Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

New extension available for creating and sending crash dumps

Last post 03-21-2009, 14:22 by idw. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (33 items)   1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-04-2008, 12:49

• idw is not online. Last active: Sat, Dec 14 2019, 10:08 idw
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,960
    • BetaTeam

New extension available for creating and sending crash dumps

[Edit 06.08.2011: Version history moved to download section]

I've created a small extension which automatically jumps in when Pegasus Mail crashes and creates a report message with Pegasus Mail's system configuration and a compressed crash dump attached. You're prompted for adding or changing the email address (a tech support address is provided by default) and adding a short description about what happened before the crash occurred. In more recent versions it's also possible to create "snapshots" of certain situations where Pegasus Mail appears to hang/freeze or even track normal execution.

The installer allows you to select an arbitrary location for putting the extension's files and creates the form fact file in Pegasus Mail's main directory linking to it. It also allows you to set it up for multiple languages. For enabling easy access to all debug options you should allow the setup to create Start menu shortcuts which will also provide a shortcut to a ReadMe file providing more details about the way the extension works.

Note that (in case of real crashes or forced termination) you have to actually send (and optionally edit) the report after Pegasus Mail has been restarted. If you're using a user defined gateway (such as Mercury) Pegasus Mail cannot send this report without reopening it (AFAIK), I currently don't have the skills or knowledge for changing this.

The download links:

- Windows 2000/XP and later (1.27 MB)

- preceding Windows versions (739 KB)

BTW, if you wonder about the sources: First of all this extension would be able to retrieve arbitrary information about your system and your email-communication especially; secondly the crash dumps may contain some email contents as well. My goal is simply to enable anyone to check what the extension is doing; and I assure you that any of this information will only be made available to developers involved in writing Pegasus Mail and its add-ons (= members of the internal beta-testers list), mainly David Harris, Martin Ireland and myself. If you don't want any of this to happen don't use this extension, please!

Michael

--
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
    Filed under: , ,
  •  10-04-2008, 17:48

• davews is not online. Last active: 29 Nov 2016, 17:54 davews
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • Points 405

Re: New extension available for creating and sending crash dumps

OK, installed. Should I see MiniDump in my list of extensions (tools/extensions)? MiniDump.fff is in my programs folder along with the other .fff but doesn't show in the list.

Dave

•  10-04-2008, 18:07

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,960
    • BetaTeam

It's a hidden extension, so you won't see it on the extensions menu. If it wouldn't get loaded Pegasus Mail would show an error dialog as long as a valid fff-file is present.
    Michael

--
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
  •  10-06-2008, 8:25

Thanks Michael,

That extension is a great idea! I have installed the one for XP and tried (successfully) to re-produce those crashes described earlier (formatted e-newsletters). The first crash came and I received the dialogue as you described it. I entered a comma and your email address as well as another email address (should be possible?). I switched windows to look for the forum link to add as a comment and when I switched back the crashdump dialogue disappeared. After starting PM there was no email in the queue.

I could recreate the crashes but the following two time I did not even get a dialogue anymore but PM just crashed with a sound ;-) Any idea?

You mentioned that those crashdumps are saved the Windows Temp folder. I searched for something that looks like a crashdump but could not find anything. What do I have to search for?

Cheers

Thomas

•  10-06-2008, 9:19

tmstein:
    Thanks Michael,
    I could recreate the crashes but the following two time I did not even get a dialogue anymore but PM just crashed with a sound ;-) Any idea?

Michael,
    Hope this may help.
    In the meantime I could create additional crashes with a dialogue. I tried various options.

