Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

DNS or Firewall?

Last post 06-28-2016, 16:46 by Greenman. 23 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (24 items)   < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-26-2009, 19:18

• cynist is not online. Last active: 01-28-2014, 15:07 cynist
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-09-2009
    • US
    • Participant
    • Points 2,165

Re: DNS or Firewall?

Thanks.  At home I was using OE and that explains my problem.  I'll install PMail at home and see if it works.

I will also turn on authentication in MercuryS and create the file to see if that solves my problem.

•  05-16-2012, 5:50

> I made the MX change and left pop.neocap.org and smtp.neocap.org
    > CNAMES since they both point to the same ip as the main A record.
    > Everything still seems to be working from behind the firewall. I'm
    > just not able to connect from outside client. Are my DNS setting
    > correct now?

I've got a number of domain names pointing to the same IP address.   In all cases I set an A record to the IP address and an MX record to the actual host name of the server.  Here's my domains section and you can use your NSLOOKUP tool to see what I have set for the domains in the DNS.  A couple of these are local only domains I use for testing and I have bolded these since they are not real domains.  I can access these domains from the outside via my router.  I use daemons and other tools to move the mail to internal servers where required.

[Domains]
    stephens: stephens
    stephens: [209.128.94.2]    # external IP address
    stephens: mail.tstephenson.com
    stephens: tstephenson.com
    stephens: [192.168.1.2]   # internal IP address
    dm=merwin: merwin-tstephenson.com
    daemon:c:\mercury\mercfwd.dll;[192.168.1.43]: linux-tstephenson.com
    dm=merc452: merc452.tstephenson.com
    dm=dyndns: dyndns-tstephenson.dyndns.org
    dm=merwin: merwin.dyndns.org
    daemon:c:\mercury\mercfwd.dll;[192.168.1.3]: novell-tstephenson.com
    daemon:c:\mercury\mercfwd.dll;[192.168.1.31]: xampp.from-ca.com
    dm=bayarea1: bayarea-tstephenson.com

Thomas R. Stephenson
    San Jose, California
    Member of Pegasus Mail Support Team

I do not answer private messages from the forum. If you want to contact me use email to techsupp@tstephenson.com.
    Filed under:
  •  05-20-2012, 2:47

mhlinh:
    <cloned post>
    Go away spammer.
  •  05-21-2012, 9:11

• PaulW is not online. Last active: 03 Aug 2017, 8:35 PaulW
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • UK
    • SuperStar
    • Points 18,055

john2012:
    I was able to retrieve POP mail but still not able to send SMTP from home

Posted to wrong thread?

•  05-21-2012, 9:13

john2012:
    <snip spam links in sig>

I don't think the thread matters...

•  05-21-2012, 9:25

• PaulW is not online. Last active: 03 Aug 2017, 8:35 PaulW
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • UK
    • SuperStar
    • Points 18,055

dilberts_left_nut:

john2012:
    <snip spam links in sig>

I don't think the thread matters...

Riight.  I had sigs turned off.  Now I can see them.

Spammer reported.

•  08-24-2013, 8:05

Thomas R. Stephenson:
    cynist:

I'm a little confused because Godaddy's DNS Control Panel gives these specific instructions for the MX record.

To create a new MX record for your domain; enter the priority value (0 - 9999) and complete the Host Name, "Goes To. IP Address, and TTL Value fields; then click "Continue."

Note: The "Host Name" should be defined as your domain name (i.e., "domainnamegoeshere.com") or "@" (Entering "@" will automatically insert your domain name as the host name for the MX Record). If the MX Record is for the domain "www.domainnamegoeshere.com," the host name should be entered as "www."

Do not enter "www.domainnamegoeshere.com" as the host name.

Not sure what to tell you.  I use Godaddy with two of my domain names and I'm using full host names for the MX hosts without any problem.  The primary MX points to my host name and the secondary goes to an off site MX host provided by my ISP.

I can send and receive extermal SMTP mail through Mercury from behind my firewall with no problem.  I just can't connect from a client outside of the firewall to Mercury.  I'll make the MX change per your suggestion and see what happens.  Also, maybe I need to delete the CNAME entries if I put A records with the same?  If I have both would that confuse DNS?

A CNAME should only be used if you want  to create a different host name for an existing host name.  For example if you want to create a POP.domain.com and point it to domain.com to make it easier for the users then a CNAME entry would be useful.  The host name pointed to by the CNAME record must have an A record.

thanks same issue i was facing, it look like it was a cname issue, godaddy support staff have solved it.

Payday 2 Glitch | Hotline Miami Walkthrough
  •  06-28-2016, 7:11

I just installed the Windows 7 upgrade. Now I have problems with the firewall. It is prompting me that the firewall in not turned on & prompts me to use the recommended settings.

When I click on this the message "Windows firewall can't change some of your settings Error code 0x80070422". Someone can help? Thank you! 

Just For Cats
  •  06-28-2016, 16:46

• Greenman is not online. Last active: 16 Aug 2017, 9:46 Greenman
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • UK
    • Star
    • Points 12,285

blueberner69:

I just installed the Windows 7 upgrade. Now I have problems with the firewall. It is prompting me that the firewall in not turned on & prompts me to use the recommended settings.

When I click on this the message "Windows firewall can't change some of your settings Error code 0x80070422". Someone can help? Thank you! 

This is a Pegasus Mail forum not a Windows 7 forum. You would be better off asking this question on Microsoft's forums, and you would have been much better off starting a new thread instead of resurrecting an ancient question.

0x800xxxxxx are usually permissions based error codes - your account does not have sufficient privileges to perform the action.

Page 2 of 2 (24 items)   < Previous 1 2
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page