Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Admin rights to install!?

Last post 09-17-2008, 15:32 by obetz. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-17-2008, 11:33

• obetz is not online. Last active: 2019-02-19, 16:15 obetz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-10-2007
    • Points 445

Admin rights to install!?

Hi all,

what do you think about needing admin rights to install Pmail? IMO it shouldn't be necessary.

I would even prefer a simple archive (e.g. ZIP) over the installer.

Oliver

•  09-17-2008, 11:59

• SvenH is not online. Last active: 06-13-2018, 3:01 SvenH
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Participant
    • Points 2,190
    • BetaTeam International Moderator Moderator Translators

Re: Admin rights to install!?

AFAIK no admin rights are necessary.

A simple zip archive is not possible at all since the installer also creates directories and install Pegasus Mail as your standard mail program if needed, creates icons and program groups etc. It also checks if Pegasus Mail is running during the installation. Would be impossible with a zip archive only. 

Sven

--
    Sven Henze
    Team leader German Translation Team
  •  09-17-2008, 12:15

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-10-2007
    • Points 445

Regarding Admin rights: I can't run the installer as restricted user. Admin rights are required.

Regarding the ZIP File: Directories can be in the archive, setting Pmail as standard mailer is done by Pmail itself, icon and program group not requested by everyone and Pmail already checks for other instances running.

Since I didn't want to login as Admin for checking the beta, I just did it: Started my "Sandbox Windows" in a VM, executed the installer, copied the Pmail directory tree back to my working Windows. When we used Pmail in a network, we never "installed" it - just made a link to the executable on the network share.

Oliver

•  09-17-2008, 12:34

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Participant
    • Points 2,190

OK, I didn't know that Admin rights are required, thanks.

Regarding the zip file, it is not that easy. The installer performs several checks, f.ex. if particular files are newer than the ones to be installed they won't be copied. As I stated before it also creates users (if applicable) and sets the standard mailer as well as creates program groups and icons. It is simply too much work to maintain both a real installer and a zip file installer, not mentioned the possible support burden two installation methods could create, so I really doubt if David will ever provide a zip file only. 

Sven

--
    Sven Henze
  •  09-17-2008, 13:04

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-10-2007
    • Points 445

"if particular files are newer than the ones to be installed they won't be copied" doesn't seem to be true: Install 4.41 over 4.5x and everything will be overwritten. Unpacking a ZIP file would be even safer.

This also remembers me about a (minor) "misbehaviour" of the installer: It sets the mtime of the installed files to the current (installation) time.You get the "true" (likely NZ local) mtime by looking at the temp directory as long as the installer asks for the target directory. Well - the user doesn't really need this information.

Oliver

•  09-17-2008, 13:19

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Participant
    • Points 2,190

obetz:

"if particular files are newer than the ones to be installed they won't be copied" doesn't seem to be true: Install 4.41 over 4.5x and everything will be overwritten. Unpacking a ZIP file would be even safer.

No. Some files won't be overwritten, at least they shouldn't be overwritten (e.g. autorplc.pm, viewer.pm, wpm-lmtt.rsc and others).

Sven

--
    Sven Henze
  •  09-17-2008, 15:32

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-10-2007
    • Points 445

I stand corrected - there are indeed many files not being overwritten, but obviously not depending on their version ("newer").

This confirms me using my standard Pmail migration method: Install in a fresh directory, compare every file for changes, merge if necessary. Otherwise I might keep "old" versions where I would like to update, e.g. bearhtml.ini. And I can easily access the old version if I want.

Oliver

View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page