Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

How To Show HTML Image-Links in Emails?

Last post 01-24-2020, 0:23 by idw. 18 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (19 items)   < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-18-2020, 19:08

• idw is not online. Last active: Tue, Feb 18 2020, 14:27 idw
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 48,690
    • BetaTeam

Re: How To Show HTML Image-Links in Emails?

Joerg:
    Why IER still doesn't show all external linked images, even external images have been activated? Often 99% of the linked images within such a html mail will be shown but some others not. They are marked with a small crossed black rectangle and the description "Temporary Redirect (307)". What doest it mean? Other Mail Clients are able to show them. Michael, maybe you have also subscribed to the Heise Security News. This is a nice example where the Heise Logo at the top of the mail is not visible.

Well, excuse me for a little rant here: Somebody else here who's job I need to do? Most of you certainly use Pegasus Mail because of it's special privacy/security/safety features, and I always tried to keep IER in line with these expectations. IOW: IER should avoid to follow redirections since you never know where you get directed to in such cases, so I implemented a security option disabling redirections by default in IER's configuration which affects image redirections as well as message source redirections. One of my expectations towards you would be to have checked IER's docs and options for understanding these features.

So well again, to come to an happy ending here: If you enable redirection in IER's configuration you will finally get to see these images you have been missing so far. And just for the record: I'm a longtime subscriber to the Heise Security Newsletter. Smile

Michael

--
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
  •  01-18-2020, 20:29

• Joerg is not online. Last active: 02-19-2020, 13:28 Joerg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2008
    • German Baltic Sea Coast
    • Contributor
    • Points 8,430

idw:
    ... Well, excuse me for a little rant here: Somebody else here who's job I need to do? Most of you certainly use Pegasus Mail because of it's special privacy/security/safety features, and I always tried to keep IER in line with these expectations. IOW: IER should avoid to follow redirections since you never know where you get directed to in such cases, so I implemented a security option disabling redirections by default in IER's configuration which affects image redirections as well as message source redirections. One of my expectations towards you would be to have checked IER's docs and options for understanding these features.

So well again, to come to an happy ending here: If you enable redirection in IER's configuration you will finally get to see these images you have been missing so far. And just for the record: I'm a longtime subscriber to the Heise Security Newsletter Smile

Big Smile  No problem Michael, you are right. Sorry for my ignorance. But you have to understand the other hand also a little bit: I'm not a full-time IT admin in our small company like many others here, but have to maintain the hard- and software beside my "normal" work. And that's why I adjust as many things as much in the easiest way to get the most reliable performance that I can to forget it and take care of my normal work. It's not the best situation, I know. But once adjusted, Pmail runs and I can forget it. That's why we still using it and I would like to thank all of the programmers for their great work.

But Pegasus Mail also needs many different "third-party" add-ons, like IER, BearHtml, Pmical, etc. to achieve a similar functionality of other modern mail clients. And for each add-on we have to read another manual or doc. That's why the advantage of Pmail could also to be understood as disadvantage. While I could choose "check for updates" with other softwares, I have to check all installed Pmail add-ons manually, has to remember how to install them or what has to be observed when installing them on a server.

Further my users often bother me: "why my html mails look so unlovely." In that case I show them how to activate external image links within mails, but have forgotten why still some images keep hidden.

I guess as long as such forums are available, users (like me) will ask the same questions again and again, and programmers and guys who have a notion of something will answer again and again. Sorry for that.

Nevertheless thanks for answering and giving me a clue where I could find something about the linked images.

Mercury 4.81.187 @Windows Server 2016, with 16-100 user licence
    Pegasus 4.73.639, network installation
  •  01-19-2020, 0:53

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 48,690
    • BetaTeam

Joerg:
    Big Smile  No problem Michael, you are right. Sorry for my ignorance. But you have to understand the other hand also a little bit: I'm not a full-time IT admin in our small company like many others here, but have to maintain the hard- and software beside my "normal" work. And that's why I adjust as many things as much in the easiest way to get the most reliable performance that I can to forget it and take care of my normal work.

I'm doing all the work for Pegasus Mail in my spare time as long as it's fun doing so. Due to my job conditions I wasn't able to keep it up to date until about a year ago, so I know something about what you're telling me. Because of my health conditions I'm going to resign from my job this year which will again change a lot in my life, but I think I can keep up providing support for Pegasus Mail nevertheless for the foreseeable future ...

Michael

--
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
  •  01-24-2020, 0:23

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 48,690
    • BetaTeam

Brian Fluet:
    One thing that I think would help is a text file that advises which files go where.  That would save the step of having to locate and then replace.

I've now added some hints to the history file. Aside from this, there's another update providing two minor fixes I'm sure you wouldn't want to miss. Wink

Michael

--
Page 2 of 2 (19 items)   < Previous 1 2
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page