Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

MultiUser mode for new install? Is it really necessary? What do the experts say???

Last post 08-16-2017, 9:45 by Greenman. 22 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (23 items)   < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-10-2017, 18:42

• momnatur is not online. Last active: 08-17-2017, 1:14 momnatur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-30-2012
    • Points 295

Re: MultiUser mode for new install? Is it really necessary? What do the experts say???

Greenman:
    OK, then. Can you access a share created by the MAC OS from the Win7 VM. For example, can you use the Win7 VM to open Computer and navigate to the shared mail folder? Or, are you saying that this is an exclusive Pegasus Mail issue and that Pegasus Mail is unable to see the mail folder? At the end of the day any application will use the OS to connect to a share. It is the OS that provides the networking technology enabling visibility of/access to shared resources.

I created a text file under windows, saved it to the  PMail directory on my mac.  Opened and successfully edited the file on the mac. Opened it in Win7, edited and saved.

I also created a text file on the Mac and saved it to the PMail directory on the mac.  Opened and successfully edited the file ontWin7. Opened it on the mac, edited and saved. Could see additional text added on Win7.

Is that what you were talking about?>

•  08-10-2017, 19:42

• Brian Fluet is not online. Last active: 10-16-2017, 3:34 Brian Fluet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 16,570

Re: MultiUser mode for new install? Is it really necessary? What do the experts say???

The fact that you can create and modify makes it look like you should not have any problem with mailboxes in this location (you'll want to confirm that you can delete).  An unknown with your tests is whether your navigation was only with file explorer utilities.  You'll want to make sure you can access D: from a command prompt in the virtual machine (hopefully your DOS command knowledge is adequate for you to test creating and deleting directories and renaming files).

If all is well, there shouldn't be any reason for the original advice by Greenman not to work.  You would copy your entire C:\PMAIL\MAIL directory to D:\MAIL (or whatever path you chose) then rename C:\PMAIL\MAIL to something like C:\PMAIL\MAIL_SAVED for safe keeping.  Now deleting the PMAIL.CFG and following his instructions for multi-user setup should work.

FWIW, the way single-user/multi-user installation is now handled is very confusing from a support standpoint.  The assumption has been that mailbox directories reside inside of \MAIL.  Now, a single/user install will make \MAIL the mailbox directory.  If someone then wants to change to multi-user, well, good luck with that.  My advice now is to always install multi-user.

Brian Fluet
  •  08-11-2017, 5:10

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-30-2012
    • Points 295

I can confirm that I can copy and delette files on that shared mac drive,

But today was pretty hectic and I didn't get a chance to do anything else.

Brian,

I know that we'd talked about a clean multi-user install but I've been working with my previous setup at this point, ie. single user with the old settings.  At this point I'm not being asked by Peggy to log im and that doesn't bother me. at all.  But I would like to know whether I can just point to the directory with my username hard coded into the path?  It will make things much easier for me.  The issue is whether it could cause other problems for me?

Thanks. again for everything, guys.

•  08-11-2017, 9:47

• Greenman is not online. Last active: 20 Oct 2017, 10:15 Greenman
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • UK
    • SuperStar
    • Points 12,480

One of the great things about Pegasus Mail is its resilience. You can move it around and change it and still works :) Our company has been using Pegasus Mail since the 90's. We originally had stand-alone installations pointing to a central server, but rapidly changed that to a single server installation from which the clients use links to the exe to open PM. I have moved it between servers and clients several times.

My point is that your settings etc., will not be affected by following the instructions given by Brian and myself. The key is make a backup of your mail folder. After deleting pmail.cfg and starting Pegasus it prompts you for the mail directory location. When you select it, either as a shared folder or as a UNC path, the mail account(s) will be listed in the right hand window of the navigation dialog. This lets you know you have selected the correct folder.

Once you OK the dialog, you are prompted for a user name. User names are stored in the pmail.usr file which can be examined with notepad in case you are not entirely certain what your username is.

You can create a shortcut that automatically opens your desired mail account:
    <path to>winpm-32.exe -i username

If you have several mail accounts you can create a shortcut for each one. If you need to have them open at the same time append -ms to the end of the shortcut. ms = multiple sessions:
    <path to>winpm-32.exe -i username -ms

•  08-15-2017, 15:10

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-30-2012
    • Points 295

Brian and Greenman,

I will forever be in your debt and I can't thank you enough!

