Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

PMail corrupted email from Verizon.

Last post 11-29-2019, 22:51 by David H. Lipman. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-29-2019, 14:17

PMail corrupted email from Verizon.

I received an email from Verizon which contained a GIF file image of a UPS Shipping Label.

On AOL's WebMail Server ( who now runs Verizon.Net email services )  the GIF is a quality image and I printed it.

However in P-Mail that wasn't the case.  If I view the GIF attachment within P-Mail I get "Read Aborted" error with the dialogue labeled "Gif2Bmp".

When I save the GIF and view it it is very low quality with black banding artifacts.

When I use AOL's View Message Source and extract RAW email and save to .EML format the EML file is 52KB and views properly in both T-Bird and Windows Live Mail.

When I am in the attachment section of P-Mail it shows the GIF to be 5.9KB.  When I extract the GIF from the AOL WebMail server or from the EML file I created from there, the GIF 29KB.

When I view the RAW format in P-Mail and Copy the RAW data and create an EML file, the EML file is only 22KB.

P-Mail is corrupting the email and truncating the GIF.

When I look at the RAW email in Notepad++ I see the section...

Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name=1Z5X18F29094633828.gif
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
    Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=1Z5X18F29094633828.gif

However in the two different EML files what comes after is portrayed quite differently which may account for the GIF corruption.

--
    Dave
  •  11-29-2019, 19:38

Re: PMail corrupted email from Verizon.

David H. Lipman:

P-Mail is corrupting the email and truncating the GIF.

I doubt it very much, but YMMV. And unfortunately, the information you provided is not sufficient to determine a cause of the problem nor propose a solution. Could you share the troublesome message? It would be nice to know which renderer (and its version) used too.

Best,
    Euler

euler f german
    sete lagoas, mg, brazil
    Pegasus Mail 4.73.639 - Windows 7 Ultimate
    BearHTML 4.9.9.6 IERenderer 2.6.2.12
    Operating mode: Standalone

InsPMDic — Pmail v5 Dictionary Handler Add-on (see blog)
  •  11-29-2019, 20:57

Unfortunately, I can't share the email itself, publicly, as it contains a UPS Shipping label and thus it contains PII.

However I loaded the two variants of the email and captured representative ScreenShots of the embedded Base64 structure.

Here is the view when it is extracted from P-Mail

Here it is when it was extracted from AOL WebMail

In case one presumes it is a one-off problem and that it isn't reproducible, well it is.   When email is POP'd out of the InBox on AOL, AOL moves it to the Trash Folder of the AOL WebMail server.  All is good there.  The GIF is OK and ~29KB

When I view it it in P-Mail the GIF is again corrupted and showing it's only ~5.9KB.

So I go back and move the email out of the AOL WebMail server Trash folder back into the AOL WebMail server InBox and POP it off the server using P-Mail.   Every time, same result.

So I go back and once again move the email out of the AOL WebMail server Trash folder back into the AOL WebMail server InBox and I then Disabled Verizon POP in P-Mail,  I then loaded MS Outlook and then chose  Send/Receive.  Sure enough,  I get a quality GIF and the MD5 CheckSum  is the same from MS Outlook POP'd off the server as the GIF extracted from the RAW format, used to create an EML file, from the message on the AOL WebMail server.  Only when P-Mail POP'd the email off the server does the GIF get corrupted and only within P-Mail.  Thus I come to the conclusion P-Mail is corrupting the email.

--
    Dave
  •  11-29-2019, 22:02

Hmm, what caught my attention was that the Base64 encoded attachment is spread over nine lines (Pmail) and on a single only (AOL). I'm not sure if the latter is RFC compliant, though we know Microsoft, AOL et al don't care much about RFC. AFAIK Pegasus Mail does and maybe it may have lead it to error. Not a conclusion, just a hunch.

I pinched this text snip from RFC2045:

(Soft Line Breaks) The Quoted-Printable encoding REQUIRES that encoded lines be no more than 76 characters long.  If longer lines are to be encoded with the Quoted-Printable encoding, "soft" line breaks must be used.  An equal sign as the last character on a encoded line indicates such a non-significant ("soft") line break in the encoded text.

All in all, it's still difficult to infer what caused the problem on Pegasus Mail. Maybe Martin Ireland or Michael in der Wiesche can shed lights on this.

Best,
    Euler

euler f german
    sete lagoas, mg, brazil
    Pegasus Mail 4.73.639 - Windows 7 Ultimate
    BearHTML 4.9.9.6 IERenderer 2.6.2.12
    Operating mode: Standalone

InsPMDic — Pmail v5 Dictionary Handler Add-on (see blog)
  •  11-29-2019, 22:20

• irelam is not online. Last active: 12-12-2019, 0:36 irelam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • SuperStar
    • Points 21,985
    • BetaTeam Moderator

From the conversion error GIF2BMP  you got in Pegasus Mail, I would suspect that you were using Pegasus Mail internal message displayer, in Text mode, not either Bearhtml or IERenderer Html renderers.  You should check the message headers for a Content-Type-Multipart line indicating that a Multipart message has been created, which would likely contain both a plain text message and a Rich-Text/Html version of the message body.

Before we look into this further you should try to click the View menu item to see if rendering in rich/html is better.  If that doesn't work, we will need to see an example message. Please send a copy to me at irelam17@telus.net.  Do not post it to this community site. We will not share it to anyone else.

Martin 

•  11-29-2019, 22:32

That caught my attention as well.

I used the Compare Plug-In in Notepad++ and loaded both EML file variants.

Of course, the first notable difference would be what P-Mail inserts into the header;  X-PMFLAGS [ X-PMFLAGS: 570966016 0 1 PA19AP5U.CNM   ]

That's obvious so I'll leave it out ( It'll also guarantee their checksum won't be the same as well ).  There were two other notables.

On the Left Pane, the RAW format from the AOL server.  On the Right Pane, the RAW format from P-Mail

--------------------------------------------------------------------

#1 - This one appears to be that P-Mail has removed the period "." delimiter within the URL

--
    Dave
  •  11-29-2019, 22:51

irelam:
    Please send a copy to me at irelam17@telus.net.  Do not post it to this community site. We will not share it to anyone else.

Email sent.  Obrigado.

--
    Dave
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page