Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

4.6 to 4.73 Upgrade Issue -- Sudden POP3 Socket Timeout on All Emails

Last post 01-15-2020, 3:22 by jomar2. 28 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (29 items)   < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-07-2020, 0:41

• idw is online. Last active: Wed, Jan 29 2020, 22:36 idw
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 48,580
    • BetaTeam

Re: 4.6 to 4.73 Upgrade Issue -- Sudden POP3 Socket Timeout on All Emails

Attachment: SMTP.jpg
    jomar2:
    Love that.

Since creating a new POP3 host, the SMTP is screwed as well.
    The short version is 
     334 535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: UGFzc3dvcmQ6.

It's very likely that your SMTP definition used a POP3 definition for authentication, so all you need to do is to open the SMTP definitions of your indentities and replace the respective POP3 definition used for authentication with the new one (it might as well be the prior login option not ticked in my sample below).

BTW: You would have to set up the same definitions in a new installation as well ...

Michael

--
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
  •  01-07-2020, 1:26

• jomar2 is not online. Last active: 01-15-2020, 13:04 jomar2
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2020
    • Points 450

Found it, checking it out, thank you!

•  01-07-2020, 2:05

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2020
    • Points 450

Okay, this makes no sense to me--but might tell you something...

POP3 still timing out. 

First, I forgot to go in and give the SMTP the new password. Done and working again.

Then--as you suggested--I went in and told the SMTP to use the POP3 definition / login info from the new POP3 host I created.

And the SMTP works while using the same POP3 info that DOESN'T work for POP3 mail retrieval.

What possible explanation is there for that?

Possibly relevant notes: 
    My SMTP is set to use STARTTLS, my POP3 is set (per domain host instructions) to Never.
    The box at the bottom of my SMTP Security settings is checked (Do not use CRAM-MD5...), while the one you show is unchecked.

•  01-07-2020, 2:21

• Brian Fluet is not online. Last active: 01-29-2020, 16:06 Brian Fluet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 28,835

Could the server address be invalid in the POP3 definition? 

Maybe the specified port is invalid; one the server doesn't respond on? 

I think this could explain the timeout without any communication being logged. 

•  01-07-2020, 2:22

jomar2:

Love that.

Since creating a new POP3 host, the SMTP is screwed as well.

The short version is  334 535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: UGFzc3dvcmQ6.

Can someone point me to explicit and comprehensive instructions for setting up an entirely new instance of PM 4.73 from scratch? Already downloaded onto a different external drive, but it's been 10 or 15 years since I set this up, and someone walked me through it at the time. Not seeing this in the FAQs. Thanks!

How? We know nothing about your mail provider! Please provide at least its name so we can go to their FAQ/Support after their requisites to send/retrieve mail, and maybe we can send you some answers. Below are my settings for a GMX account. We need to know at least the URL, ports, security protocol, and authentication of both POP3 and SMTP servers. Of course you have to provide the correct login and password to make it tick, things like this:

HTH

Best,

euler f german
    sete lagoas, mg, brazil
    Pegasus Mail 4.73.639 Standalone - Windows 7 Ultimate
    BearHTML 4.9.9.6 IERenderer 2.6.3.2
    Binaries: C:\PMAIL\Programs
    Mailboxes: C:\PMAIL\MAIL

InsPMDic — Dictionary Handler Add-on (link on profile)
  •  01-07-2020, 2:29

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2020
    • Points 450

The port is 110, double-checked with domain host.

Where do I find the server address? Does that mean the "server host name?" Checked that as well: mail.mydomain.com. Been the same for 10+years. 

If the server address or the port was bad--wouldn't that cause SMTP to fail as well, when using the POP3 definition? 

•  01-07-2020, 16:36

• idw is online. Last active: Wed, Jan 29 2020, 22:36 idw
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 48,580
    • BetaTeam

jomar2:
    If the server address or the port was bad--wouldn't that cause SMTP to fail as well, when using the POP3 definition? 

