configuration dialog allowing you to search and set the keyring paths if it can't find them via Registry (see below). Depending on the Windows version you use there should be some PGP directory in your MyDocuments folder containing these files.

Stars:
    1. Symatec tells me to deactivate SSL...

You didn't restrict PGP to only use the free PGP zip option like shown in the dialog in my previous post. Open PGP (you may use the toolbar button provided for doing so from Pegasus Mail's main toolbar, the second one from the right in the screenshot below) and go to its Help => Licence menu where you should change the licence to PGP zip. This should prevent PGP from interfering with your POP and SMTP processing.

Michael

--
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 26 5c a3 60 02 c6 e3 8a 75 70 d5 6a 67 ff d3 8d b0 b5 5e 5b
  •  05-28-2015, 21:28

• Stars is not online. Last active: 06-02-2015, 20:03 Stars
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-25-2015
    • Points 185

Thansk for your hints, did both (Win 7, found it in my documents pgp folder).

Just sending a decrypted letter to myself and ...: it seams to work - finally.

Could you please write a testmail to me? st ern bog en AT g m x . de
    (of course no blanks and AT = @)

But still, everytime pegasus tries to sync with mailprovider (GMX) [send or receive] it freezes for several minutes. ...I can not work with this.

(none if my PC cores shows high busyness (and my PC isn`t bad), but why does pegasus freeze so long, even there is no new mail)?

Or when i send just 1 mail with 40kbytes, i don't want to 1 minute to write next.

•  05-28-2015, 22:43

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 44,005
    • BetaTeam

Stars:
    Could you please write a testmail to me? st ern bog en AT g m x . de

Did you send you PGP key to the keyserver? Otherwise I won't be able to write an encrypted mail to you.

Stars:
    But still, everytime pegasus tries to sync with mailprovider (GMX) [send or receive] it freezes for several minutes. ...I can not work with this.
    Maybe you need to disable PGP's email proxy manually (in the "Extras" menu of PGP). And do you have Tools => Options => Advanced settings => Load Windows Internet Services  set to Always (Restart Pegasus Mail after modifying this option)?

Michael

--
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 26 5c a3 60 02 c6 e3 8a 75 70 d5 6a 67 ff d3 8d b0 b5 5e 5b
  •  05-29-2015, 8:27

• Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-25-2015
    • Points 185

I totally removed/deinstalled everything (and pegasus folder) and reinstalled all - now the freezes are over, finally thanks ...

I exported my key the the server, but i still think my letters are not encrypted, but at least i can work again with pegasus!

•  05-29-2015, 14:28

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 44,005
    • BetaTeam

Stars:
    I exported my key the the server, but i still think my letters are not encrypted, but at least i can work again with pegasus!

PMPGP provides a rather detailed help, and since you seem to be a "newbie" with regard to PGP I recommend to get familiar with it to understand how it works. You will only be able to encrypt your messages if sending them to people providing their public key for doing so, mine should already be on your keyring so you could send me encrypted messages, e.g.

I cannot find your key on the server using your email address, so either the address is wrong or your key doesen't have it attached for whatever reason. But again: Please get familiar with PGP and PMPGP before using them! I'll send a signed only email instead ...

Michael

--
  •  06-02-2015, 17:34

• Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-25-2015
    • Points 185

Thanks again for you great help (even per Mail), here I try to make a tutorial for beginners, who just want to use it and don`t care all additional opportunities ;)

=== Tutorial for using PGP on Pegasus ===

Step 1:

download "PGP Desktop" at least version 10
    (you may have to register to download it and it is called tryware for 30 days, but you do not even need the key, just the install file)
    -> SymantecEncryptionDesktop10.3.2MP7_Windows.zip

Step 2:

download PGP Extension for Pegasus (Thanks to Michael in der Wische)
    -> PGPWPMDe.exe

Step 3:

Install PGP Desktop
    -> but only install PGP zip, you do NOT need any other port of this Software, especially you should not install PGP Messaging
    If you just install PGP zip, you don't neet a key and have less install problems later.

Step 4:

Inastall PGPWPMDe.exe
    (just click through)

Step 5:

Pegasus now has a new menu and some new icons.
    To use encryption, you need to create your own keys.

Use Symantec Encryption Software and use
    keys -> create new keys
    Take a good password and create the keys in Symantec.
    Save a certificate as backup.

Finally upload the public key to the key server
    to do this: rightclick you keys and use "send to" and the chosen server.

Step 6:

Activate the encryption keys
    Go into the settings of pegasus:
    Extra -> Options -> Outgoing Mail -> Encryption -> Standard Encryption: choose idw's PGP-frontend

Step 7:  Sending you key to someone / receive the key from someone else.

Now you have to send your key to your encryption partner, that both have the public key of each other.
    Just send a normal mail and add your public key to the mail or if the partner has uploaded it to the key server, just download it from there.

Step 8: When you got the public key to encrypt the letter to your partner, you just can do it :)
    Simply select send encrypted (next to self copy)

Step 9: Relax it should work :)

If i missed something important, please tell me!
  •  11-13-2015, 14:24

• PierreD is not online. Last active: 12-03-2015, 14:17 PierreD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-22-2015
    • Points 40

Hi Stars,

Thanks for your tutorial. I finally found the PGP Desktop on the Symantec site (via search), I downloaded the exact same file as you... but I wonder how you can "only install PGP Zip": I only see 2 exe (32 and 64-bit) and a documentation folder in the downloaded zip file. When I try to install the exe I get no options, it just installs everything... and BTW fails at the end to register PGPolplg.dll (I said "Ignore" for now). The problem is that it asks for a registration.

When I uninstall I have don't see a way to uninstall just a part of it and keep the "PGP Zip" only.

TIA to anyone for any hint.

•  11-18-2015, 18:29

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 44,005
    • BetaTeam

Attachment: PGP.jpg

I don't remember exactly remember how I did this several years ago, but if you register for the trial period only it will automatically disable all functions to be paid for if you don't buy the respective licence. IOW: Just wait for the trial period to expire to end up with the restricted free version of PGP.

For information about the current licence you may open the Help => Licence dialog via PGP's respective main menu item (see below). Maybe you can even change the licence via this dialog without having to wait for evaluation to expire.

Michael

--
  •  04-12-2016, 23:05

Do you know if any of these (PGP plug-in for Pegasus Mail with current Symantec PGP version, or qdpgp) work on Linux under wine?
    Filed under: ,
  •  04-12-2016, 23:26

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 44,005
    • BetaTeam

No idea.

Michael

--
Page 2 of 2 (25 items)   < Previous 1 2
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page