Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Mercury C becomes more and more slowly when sending over port 587

Last post 06-30-2019, 15:27 by Joerg. 48 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (49 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-29-2019, 11:11

• Joerg is not online. Last active: 08-21-2019, 15:19 Joerg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2008
    • German Baltic Sea Coast
    • Contributor
    • Points 7,665

AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Mercury C becomes more and more slowly when sending over port 587

Greenman:
    I'm with  Sellerie on this - you need to speak to someone who knows how their mail servers work. Are some of their mail servers reaching capacity? Switching credentials may also force a switch of mail server (to one that is not over-burdened).

Or - are there any traffic throttling policies in place on your servers?

How should I do this? If I call (or mail / or chat) the ISP support and they tell me that their SMTP servers reject any mail delivery after reaching the monthly limit - should I tell them that I don't believe it? They don't escalate the ticket and don't forward me to any special support team.

I've got one option left. We could book an additional option "mail marketing" for about 5 €/m where the limit (5000 mails/month / max number of addresees of 200 per mail) will be increased. But with our about 4000 mails per month this would be not really necessary.

What about my other thought, that Mercury Core Process freezes when MercuryC is caught in the "reduced speed sending process". Does anybody experienced such things? Any local mails between our local Pmail users, which will be nevertheless routed via Mercury, will be queued and not processed until MercuryC has finished its sending jobs. Maybe anybody could try to send an email with a real big attachment which takes different minutes to transmit and check whether during MercuryC is sending, the Core Process is still processing local mail or not?

•  05-31-2019, 12:47

• Greenman is not online. Last active: 01 Jul 2019, 9:16 Greenman
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • UK
    • SuperStar
    • Points 14,300

Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Mercury C becomes more and more slowly when sending over port 587

I've never seen the behaviour you describe. Any slow-downs are usually because our Internet usage is being hammered - staff uploading large data sets etc. Mercury usually hums along quite nicely.
  •  06-01-2019, 9:27

• kwikzilver is not online. Last active: 06-01-2019, 9:41 kwikzilver
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2008
    • Amsterdam - The Netherlands
    • Points 325

Re: Mercury C becomes more and more slowly when sending over port 587

Hi,

I can confirm this issue to some extent.
    Yesterday I had a problem with MercuryC not sending mails at all.
    I am using Stunnel for the SSL connection to my ISP, and it appeared to be caused by Stunnel being broken (version 5.54 win-x64 appeared to have a bug).
    It took me some time to understand and fix this (skipping Stunnel, and directly letting MercuryC contact my ISPs SMTP server), so I had some mails in the queue.
    This were only a few messages, like 6 or so.
    But after the connection came up again, the sending of these messages was very slow, with one or two per minute or so. Note that these were just small messages (no attachments).
    Only after the queue was empty, normal behaviour re-initiated (when I now send several messages at once, they are all send immediately).
    Does this sound familiar?
    Could it be that it is caused by the internet connection temporary being lost?
  •  06-11-2019, 16:21

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2008
    • Contributor
    • Points 7,665

AW: Re: Mercury C becomes more and more slowly when sending over port 587

Hi Guys,

Maybe somebody could assess this:

Today we experience such a slow-down of MercuryC again. I did quit Mercury (Menu > File > Exit) during the ongoing slow SMTP sending process, followed by a restart of Mercury. The SMTP client log (TCP-190611-1325-487.MC) shows now the following last lines:

15:34:19.385: << tvEXIAUVIAM1BqMLT2TonXr+VNO71JWrKcd7JciTygvyAscnmp7G5a6j+dcHOKwIZWtmZgcNggir<cr><lf>
    15:34:19.495: << em3ZEygg7eScVcoqxvKKsa83pWfefu4Hb0FaD/M2azNVO2xf3qIbmUdzMMR+yrOh5GMmtZbphZ2l<cr><lf>
    15:34:19.588: << 0OsbbH+lQWEXmaQRjqDUGlymW1urVu65H1FazVzuw8nexT1+08i+85RhJhvFNs3DxFexGMVfvP8A<cr><lf>
    15:34:19.698: << TtF5OZLc/pWPZsVcD0relK8bGtRalSVfLmYDsa3NEujHMj5+6ayr1R9oYjvzT7GQpKK0nG8TGauj<cr><lf>
    15:34:19.807: << 1RG3IGB4PNSA1maTN52nxsTyBg1fBryZqzscjJiNwNZOqwMbYnHGa1lNEsImt3WktAOKZccHmp9O<cr><lf>
    15:34:19.916: << mktLoSIDz1FWrmycPgL+NT2djtcMwrVzTQM345jMitjGR0qrqrYgXOOvcZqxHwMVS1Y4RATjnsxH<cr><lf>
    15:34:20.745: [!] OpenSSL reported a write error (5) - error queue follows:
    15:34:21.151: [!] -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the Open SSL write error caused by my manually released Mercury exit? Or could the OpenSSL libriary the source of the problem?