This might depend on which option you're using for SMTP: If using the one checked in my screenshot apparently only un/pw are (re)used, if "Do prior POP3 login ..." is enabled it very likely would (just telling by the wording, I don't know the details of the implementation).

Michael

--
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
  •  01-07-2020, 17:18

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 28,835

jomar2:
    Where do I find the server address? Does that mean the "server host name?"

Yes

jomar2:

This was answered by idw. 

I'm struggling to understand why an upgrade of Pegasus Mail would have caused your problem, which appears to be with the physical connection by Pegasus Mail to the POP3 server.  You could try sending a telnet command to the POP3 server on port 110 to see what response you get.  You may need to enable the telnet client in Windows if it hasn't been.  I am also aware of a Test-NetConnection function that is built into PowerShell but I've never used it.

•  01-07-2020, 23:41

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2020
    • Points 450

Yes, checking DO PRIOR POP3 LOGIN causes SMTP to cease working. So I unchecked that again.

I'm starting to wonder if a whole new install would be easier, but I'm not finding any comprehensive setup instructions in the FAQ...

I also wonder if the same problem would crop up--could something have changed on my computer, either because of or coincidentally with the Pegasus update? There has been one improvement since the update; lately PM would freeze up a LOT. It would work for a while, then stop while "Applying mail filtering rules" I think it was. That's not happening anymore.

Many thanks for your patience on this. Hopefully I haven't found the one problem that can't be fixed...

:) 

•  01-08-2020, 0:41

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2020
    • Points 450

Thanks for your patience as well. So, I enabled Telnet, tried command "mail.mydomain.com 110" and am told it's an invalid command. Same if I put "telnet" before it or "local echo" after.

Called domain host support, they say whatever the issue is, not on their side; other POP3s on same server working fine. Guy on phone unfamiliar with Telnet.

Now, I DID renew my SSL certificate for this domain, old one deleted, new one implemented on DEC 26. PM 4.6 was retrieving mail after that--but it's been suggested that the new version 4.73 might need some kind of "outgoing server requires secure authentication" info. Or that the new SSL cert with its new Cert-Key-CSR (whatever they are) might need to be specified within PM? (I don't recall doing that with PM when the first SSL cert was installed, though.)

Been using PM forever and recommending to friends; would REALLY like to figure this out and stay with it. 

•  01-08-2020, 2:14

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 28,835

I suggest opening up the POP3 host definition and then go to its Security tab and click the Help button.  There is lots of info in there about certificates.  Manually entering a certificate fingerprint appears the best way to go if you can get it.  There is also the option for disabling certificate validation.  This sounds risky (I don't have any idea how risky) but it might be worth testing to see whether the connection works when validation is disabled.

I don't see how the "outgoing server requires secure authentication" info suggestion fits in considering we're talking about a POP3 connection.

As for telnet,  it doesn't work because the telnet client is not enabled by default on Windows OSes since XP.  You have to go into Programs and Feature and add it or use the previously mentioned PowerShell function.

Has anything changed in your firewall?  Perhaps Pmail v4.6 was granted some permission that v4.73 doesn't have?  Grasping at straws here.

As for a clean installation,  I don't think it will gain you anything but a test installation on a USB device would be a way to determine whether the problem is machine specific.  You could configure it just enough to test POP3.

If you do this, the installer will see the existing installation and assume "upgrade".  You don't what an upgrade but want to provide the installer with the path where the new installation should go.  The installation process will prompt you for the POP3 and SMTP host definitions; you can ignore the SMTP one if only testing POP3.  Configure the POP3 one to leave mail on the server so that your other instance can retrieve them once you get it working.  You will need to include the -ROAM option in the command line that starts the USB instance (eg: x:\pmail\programs\winpm-32.exe -A -ROAM).  Run one instance of Pegasus Mail at a time to avoid receiving a warning about multiple instances.  Note, this can be circumvented but can be dangerous if not careful.  I think it best not add it to the mix now.

