Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Re: Autoreplies rejected by some email servers

•  03-14-2018, 14:57

• FJR is not online. Last active: 2019-04-08, 12:07 FJR
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-10-2007
    • Dortmund / Germany
    • Star
    • Points 7,450

Re: Autoreplies rejected by some email servers

We are using Mercury's SYNONYM.MER database functionality to "translate" our official (internet) user e-mail addresses into the local user names and vice versa.

* FJR too, but ...

When activating the autoresponse function in Pmail, Mercury is using "at@domain.com" as sender's address for autoresponse mails.

... as shown in posting above in my case Mercury replaces "from" with synonym.

Hmm ... maybe the difference is, that my Mercury runs with NDS-module for accessing eDirectory of Novell Netware and takes synonym directly from there instead of using synonym.mer?! Seems Mercury behaves different depending on infrastructure.

Anyway - the problem of Anaglypta remains the same in all cases: Mercury includes a mail-from but doesn't inculde an envelope-from and more and more servers reject mails, if it is not filled.

At the beginning I was annoyed about it, but in the meantime I believe this "feature" has also advantages.

No - if the recipient of the autoreply can't identify who is autoreplying (because username and synonym may not be similar enough), he may wonder, why he is getting no answer. Sorry - not acceptable.

bye    Olaf
View Complete Thread

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page