•  06-11-2019, 20:56

• Sellerie is not online. Last active: 2019/08/07, 21:50 Sellerie
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-10-2014
    • Points 1,145

Re: AW: Re: Mercury C becomes more and more slowly when sending over port 587

I think the problem could be caused by both. I use stunnel as external proxy since many years because their ssl-libs are updated more frequently...

The creditials for MercuryC are the same and only the "Smart host name" needs to be changed to i suggest 127.0.0.1 with port 2525. The stunnel related config would be:

[securesmtp.t-online.de]

CAfile  = C:\stunnel\certs\peer-securesmtp.t-online.de.pem

checkHost = securesmtp.t-online.de

verify  = 2

verifyPeer = yes

client  = yes

accept  = 127.0.0.1:2525

connect = securesmtp.t-online.de:465

•  06-12-2019, 10:36

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2008
    • Contributor
    • Points 7,665

AW: Re: Mercury C becomes more and more slowly when sending over port 587

Just spoken with another support guy of our ISP (1&1 IONOS Germany). He took more time than his colleagues before, but the result is not even better: The problem should be that the MercuryC SMTP client is sending all outgoing mails (from all of my colleagues with their own personal sender addresses) always with only one and the same user credentials for authentication at the ISP SMTP mail server.

I told him that these user credentials are intended for authentication purposes with the ISP mail server only, and that nevertheless each single mail has its own sender address. But is seems this doesn't matter. For the ISP mail server it looks like only one user is sending soo many mails and this might cause to trigger a throttle filter (because of spam?).

On the other hand he told me that mails will either be processed or rejected. He is not aware about any throttling. Crying

Anyway. Now I have changed the SMTP server address with our ISP since 1&1 has recently changed to IONOS. The support guy told me that the old SMTP server address might work with old filters on old servers and I should change to another server address. This will be checked right now.

I'm interesting in your experiences when submitting mails via MercuryC using only one user credentials for all of your mail addresses. How do other mail servers than Mercury handle this problem? Is it possible that submissions of e-mails have to be authenticated for each single mail with their own (different) user authentication?

•  06-12-2019, 11:21

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • UK
    • SuperStar
    • Points 14,300

Our setup is different to yours in that we have always used a professional mail filtering service. We presently use Proofpoint and MercuryC connects to a 'smarthost' address. We only require one set of credentials which authenticate us and allow us to connect to the service. We have to classify accounts as 'End user', 'alias', or 'functional'.

End user is a typical user account and everyone is an end user. Alias accounts are for when a member of staff uses more than one account (e.g. an account for a project), and functional accounts are specifically allowed to send email in bulk and are, therefore, excluded from bulk filtering rules. When an end user account attempts to send in bulk the first few messages will be sent but the remainder are refused. As far as I am aware we have never experienced throttling per se.

•  06-12-2019, 14:00

• Brian Fluet is not online. Last active: 08-24-2019, 20:50 Brian Fluet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 26,065

Joerg:
    I'm interesting in your experiences when submitting mails via MercuryC using only one user credentials for all of your mail addresses. How do other mail servers than Mercury handle this problem? Is it possible that submissions of e-mails have to be authenticated for each single mail with their own (different) user authentication?

I've had an ISP that required the From: match the username in the authentication credential.  It forced me to switch to MercuryE.  I've since found that my domain host would allow me to use their SMTP without this restriction so I tested with MercuryC handling the auto-forwards and MercuryE handling the outgoing.  That's how I remain. 

Keep in mind that I have two running instances of Mercury, one handling incoming ( Mercury D, C, & I), one handling outgoing (Mercury E & S).

