Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Windows 10

Last post 12-06-2017, 19:01 by jpalmer. 46 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (47 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-05-2015, 1:07

• GeorgeS is not online. Last active: 10-18-2017, 22:34 GeorgeS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-15-2010
    • Points 300

Re: Windows 10

I assure you it is exactly as I described. The PC is not hibernating. I close it down and turn off the power. The problem only happened when I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 and probably not immediately but only after a later automatic update from microsoft.
  •  11-05-2015, 3:54

• irelam is not online. Last active: 12-14-2019, 23:26 irelam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • SuperStar
    • Points 21,990
    • BetaTeam Moderator

this may sound a little strange, but when you shutdown Pegasus Mail, are you clicking the "X" in the top right corner or are you using the menu system File /Exit The exit routines used are different, and I suspect that the "X" button is telling Windows to close the window, which then causes an exit from the applicastion.  Using the File/Exit menu item causes Pegasus Mail to go through its tasks, closing them down before gracefully exiting. Give it a try ?

Martin

•  11-05-2015, 16:55

I've been running Pegasus 4.7 under Win 10 for about 2 months?  Apparently I was one of the early targets for the Win 10 rollout.  From the beginning, Pegasus has operated fine, except for when I delete items from the Inbox.  Whether it's a single note, or a selection, it seems to hang for 30 seconds to a minute or longer. If I close and reopen Peg, then the deletes happen quite quickly for a while.  I do let my computer sleep rather than turning it off, and since Win 7 this hasn't seemed to cause any problems.  If things get whacky or of course after the Tuesday upgrades, then a reboot takes care of the issues.  I simply leave Peg mail open until and unless I shut down.

I suppose the answer to the delete issue is to cycle Pegasus whenever the slowdown gets to be too much.  I did NOT experience this with Win 7.  Anybody know what's behind this?

Filed under: , ,
  •  11-05-2015, 17:40

• idw is not online. Last active: Sat, Dec 14 2019, 10:08 idw
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,960
    • BetaTeam

Litewriter:
    I suppose the answer to the delete issue is to cycle Pegasus whenever the slowdown gets to be too much.  I did NOT experience this with Win 7.  Anybody know what's behind this?

Set Tools => Options => Advanced settings => Load Windows Internet Services ... to Always (and restart) if it's any different than that.

Michael

--
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
  •  11-05-2015, 20:33

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-15-2010
    • Points 300

irelam:

this may sound a little strange, but when you shutdown Pegasus Mail, are you clicking the "X" in the top right corner or are you using the menu system File /Exit The exit routines used are different, and I suspect that the "X" button is telling Windows to close the window, which then causes an exit from the applicastion.  Using the File/Exit menu item causes Pegasus Mail to go through its tasks, closing them down before gracefully exiting. Give it a try ?

Martin

Thanks Martin. This seems to have got over the start up problem. I will give it a day or two then report back.

George

•  11-06-2015, 12:42

idw:

Litewriter:

Set Tools => Options => Advanced settings => Load Windows Internet Services ... to Always (and restart) if it's any different than that.

Thanks Martin -- looks like it was already set that way though. 

•  11-06-2015, 17:04

I always use Alt + F4, the standard Windows short cut which closes all windows of a programme, and indeed will if there is nothing else to do start the computer shut down process. Compare Ctrl + F4 merely shuts a window of a programme, such as a document.
  •  11-09-2015, 21:52

The main thing to watch is the updates, often quite major that keep coming.  Pegasus was going well until a late October update slowed everything to a crawl, and the problem was solved by a system restore. to just before that update.
  •  11-21-2015, 11:24

• Rabbie is not online. Last active: 11-23-2015, 17:28 Rabbie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-14-2009
    • Points 105

Just updated to W110 and only 1 problem with Pegasus. HTML links in emails are not working. If you click on them then it just opens  file explorer rather than  the browser. The browser is set up as the default program for HTML files in Windows so how do I tell Pegasus to open these links in the Browser.

Edit:  I can open the links by right clicking and selecting the required browser  but before I updated to windows 10 it worked with a simple double click.

•  11-21-2015, 16:57

• irelam is not online. Last active: 12-14-2019, 23:26 irelam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • SuperStar
    • Points 21,990
    • BetaTeam Moderator

Check that you have the browser set up in Pegasus Mail menu, Tools/Options/Incoming Mail/Hyperlinks   Point to the browser you want to use (in my case Firefox) in the "Web browser command"  entry rather than using the "Find browser automatically".   I believe your problem is that Windows is trying to use Microsoft Edge to display the message (bad idea for now).

HTH

Martin

•  02-19-2016, 11:23

• Invictus is not online. Last active: 12-13-2019, 18:54 Invictus
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-18-2009
    • Points 335

petersumm:

Hi, Invictus

Did you ever find a solution?  We're having the same sort of issues with networked Pegasus and Windows 10 here.  It works fine on the Windows 7 machines.

Thanks,

Peter 

Hello Peter,

No I never got a solution.

I only have 2 clients running win 10 & as human beings we have got used to it.....but I really would like to get to the bottom of it.

•  02-27-2016, 13:04

We are running Pegasus on several Windows 10 machines, which connect to a QNAP NAS. Everything, (program and data files) lives on the Server.

See my post here:

http://community.pmail.com/forums/post/42237.aspx

We do not have any problems with crashes. Perhaps the issue you have is that some of the Pegasus files are locally stored when they shouldn't be?

A typical Windows 10 workstation in our network has no Pegasus files anywhere on the local hard disk, everything runs directly off the server.

What are you using to share the folders? Do you have a server or are they shared folders on Windows 10 machines?

Hoper this helps

•  03-01-2016, 11:45

• chriscw is not online. Last active: 03-28-2019, 16:11 chriscw
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-14-2007
    • Basingstoke, England
    • Contributor
    • Points 3,970

Re: Windows 10 Pegasus Internet settings.

To answer the question posed by the OP.  I have been using Pegasus with Windows 10 for about a year now, both at work using Davmail to access our company echange server in the US and at home accessing my ISP's mail delivery as well as one of my gmail accounts.   I have had no sim ilar issues, indeed no problem of any kind.

George is your problem resolved now?  
    Chris Clarke-Williams
    I T Manager
    Wicks and Wilson Ltd
    Filed under:
  •  03-03-2016, 3:18

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-15-2010
    • Points 300

The problem here still exists. If I remember to close Pegasus using 'exit' in the file menu before turning off my PC, pegasus will fire up ok when I re-start the PC but If I shut down the PC without doing that pegasus fires up as if it is the first time it has run.

George

•  03-04-2016, 3:16

• Brian Fluet is not online. Last active: 12-13-2019, 22:07 Brian Fluet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 27,605

When you fail to close Pegasus Mail before shutting down the PC or Pegasus Mail gets closed by any other method (eg: power outage) the normal shutdown routines are not performed so configuration files are not updated and a mailbox lock remains in place.  The subsequent startup should result in a warning that the mailbox is locked.  Is this what you are seeing?  If not, please describe what is happening.
Page 3 of 4 (47 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page