Finally, the Pegasus Mail manual is located in its programs directory as a file named MANUAL.PDF.

•  01-08-2020, 9:22

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2020
    • Points 450

Thank you. I did enable Telnet after searching on the web. But those particular Telnet commands--also found on the web (same page)--appear to be invalid. Was going to try your security tab ideas, but clicking on HELP does nothing. I can see a second window Pegasus Help System when hovering over PM on the task bar, but it is blank but for the title and will not maximize.

As to firewall, I did install Norton a month or so back, but that was well before this problem surfaced. Something that's probably irrelevant: in 4.6, there was a blank email in outgoing for a year or more that never sent and couldn't be deleted. When I updated to 4.73, it finally disappeared.

The problem itself is not machine-specific; because PM is already on an external drive, one of the first things I did was run PM off my laptop (Windows 10, never used with PM before)--and got the same thing. So if my domain host is right and it's not them--it has to be this particular copy of PM, right? (Unless it could somehow be my modem or router?)

I start PM using X:/pmail/winpm-32.exe -a -roam -I admin (which I learned from someone in this forum). I've now installed a separate copy on a different external drive, but have not yet gone in and set it up. 

Now that I know where to find the manual (thanks for that!), I'm thinking to set up the other external-drive copy and try running it from both machines. If that's successful, I'll look at how to bring 15 years of emails into the new copy--and hope I don't bring the problem in with it.

Any thoughts appreciated.

•  01-13-2020, 15:25

I copied (over) 15 years of emails from an old PC to a new Windows 10 PC, no problem.  Steps:

1.  Note the folder where Pegasus is installed on the old PC - in my case that's C:\Pmail

2.  Download and install a fresh PM 4.73 on the new PC.

-  install it to the identical folder, C:\Pmail

-  set it up as a single mailbox user (assuming that matches the setup on your old PC)

-  this should create folders C:\Pmail\Programs and C:\Pmail\MAIL

3.  Exit the Pmail program on the new PC 

4.  From the old PC, find the actual mail folder which contains all the .CNM files - in my case that was C:\Pmail\MAIL\ADMIN but yours should probably be C:\Pmail\MAIL

5.  Copy the entire contents of that folder into C:\Pmail\MAIL on the new PC - this includes PMAIL.INI which contains your settings

6.  You can look at PMAIL.INI using a text editor, it should contain all the POP3 settings and much else.  (But I'd advise against editing or saving it, as even a small change in line terminations or spacing could create an invalid .INI file)

7.  Start the Pmail program on the new PC - Pegasus should notice that it is opening a mailbox from an old version of Pegasus and so it should show a 'Whats New' message

If you are still experiencing the POP3 connectivity issue, I would start by "simplifying the issue".  For example, if you have Pegasus set to check multiple POP3 mailboxes, disable the others and have it check only the mailbox causing the problem.  Get POP3 fetching working correctly before you try to fix SMTP.  Can you still run the old copy of Pegasus?  What happens if you check the same POP3 mailbox using the old copy of Pegasus?  Can you bring up the POP3 settings side by side on both versions and check visually they are the same?

You can ensure it is not a firewall or Windows 10 issue, by making a complete folder-to-folder copy of Pmail onto the new machine - i.e. don't update to 4.73 as above, keep with the old Pegasus version.  If the same version of Pegasus works on one PC but not another, then now you know that it's not a Pegasus version upgrade issue.

I apologise if these all seem like basic steps you have already tried, it's difficult to troubleshoot an issue I am not experiencing myself...

•  01-15-2020, 3:22

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2020
    • Points 450

Thanks! Been using webmail for a few days now; will keep your instructions near-at-hand while setting up / migrating to new install.
Page 2 of 2 (29 items)   < Previous 1 2
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page