Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

PMICAL 3.4 available

Last post 01-21-2020, 19:52 by irelam. 59 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (60 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-08-2019, 9:29

• Joerg is not online. Last active: 05-25-2020, 19:48 Joerg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2008
    • German Baltic Sea Coast
    • Star
    • Points 9,900

AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: PMICAL 3.4 available

Brian, with our Pmail network installation unfortunately we are the minority Tongue Tied, means for the majority of the Pmail single installations the discovery of the user mailbox directory via Registry Key should work.

I've checked some different machines here and found some machines with that RegKey and some without. I remember that sometimes I've firstly made a local installation of Pmail to make "Pmail" available in the Windows list of standard applications for mail (mailto: / sendto:). But in the meantime I only add a link to the server share where wsendto.exe resides within Firefox and additionally within folder C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo\. That's why the availability of a RegKey to the user mailbox directory is not ensured in general.

In general I'm with Brian and would prefer the dropping of work and report files into user's mailbox directory. And for our minority shared network installation, we (Administrators) could manually check/adapt the path to user's mailboxes within pmical.ini subsequently, in case PMICAL neither found a local mailbox directory nor RegKey. But this would lead to only 1 mailbox directory path within the central pmical.ini! We've got up to 20 user mailboxes here. I think it doesn't work.

Further, here with us, we could start Pmail with different local users from each machine, means PMICAL should have to discover the choosen user (from Pmail) when it will be called by an incoming invitation mail. Don't know whether this is practical.

I think it's really the better way to avoid keeping of work and report files. From my point of view this is not really necessary. If I need such a work/report file again, I have simply to open the invitation mail again. And in this case we could still use %temp% for that files and directly delete them after closing the PMICAL window or invitation mail. There would be only one issue remaining (sorry for that Martin): In our great network installation Big Smile we are also able to simultaneously open two Pmail instances, where each of them are connected to another user (means user mailbox). And in the rare case that both inboxes contain invitation mails, PMICAL would create its work files at %temp% for both users simultaneously as well. Maybe this could lead to conflicts.

ps:

Martin, I've received your mail with pmicalhelp.htm. It would be a pleasure for me to check it but at the moment I would wait until the final working directories and connected stuff are settled. Is this ok?

Mercury 4.81.187 @Windows Server 2016, with 16-100 user licence
    Pegasus 4.73.639, network installation
  •  08-08-2019, 18:20

• irelam is not online. Last active: 05-30-2020, 2:38 irelam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • SuperStar
    • Points 22,950
    • BetaTeam Moderator

Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: PMICAL 3.4 available

Bill, Joerg and Euler,

I am halting the issue of this latest update and its associated Help file until this file location issue can be put to rest with everybody's agreement. In summary it would seem that for Network users there is a issue as to where the Pmical.ini (and thereby the Pmicaldir= value) is located, and how I can be expected to find it.

Martin

•  10-08-2019, 17:10

• asdf90 is not online. Last active: 11-05-2019, 15:13 asdf90
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-04-2011
    • Points 60

Re: AW: PMICAL 3.4 available

Martin,

thanks for your reply. Pmical still asks me about my Email Address. Is there a special place where you have to place the line MyEmailAddress=xx@yy.com? Are there quotes "" necessary?

Moreover, in the messages I get the attachement has no name ("-" when I save it). Therefore, Pmical does nothing by its own. I have to save the file with a suitable name and drop it on Pmical. Any solution for that?

Best regards

Edmund

•  10-08-2019, 21:06

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • SuperStar
    • Points 22,950
    • BetaTeam Moderator

Hello,

My Pmical.ini contains the line with no quotes:

myemailaddress=irelam17@telus.net

Second point, if you are looking at the attachments dialog display, and see the file being sent to you is showing a period "."  There is nothing that can be done. You will need to save the file with a name like temporary.ics. But I wonder if you have installed the NewMail filters for Pmical ?  The condition you are reporting is where the only way to process the as-is is to read the whole message  file, looking for BEGIN:VCALENDAR

Pmical does this automatically if you install the NewMail filtering ruleset.

Martin

•  10-08-2019, 23:03

• asdf90 is not online. Last active: 11-05-2019, 15:13 asdf90
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-04-2011
    • Points 60

Dear Martin,

great!.

I found the filter rules in http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/51079.aspx.

It takes some time to put them in, but it seems to work. At least a message that I forwarded to myself opened pmical and showed me the date.

Thanks

Edmund

•  10-09-2019, 2:39

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • SuperStar
    • Points 22,950
    • BetaTeam Moderator

Glad to hear things are getting better. Don't hesitate to ask me questions., or make comments etc  FYI there is a new update in beta test right now, so watch for the news on the update, that I put on Community Downloads page

Martin

•  10-29-2019, 12:48

Re: PMICAL 3.4 available

I receive a pop-up window with the title

MyEmailAddress missing in Pmical.ini

Enter Email address

Whatever I tried appears not to have been successful. Can someone give me a little advice or put my nose on what I have overlooked, please? 