• Added your email address and comment and pressed "Send report"--> window disappeared and no crashdump was found in message que on restart.
    • Added / changed nothing but just pressed "Send report" --> Something happens but window hangs (not responding)
    • Added / changed nothing but just "Save dump file"--> no dialogue opened, PM just closed/disappeared
    • Deleted all the address and pressed "Save dump file"--> no dialogue opened, PM just closed/disappeared
    Thomas

•  10-06-2008, 15:33

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,960
    • BetaTeam

tmstein:
    Thanks Michael,

Thomas,

I had one of these crashes as well last night where the extension simply doesn't come to create a crash dump file at all before Pegasus Mail "disappears" (the files have the extension .dmp if you search your Temp folder). Currently I don't have an idea how to fix this ("debug a debugging extension") although I could even create a crash dump about the extension failing itself (in PM v3) yesterday. I may be able to check this out if I can duplicate your crashes as well, so can you please send me such a message and tell me how to cause PM to crash on it (unfortunately I can't duplicate the one I encountered last night)? I'll take a look at the code anyway, sometimes one can make some assumptions about what might be causing problems.

TIA

Michael

--
  •  10-07-2008, 9:31

idw:
    tmstein:
    Thanks Michael,

Thomas,

I had one of these crashes as well last night where the extension simply doesn't come to create a crash dump file at all before Pegasus Mail "disappears" (the files have the extension .dmp if you search your Temp folder). Currently I don't have an idea how to fix this ("debug a debugging extension") although I could even create a crash dump about the extension failing itself (in PM v3) yesterday. I may be able to check this out if I can duplicate your crashes as well, so can you please send me such a message and tell me how to cause PM to crash on it (unfortunately I can't duplicate the one I encountered last night)? I'll take a look at the code anyway, sometimes one can make some assumptions about what might be causing problems.

TIA

Michael,

I will sent those problem html emails as CNM files (zipped) to you. Maybe not each of them creates a crash but I know that some of them definitely did. As far as I can tell only emails from that particular newsletter provider created crashes.

The way I can create a crash: (I use the English version under XP Pro SP3 etc. just in case that makes a difference)
    Switch to "Preview mode". Click on one of those emails to view in preview window, move scroll bar a little bit down, click on other email. Click back again, maybe change folder. Click back again etc. Click on other of those problem emails etc.

The crash does not always come right away but clicking forth and back and scroll the window seem to increase the likelihood.

Sometime I switch the preview off, highlight the file and open it and it may crash as well. But even leaving preview mode on and opening one of those emails may create a crash.

I can reproduce crashes with those emails in the inbox as well as in another folder.

Please let me know what you have found.

Cheers

Thomas

•  10-07-2008, 13:23

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,960
    • BetaTeam

tmstein:

Michael,

I will sent those problem html emails as CNM files (zipped) to you. Maybe not each of them creates a crash but I know that some of them definitely did. As far as I can tell only emails from that particular newsletter provider created crashes.

<...>

Cheers

Thomas

Got your messages and recognized that I had got some of these before (probably via Martin Ireland). And it reminded me that I encountered crashes with intermittend beta-versions of BearHtml due to race conditions while scanning quickly through a list of them in preview mode, but unfortunately I currently cannot duplicate any with BearHtml 4.6.3 (which is included with thePegasus Mail's beta version so it should be the one you're using as well). Martin's website appears to be unreachable either so I can't download any previous versions for testing my extension .... :-( Maybe you can provide your BearHtml.ini settings as well (not necessarily via this forum, of course)?

Michael

--
  •  10-07-2008, 13:35

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,960
    • BetaTeam

idw:
    tmstein:

Michael,

<...>

Cheers

Thomas

<...>

Maybe you can provide your BearHtml.ini settings as well (not necessarily via this forum, of course)?

Now this is interesting: You can fix the crash by setting "UnloadWinInet=Yes" in BearHtml.ini - although it should be the other way round as far as I remember - now it's up to Martin Ireland to comment on this. But you're right: Pegasus Mail just beeps and disappears, I'll try to find a solution for getting crash dumps of it nevertheless.

Michael

--
  •  10-07-2008, 14:49

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,960
    • BetaTeam

tmstein:

Michael,

<...>

Cheers

Thomas

OK, found a way of writing a dump file even if Pegasus Mail simply "disappears". To make it available for sending I can only prompt for a dump file being found on Pegasus Mail's restart, though. BTW, that gives me the idea of saving the crash reports as auto saved message so Pegasus Mail will automatically alert you on restart, watch this space ...

