Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Serious Thread/Memory leak - Win7-64 & PMail 4.52

•  08-30-2010, 23:27

• kingstairs is not online. Last active: 08 Sep 2010, 8:27 kingstairs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-30-2010
    • Palm Springs, CA
    • Points 60

Serious Thread/Memory leak - Win7-64 & PMail 4.52

Background: Pegasus Mail 4.52, dual-core AMD, Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit), POP3 account (SSL encrypted)

On startup, PMail uses about 6MB RAM, 85 handles and 2 threads (according to both Task Manager and Resource Monitor).

Every time PMail checks for mail (manually or by scheduled polling), the thread count goes up 3-4 during the check, but then only drops back 2-3 (ie a net increase of 1-2 thread handles). This is consistent, and results in a creeping increase in threads. Memory and handle usage also increase, even if no actual work (no new mail) is being done. I haven't verified whether sending mail also leaks.

By itself, this is not a problem, but at some point (usually when the thread count reaches 1,400+ and memory usage hits 100MB+), PMail stops responding properly: CPU usage jumps to ~50% but it doesn't seem to be doing anything (I suspect a scheduled new mail poll triggers it). I can close PMail via File|Exit, but that only closes the main window; the process is still sitting there and has to be forcefully killed.

The end result is that I have to restart Pegasus every few days.

I am not noticing any other anomalous behavior.

Michael

View Complete Thread

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page