My problems were two fold.  First I needed to run Peggy in Compatability mode for XP since my Win7 is 64 bit.  That led. to my second problem because I didn't have access to 32 bit help.  So I went back to my XP virtual machine (the vm has problems, but not the programs running within it) and discovered that I should NOT have been using the -ROAM parameter.  Once I took it out, I was in business,  as you can see...

WinPMail version: Version 4.72.572, Feb 19 2016, build ID 572
    Language resources: Standard UK English resource set
    Extension Manager version: 1.14
    Operating mode: Standalone
    User name and ID: Single-user mode, 0
    Windows version: 5.1
    Windows flag word: 0
    WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\PMAIL\Programs
    Home mailbox location: d:\PMAIL\Mail\Momnatur
    New mailbox location: d:\PMail\Mail\Momnatur\NewMail
    TMP environment variable: C:\Users\me-mac\AppData\Local\Temp
    TEMP environment variable: C:\Users\me-mac\AppData\Local\Temp
    LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N
    NetWare MHS support: N, N, N
    Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled
      - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0
      - WINSOCK path: WSOCK32.DLL
    Commandline:
    Active -Z options: 32768
    PMR variable: (None)
    PML variable: (None)
    MAI variable: (None)
    NB variable: (None)
    Autofiltering folders: 0 (0 active, 0 inactive)
    Last new mail count: 49
    Message size soft limit: 0 bytes
    Message size hard limit: 0 bytes
    Attachment size soft limit: 0 bytes
    Attachment size hard limit: 0 bytes

So, now I have 1200+ messages to bring down from the mail server and sort through... but it will be delightful since I'll be working in Peggy and not some debilitating and antiquated (excuse for an) email client onlline.

Then there the issue of getting the two vm's to talt to each other, but that's what Parallels tech support is for.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

p.s.  Did I say THANK YOU?!

•  08-16-2017, 2:51

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-30-2012
    • Points 295

Gentlemen,

I have another question about this scenario that I'd like for you to weigh in on.

The mac has a backup system that goes off at regular intervals, like two hours or so. 

The parallels guys offered Acronis for backing up the virtual machine, but suggest that the vm be closed first. They also say that Apple's backup system will not back up files that are open. 

Will my mailboxes get corrupted if a process tries to copy any part of the data while it is open?

Thanks again for everything.

•  08-16-2017, 3:38

• Brian Fluet is not online. Last active: 10-16-2017, 3:34 Brian Fluet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 16,570

The answer to your question is "probably" or maybe "eventually" is a better answer.  It's all about timing.   Corruption can occur whenever a file is accessed by an external app at the same time as Pegasus Mail is attempting to work with it.  As you probably know, Pegasus Mail updates a number of its configuration files on startup, on shutdown, and whenever a change is made.  It writes to the mail directory on message download and manipulation, and may reindex a folder whenever a certain amount of deletion has occurred.  All of this activity means that the safest time to backup Pegasus Mail files is when it is closed.  The same goes for AV scanning.

Brian Fluet
  •  08-16-2017, 9:45

• Greenman is not online. Last active: 20 Oct 2017, 10:15 Greenman
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • UK
    • SuperStar
    • Points 12,480

There are different types of backup programs and each have different capabilities.

Professional backup software (enterprise class) includes agents. An agent performs a specific task. For example, we use ARCServe and that includes an 'open files' agent which allows open files to be backed up. Ordinarily, if a file is open it is being used by a process, that file will be locked and the backup software will report a failure in its log. An agent can take the file as it exists and back it up without interfering with the process.

Acronis is disc imaging software. This is one of the best types of backup to create because you can literally start up the computer, access the BIOS and tell it to boot from the disc that Acronis created the image on. I used to use Acronis, and you had no choice but to reboot to use it because it kicked in and created the image before Windows loaded.

At the end of the day you should not be using your computer when you are creating a traditional backup onto external or internal media. You have no guarantee that the backup will contain a complete copy of your data if you have files in use. 

You could opt for online backup. I have recently gone down this route with my personal PC. The yearly cost is low, the process is automated, and the backup procedure grabs files when they are not being used. 

Page 2 of 2 (23 items)   < Previous 1 2
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page