Michael

--
  •  10-07-2008, 17:08

Now this is interesting: You can fix the crash by setting "UnloadWinInet=Yes" in BearHtml.ini - although it should be the other way round as far as I remember - now it's up to Martin Ireland to comment on this. But you're right: Pegasus Mail just beeps and disappears, I'll try to find a solution for getting crash dumps of it nevertheless.

You got these messages from me on the beta testers list, they were sent to the tech support address.   I can not get a debug message to show and since WinPMail just goes away with this error I suspect that it's one of the BearHTML programs that is crashing and the OS is taking down WinPMail.  The "UnloadWinInet=Yes" does nothing for me.

Thomas R. Stephenson
    San Jose, California
    Member of Pegasus Mail Support Team

I do not answer private messages from the forum. If you want to contact me use email to techsupp@tstephenson.com.
  •  10-07-2008, 17:33

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,960
    • BetaTeam

Thomas R. Stephenson:

You got these messages from me on the beta testers list, they were sent to the tech support address.   I can not get a debug message to show and since WinPMail just goes away with this error I suspect that it's one of the BearHTML programs that is crashing and the OS is taking down WinPMail.  The "UnloadWinInet=Yes" does nothing for me.

You did restart Pegasus Mail after changing BearHtml.ini, didn't you? It effectively prevents Pegasus Mail from crashing here.

I'm not sure it's actually BearHtml crashing here, here's the relevant (abbreviated) call stack portion containing some error messages and pointing to Pegasus Mail's main module:

iconv!libiconv_close+0xa
    winpm_32!iconv_string(char * dest = 0x007c3280 "--- memory read error at address 0x007c3280 ---", 
    winpm_32!build_display_address(char * dest = 0x007c3280 "--- memory read error at address 0x007c3280 ---",
    winpm_32!update_ribbon_status(struct HWND__ * hWnd = 0x004109c2, struct IMESSAGE * im = 0x01136b70,
    winpm_32!set_folman_preview(struct HWND__ * hWnd = 0x004109c2, struct IMESSAGE * im = 0x01136b70

Michael

--
  •  10-07-2008, 18:41

You did restart Pegasus Mail after changing BearHtml.ini, didn't you? It effectively prevents Pegasus Mail from crashing here.

Sure did since it crashed the first time through the 5 messages in the folder.  After restarting it crashed again.  ;-)

I'm not sure it's actually BearHtml crashing here, here's the relevant (abbreviated) call stack portion containing some error messages and pointing to Pegasus Mail's main module:

iconv!libiconv_close+0xa
    winpm_32!iconv_string(char * dest = 0x007c3280 "--- memory read error at address 0x007c3280 ---", 
    winpm_32!build_display_address(char * dest = 0x007c3280 "--- memory read error at address 0x007c3280 ---",
    winpm_32!update_ribbon_status(struct HWND__ * hWnd = 0x004109c2, struct IMESSAGE * im = 0x01136b70,
    winpm_32!set_folman_preview(struct HWND__ * hWnd = 0x004109c2, struct IMESSAGE * im = 0x01136b70

Did you get this via WinDbg? This is what I get in the Calls after going through it numerous times.  This was all in the preview mode.