•  06-12-2019, 14:26

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2008
    • Contributor
    • Points 7,665

AW: Re: AW: Re: Mercury C becomes more and more slowly when sending over port 587

Brian Fluet:
    ... so I tested with MercuryC handling the auto-forwards and MercuryE handling the outgoing.  That's how I remain.

Hi Brian,

what's the difference between "auto-forwards" and "outgoing". Do you mean the function of the "FORWARD" file which may be placed in user directories? Why you don't use MercuryE also for that auto-forwardings?

But anyway, MercuryE is a good hint, which I should consider as an alternative to MercuryC. I have to read the manual .... Idea

•  06-12-2019, 14:59

• Brian Fluet is not online. Last active: 08-24-2019, 20:50 Brian Fluet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 26,065

Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Mercury C becomes more and more slowly when sending over port 587

Joerg:
    what's the difference between "auto-forwards" and "outgoing". Do you mean the function of the "FORWARD" file which may be placed in user directories? Why you don't use MercuryE also for that auto-forwardings?

Yes, auto-forwards produced by the FORWARD file.  Why?  Because sometimes I'm lazy.  I used my "incoming" Mercury instance to test MercuryC on the SMTP of my domain host; it worked; I didn't see a compelling reason to change it.  That may soon change because I have recently started seeing rejections by receiving servers because of the From: header mismatch.  It's occasional now but if they become more common I'll have to consider MercuryE or force users to access by IMAP rather than auto-forwarding every message to the email account of their devices.

•  06-12-2019, 16:26

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2008
    • Contributor
    • Points 7,665

AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Mercury C becomes more and more slowly when sending over port 587

Do I understand it in the right way that MercuryE doesn't need any authentication credentials for mail submissions? In opposition to MercuryC, MercuryE is delivering the mails directly to the destination MX server and needs only a name resolution but no authentication. Do MX servers accept any mails which are intended for their own domain name space without authentication?

Further I did not find any info about needed ports to be opened when directly communicating with destination MX servers. Is anything else to be observed? Since years this would be the first time that I ever switch away from MercuryC. Tongue Tied

•  06-12-2019, 16:59

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • UK
    • SuperStar
    • Points 14,300

Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Mercury C becomes more and more slowly when sending over port 587

That's right. MercuryE is 'end-to-end' mail delivery. You are not using an ISP or mail filtering service to deliver your mail. MercuryE looks up the MX record for the receiving domain and delivers it directly to that address.
  •  06-12-2019, 17:01

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • UK
    • SuperStar
    • Points 14,300

Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Mercury C becomes more and more slowly when sending over port 587

Note, though, that your own DNS txt records: SPF and DKIM (if you use them) must be set up correctly for this work.
  •  06-12-2019, 17:35

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2008
    • Contributor
    • Points 7,665

AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Mercury C becomes more and more slowly when sending over port 587

Greenman:
    Note, though, that your own DNS txt records: SPF and DKIM (if you use them) must be set up correctly for this work.

Thanks greenman. Just read something about SPF and DKIM. But our domain "company.com" with its website is hosted by our ISP. And our local domain "company.mbh", managed by our Windows domain controller (which would send the mails with domain "company.com"), is not reachable from the internet for any SPF and DKIM requests. Does MercuryE works nevertheless? Or is there a bigger risk that we are landing on any spam blacklists if no DKIM/SPF records are available?

•  06-13-2019, 10:29

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • UK
    • SuperStar
    • Points 14,300

Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Mercury C becomes more and more slowly when sending over port 587

DNS records are usually accessible via the registrar you used to register your domain name. If you manage your public DNS records - A, PTR etc., via your Windows server then it must be publicly accessible otherwise your domain's A records would not be available - meaning the public would not be able to access your website (DNS resolution for company.com would fail).

If you use SPF/DKIM they must be set up correctly. We had an issue where I made an incorrect amendment to our SPF record and email was thereafter being rejected by BT.com They only continued accepting mail again once the syntax had been corrected. However, SPF/DKIM records are not a requirement for successful SMTP delivery/validation. We use them to authorise Proofpoint and Google to deliver mail on our behalf, and to explicitly allow (validate) mail to be sent from both our office IP address and our website host's IP address.

Page 2 of 4 (49 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page