Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

International spell-checking

Last post 06-08-2012, 17:23 by irelam. 32 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (33 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-10-2008, 23:39

• irelam is not online. Last active: 05-30-2020, 2:38 irelam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • SuperStar
    • Points 22,950
    • BetaTeam Moderator

Re: International spell-checking

French spell-checker is already available, using the TinySpell application.You need two files from the

download Add-ons/ Language Modules area in the Community website:

French language dictionary
    TinySpell spelling checker

Instead of underlining, TinySpell pops up a tiny window with the word in question. 

Keying in Ctrl + ; brings up the menu of choices and actions

Martin

•  08-10-2008, 23:42

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • SuperStar
    • Points 22,950
    • BetaTeam Moderator

Bearhtml 3.1.3 is the distribution version.  Upgrades are always available at my website, but they tend to be beta versions.  Things have been changing so much recently, that there has not been a period of stability that I could say with certainty that an upgrade was 'stable'.

BTW current beta on my website is 4.6.1 !!

Martin

•  09-06-2008, 4:05

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • SuperStar
    • Points 22,950
    • BetaTeam Moderator

The beta versions on my website are small changes to address the many badly coded emails. The main new upgrade is Bearhtml 4.6.3 which matches with the new Pegasus Mail beta 4.5

Martin

•  10-15-2008, 1:51

It's not possible to have spellcheck already embedded, instead of installing TinySpell?

Then the users would only download their languages files...

•  10-15-2008, 9:15

It's a current ongoing testers discussion on how to do full internationalization of Pegasus Mail.
    Kind regards / Peter
  •  10-23-2008, 22:47

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • SuperStar
    • Points 22,950
    • BetaTeam Moderator

There have been some major language re-structuring, for which at present there are no TinySpell compatable dictionaries (i.e Germany). The ISpell dictionaries are current and reflect these major language changes but cannot be easily invoked from Pegasus Mail. I will see if the TinySpell  company have any announcements on this.

Martin

•  10-24-2008, 0:08

Would it be possible to store them on a Pmail server?
  •  10-30-2008, 1:48

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • SuperStar
    • Points 22,950
    • BetaTeam Moderator

Are you talking about the ISpell dictionaries here?

Martin

•  10-30-2008, 14:35

Yes, with a click to download from inside the application.
  •  12-29-2008, 1:45

• vaivel is not online. Last active: 01-29-2009, 7:48 vaivel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-29-2008
    • Points 55

I may have a sollution to implement Hunspell, the spell checker of OpenOffice, if it still is of interest.
  •  12-29-2008, 19:15

Sounds interesting to me.

Not reinventing the wheel, getting closer to large modern applications...

•  01-29-2009, 7:04

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • SuperStar
    • Points 22,950
    • BetaTeam Moderator

Your comment made me investigate Hunspell some more. My basic opinion is that Hunspell is like MySpell, ASpell, ISpell, and JSpell. They are all single word checkers of varying complexity. But basically you call a DOS application or DLL to perform a check, and provide confirmation or alternative words.

I like Hunspell mostly because the engine and dictionaries are uses by Open Office, and thus are being kept current, more or less.

But here is the problem. Some application or extension has got to supply the words to be checked. Pegasus Mail uses a third party editor called TER, which uses Rich Text as its native construct.  This is combined with another third party product HTE, from the same vendor (Subsystems Inc)  which converts Rich Text, to and from Html. The product TER has a proprietary spell checker that for a license fee will support a few more popular (to them) languages. As far as I can see there is no way to hook into the TER support for Spell Checking.

So what appears to be left is the separate application concept supplied by TinySpell, which actually captures keystrokes. Going to the TinySpell site, the dictionaries have not been updated since 1997 (before the major language changes for Italian and German). It uses dictionaries offered by the TextPad company. They too are out of date, but appear to be quite close to the ISpell/HunSpell format.  So maybe, just maybe, the HunSpell/ISpell dictionaries could be converted to be used by TinySpell? 

Is there anyone interested in joining me in trying to investigate this conversion possibility?

Martin

•  01-29-2009, 7:48

• vaivel is not online. Last active: 01-29-2009, 7:48 vaivel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-29-2008
    • Points 55

I am writing a spell32.dll replacement, that interfaces with libhunspell.dll. I use TER my self in a project, but not happy with spell32s limitations, it is basically an english spell checker, granted you can exchange the vocabulary, but you do not applay any phonetical knowledge of the language, so when it make suggestions it doesnt take typical language specific misspellings into account So that is why I started investigating the open soucre alternatives, and Hunspell can all that and much more. It is still a single work approach, no context checking, but for most everyday use it is fine, and sure better than no checking at all.

I have already a proof-of-consept version running, but due to lack of time haven't come further. I lack one small thing and on slightly bigger.

1. word sepration, which characters can be part of a word and which can't?

2. handling of local voabulary (add to list). Where to place and how to store, and in my own case, how to share amongst an organisation, preferably saved in a database server.

•  01-29-2009, 21:46

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • SuperStar
    • Points 22,950
    • BetaTeam Moderator

In answer to your question on delimiters for a word, I suggest you consider any non-alpha character, ie numbers, punctuation characters, spaces and tabs. Just remeber that you will have to take care of Utf-8 8-bit characters and Unicode byte pairings

As for user additions, I would suggest a database system such as Sqlite, which can share data, and lock records etc when needed. But in general a user's private dictionary should be just that. I would create it somewhere in the My Documents directory tree.

Martin

•  02-11-2009, 1:04

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • SuperStar
    • Points 22,950
    • BetaTeam Moderator

I have checked with the author of TinySpell that uses the obsolete Textpad dictionaries. He is unable to supply file formats of these dictionary files as they belong/copyright to SpellThaurus Inc (That is out of business, and the company that bought them out is unwilling to share these formats too.).

The current Textpad dictionaries are a new format, and will not work with TinySpell

So in conclusion there seem to be two possible solutions.  1. reverse engineer these files. 2. Write an equivalent to TinySpell program, possibly using the Hunspell/Mozilla/ISpell current dictionaries

Martin

Page 2 of 3 (33 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page