Thanks and best regards, Siegfried 

--
    Dr.Siegfried Selberherr
  •  10-29-2019, 15:58

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • SuperStar
    • Points 22,950
    • BetaTeam Moderator

Hello,

My Pmical.ini is located in my newmail durectory c:\pmail\mail\admin,  and contains the following lines:

tracing=false
    myemailaddress=irelam17@telus.net
    mytzid=mdt

Martin

•  10-30-2019, 8:20

Hi Martin,

I have adapted the Pmical.ini file accordingly, but I still receive the pop-up window?

Best regards, Siegfried

--
    Dr.Siegfried Selberherr
  •  10-30-2019, 10:18

• idw is not online. Last active: Sat, May 30 2020, 15:59 idw
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 49,505
    • BetaTeam

irelam:
    Second point, if you are looking at the attachments dialog display, and see the file being sent to you is showing a period "."  There is nothing that can be done. You will need to save the file with a name like temporary.ics.

Martin, I don't know whether it applies here since I've never had do deal with calendar messages so far, but from what I learned while dealing with VIEWER.PM when trying to fix the IER image display failure it might be an idea to add some additional entries to it to force Pegasus Mail into adding proper filename extensions when there are none in the message: The first one would by for the ICS file extension, the second one for its MIME type. IOW:

1. for the file extension add 1;.ICS;.ics;[default application]
    2. for the MIME type add 2;text/calendar;.ics;[default application]
    [default application] may just be a dash which represents the system's default application - or the path and filename of any other preferred application (PMICAL?). The second entry is especially useful if the sender only supplies the MIME type but no filename.

Edit: I could get a message for testing, will come back to this thread later today!

Michael

--
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
  •  10-30-2019, 11:00

• Joerg is not online. Last active: 05-25-2020, 19:48 Joerg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2008
    • German Baltic Sea Coast
    • Star
    • Points 9,900

AW: Re: AW: PMICAL 3.4 available

Martin,

Any news regarding the update of pmical for multi user environments, where all users are working on the same Pmail\programs folder at a server share but with own mailbox directories? We are still at pmical version 2.50.0.1082, which is working fine until now. When I remember, you've set your last development "on hold" due to problems with handling of working/temp files.

Mercury 4.81.187 @Windows Server 2016, with 16-100 user licence
    Pegasus 4.73.639, network installation
  •  10-30-2019, 13:08

• Brian Fluet is not online. Last active: 05-30-2020, 4:55 Brian Fluet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 31,010

Martin,

Introduced in PMICAL 3.4 was installation of the PMICAL files, except pmical.exe, into a \pmical subdirectory of the new mail directory rather than in the new mail directory itself.  This is contrary to your pmical.ini file being in your new mailbox directory. 

Also, it appears that folks who upgrade to 3.4 following its instructions can end up with two pmail.ini files, one in drive:\...newmail and one in drive:\...newmail\pmical. 

Keep in mind that the new mailbox directory may not be the same as the home mailbox directory commonly referred to as c:\pmail\mail\admin.

•  10-30-2019, 15:10

• idw is not online. Last active: Sat, May 30 2020, 15:59 idw
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 49,505
    • BetaTeam

Attachment: Calendar.jpg
    idw:
    1. for the file extension add 1;.ICS;.ics;[default application]
    2. for the MIME type add 2;text/calendar;.ics;[default application]
    [default application] may just be a dash which represents the system's default application - or the path and filename of any other preferred application (PMICAL?). The second entry is especially useful if the sender only supplies the MIME type but no filename.

Edit: I could get a message for testing, will come back to this thread later today!

OK, did the testing and the results are: Partial success, i.e. a double-click on the ICAL attachment now launches the default or user defined application, but if using any of the options requiring a user defined filename it still doesn't make any suggestions aside from the already known single dash. For those preferring not to edit VIEWER.PM directly here's the dialog for entering the MIME type on the Content viewers page of Pegasus Mail's Options dialog:

Michael

--
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
  •  10-30-2019, 18:35

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • SuperStar
    • Points 22,950
    • BetaTeam Moderator

Where have you placed the Pmical.ini? I look in several places, In the Pegasus Mail executables directory, the NewMail directory, and where Pmical gets executed from (not just in the Pegasus Mail setup) and also in the Windows Registry.  The networked user problem brought up the problem that the NewMail and Mailbox directories are not the same in their cases. In those cases, I can't be sure which directory to choose.  Discussions on-going....

I hope to get this solved soon, as there seem to be a number of new users discovering Pmical.  Just to let you know, I have also been working on the administration of event requests, complicated by the introduction of yet another Microsoft Office version  (with changes of course). This will allow Pegasus Mail users to create events that can be imported by Outlook, and Apple Mail.

So let me know your setup and I will investigate the issue. It should be easy to fix.

Martin

•  10-30-2019, 18:42

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • SuperStar
    • Points 22,950
    • BetaTeam Moderator

The MyEmailAddress= line is needed in Pmical.ini.  The address needs no quotes.  You may have seen several items in this thread about the "-"  filename problem in the attachments dialog. Nothing can be done to solve this except, you can do a Save As and give it a real name, ie Temp.ics,  or preferably add the Newmail rules to detect the actual content of the file.

Martin

Page 2 of 4 (60 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page