Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Re: PMAIL Dictionaries

•  12-20-2016, 21:14

• Christopher Muñoz is not online. Last active: 2018/12/27, 7:22 Christopher Muñoz
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-20-2008
    • Garfield County, Washington state, U.S.
    • Points 720

Umbrella [um] Re: PMAIL Dictionaries

Antescript:  I had already drafted this reply before your and Martin's subsequent exchanges came in. 

Thank you, David, for your kind words of endorsement. 

Now Martin has weighed in -- as so often, thankfully -- to remind us of the Hunspell connection (which I now remember reading about at the time, but it became displaced from memory in favor of what I had for breakfast). 

Your presenting concern, though, about expunging junkola in the user dictionary, remains.  I'm still not aware of any practical way to remediate that. 

Of course I'm aware of the proprietary MS Office dictionary, editable as the user supplement is.  In my opinion the best in the business, though, is the one in WordPerfect, even more editable.  But no one much cares about WP anymore except for contrarians like me. 

" . .  rich, expressive[,] and flexible language, and yet very precise" -- ah, yes, from Old English to Early Middle, to Late Middle to Early Modern.  Quite a ride. 

A huge vocabulary, soaked up from here, there, and everywhere.  It's one of the exquisite happenstances of Shakespeare, that he lived and wrote at a time when the English language still was in so much warp between the Middle Ages and the modern era, so that anything could be put forward. 

And no Académie française, no Rat für deutsche Rechtschreibung.  A linguistic free-for-all. 

Had King Harold prevailed over William of Normandy on that October day in Sussex in 1066, the English language might well be something else.  Perhaps the language of this forum would be a later variant of Old Norse.  

But that's not what happened, and so here we are.  Even if most of one's audience wanders off when they hear someone use words such as "risible". 

- Christopher Muñoz

View Complete Thread

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page