ntdll!RtlAllocateHeap+0x1da
    msvcrt!_heap_alloc+0xe0
    msvcrt!_nh_malloc+0x13
    msvcrt!malloc+0x27
    WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
    ICONV!libiconv_open+0x1d0
    winpm_32!iconv_open(char * tocode = 0x0012c198 "UCS-2-INTERNAL//IGNORE//TRANSLIT", char * fromcode = 0x007ae930 "char")+0x58 [s:\winpmail.vc\pegasus mail\iconv_if.c @ 73]
    winpm_32!iconv_string(char * dest = 0x0012d660 "", int dlen = 2048, char * src = 0x01424ba4 "Enviro Jobs - 15th September 2008", char * toset = 0x007af128 "UCS-2-INTERNAL", char * fromset = 0x007ae930 "char")+0x73 [s:\winpmail.vc\pegasus mail\iconv_if.c @ 105]
    winpm_32!ic_render_header_u(struct IMESSAGE * im = 0x01424b60, unsigned short * dest = 0x0012d660, int dlen = 2048, int select = 1)+0xb5 [s:\winpmail.vc\pegasus mail\icharset.c @ 372]
    winpm_32!draw_im(struct _l_node * node = 0x01408fa0, struct HDC__ * hdc = 0xb0011988, struct tagRECT * rect = 0x0012e850, int select = 3, long param = 1378808)+0x14c5 [s:\winpmail.vc\pegasus mail\imbrowse.c @ 486]
    winpm_32!draw_one_cell(struct LDU * ldu = 0x013f6848, struct _l_node * cur = 0x01408fa0, struct HDC__ * hdc = 0xb0011988, struct tagRECT * r = 0x0012e850, int select = 3)+0xfd [s:\winpmail.vc\pegasus mail\listdu.c @ 330]
    winpm_32!draw_cell(struct HWND__ * hWnd = 0x002a0a32, int cell = 1, struct tagRECT * r = 0x0012e850, int mark = 0)+0x104 [s:\winpmail.vc\pegasus mail\listdu.c @ 534]
    winpm_32!listselect_proc(struct HWND__ * hWnd = 0x002a0a32, unsigned int wMsg = 8, unsigned int wParam = 0x1509f8, long lParam = 0)+0x34fb [s:\winpmail.vc\pegasus mail\listdu.c @ 2155]
    USER32!InternalCallWinProc+0x28
    USER32!UserCallWinProcCheckWow+0x150
    USER32!DispatchClientMessage+0xa3
    USER32!__fnDWORD+0x24
    ntdll!KiUserCallbackDispatcher+0x13
    USER32!NtUserSetFocus+0xc
    winpm_32!is_folman_preview_message(struct HWND__ * hWnd = 0x00540aa2, unsigned int wMsg = 0x271f, unsigned int wParam = 0x12d, long lParam = 0, unsigned long * result = 0x0012f388)+0x80d [s:\winpmail.vc\pegasus mail\fpreview.c @ 2361]
    winpm_32!folman_proc(struct HWND__ * hWnd = 0x00540aa2, unsigned int wMsg = 0x271f, unsigned int wParam = 0x12d, long lParam = 0)+0x9e [s:\winpmail.vc\pegasus mail\folman.c @ 3841]

Thomas R. Stephenson
    San Jose, California
    Member of Pegasus Mail Support Team

I do not answer private messages from the forum. If you want to contact me use email to techsupp@tstephenson.com.
  •  10-07-2008, 19:18

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,960
    • BetaTeam

Thomas R. Stephenson:

This is what I get in the Calls after going through it numerous times.  This was all in the preview mode.

ICONV!libiconv_open+0x1d0
    winpm_32!iconv_open(char * tocode = 0x0012c198 "UCS-2-INTERNAL//IGNORE//TRANSLIT", char * fromcode = 0x007ae930 "char")
    winpm_32!iconv_string(char * dest = 0x0012d660 "", int dlen = 2048, char * src = 0x01424ba4 "Enviro Jobs - 15th September 2008", char * toset = 0x007af128 "UCS-2-INTERNAL", char * fromset = 0x007ae930 "char")
    winpm_32!ic_render_header_u(struct IMESSAGE * im = 0x01424b60, unsigned short * dest = 0x0012d660, int dlen = 2048, int select = 1)

Looks different from mine: I got mine using my extension after enabling it to catch these "silent crashes" which requires some more workarounds because I can't use dialogs in such cases, they simply don't show up. I'll update the download site quite soon.

Michael

--
  •  10-13-2008, 7:30

Michael,

I use PM professionally predominantly for my business. This of course leads to the question what information would be gathered during a crash dump with my business related email nicely accumulated on one spot ... While I definitely trust you folks Wink I still need to check on what type of information such a crash dump would actually generate and whether content related stuff, login information, etc. would be included - which I assume.

Cheers

Thomas

Page 1 of 3 (33 items)   1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page