Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Home page of the community site

Last post 03-28-2009, 9:48 by Peter Strömblad. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-23-2009, 19:46

• Sharkfin is not online. Last active: 10 Jan 2015, 19:14 Sharkfin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-02-2008
    • United Kingdom
    • Contributor
    • Points 4,555

Home page of the community site

Just thought I'd register the fact that I really think the community's home page is a mess at present.

I'm aware that there was a server/software tweak recently and perhaps the situation is temporary, in which case I'll shut up.  :)

Rest of the site is A-OK, if you ask me!

•  03-24-2009, 3:10

• Rolf Lindby is not online. Last active: 2020-04-03, 20:06 Rolf Lindby
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • SuperStar
    • Points 26,510
    • BetaTeam Moderator SystemAdministrator

Re: Home page of the community site

Which browser and version are you using? It could be that the page renders differently depending on browser.

/Rolf 

•  03-24-2009, 11:45

It looks better in IE. Are you suggesting that people should change browser in order to adapt to the Homepage of Pmail/Mercury ?

•  03-24-2009, 22:59

• Rolf Lindby is not online. Last active: 2020-04-03, 20:06 Rolf Lindby
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • SuperStar
    • Points 26,510
    • BetaTeam Moderator SystemAdministrator

No, I asked what browser it was to find out what the problem is.

/Rolf

•  03-25-2009, 0:09

Sv: Home page of the community site

Sharkfin:
    Just thought I'd register the fact that I really think the community's home page is a mess at present.

I'm aware that there was a server/software tweak recently and perhaps the situation is temporary, in which case I'll shut up.  :)

Rest of the site is A-OK, if you ask me!

I guess you mean first page equals home page, as a mess. It is a bit temporary, true - I haven't had the time to complete the graphical changes, nor the time to tweak the css so that the look and feel is the same across different sets of browsers. I started a web-log analyzer, but it crashed after 4½ days work when it had done roughly 50million log lines. I fealt I had to analyze what browsers and versions that are most used across the world, before I put too much time in alterations.

There are a couple of reasons to change the site:

1. It costs money to run a site like this - currently I sponsor this out of my own pocket. If the site could yield some income, the site has a better chance of continued growth, and even marketing on other sites. We do attract a lot of traffic world wide, with very high quality questions and answers - without infuriating ads all over the site.
    2. The previous front page, nor the current forum page layout push donations or licensing as it should. Thus the site fails currently in supporting the author David Harris, and other authors with add-ons like Lukas Gebauer.
    3. As the community is about two products, it is a feeling from my side, that the site should better promote the two products, as well as related info about them and the area of e-mailing involved.
    4. Reason 3 above is among one of the reasons we fired up the wiki, to concentrate the knowledge and resources about e-mailing in general and the two programs in particular.
    5. Regarding reason 3 and 4, I have here in Sweden applied for donations to improve the info at the wiki regarding e-mail technology for all. If that application is succesful, I can devote professional time and not only spare time to the sites for a while, in the benefit of all.

I listen, and hear your criticism, and you are correct as I haven't had time to tidy the page up - but as Rolf asked, what is your browser, what in particular is it that you do think is messy - and in regard to my points above, what are your suggestions and can you maybe help us improve the "mess" as you call it? - and please, at the very bottom of the page, you have a chance to use the form "questions/problems with ..." if you want a more direct contact with me.

Kind regards / Peter
  •  03-25-2009, 21:55

• Sharkfin is not online. Last active: 10 Jan 2015, 19:14 Sharkfin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-02-2008
    • United Kingdom
    • Contributor
    • Points 4,555

Re: Sv: Home page of the community site

Before posting I tried viewing it in other browsers and nothing changed. I use Opera (yay!) primarily.

Peter, I totally appreciate everything you said. I guess I just wanted confirmation that you were aware that the homepage is a bit skew-iff (wrong, out-of-alignment) at the moment. Using the word "mess" was a bit over the top and I apologise.

What I'm seeing is that the four "main" boxes - Welcome, Latest News, Pegasus and Mercury - are not aligned with each other in any way and the two lower ones (Pegasus and Mercury) are too wide to sit beside each other on my old-fashioned 1024x768 CRT so they "stack" as the line wraps. I know it's not major and easily fixed so please don't feel like I was getting at you.   :)

I've never seen that link for problems at the bottom of the page before. Too busy watching the forums, I suppose! Of course I would have used that had I seen it. Damned users, huh? We suck.

Peter, you do a fine job and perhaps don't get the public acknowledgement you deserve for providing this excellent resource. Slap on the back and a free beer for you (and maybe a donation when my cashflow starts up again!).

•  03-26-2009, 0:04

Re: Sv: Home page of the community site

I believe the two inferior blocks can be abandoned.

A welcome box on top and a News box below could be clearer. Then the words Pegasus and Mercury could be visually highlighted, so that the visitor in haste can click immediately.

•  03-26-2009, 10:32

Sv: Re: Sv: Home page of the community site

Sharkfin:
    What I'm seeing is that the four "main" boxes - Welcome, Latest News, Pegasus and Mercury - are not aligned with each other in any way and the two lower ones (Pegasus and Mercury) are too wide to sit beside each other on my old-fashioned 1024x768 CRT so they "stack" as the line wraps.

Yes this I'm aware of. When I did the change, I haven't got better images of each program just yet, but they are currently too large - why you get the stacking problem. A minimum is for the site to behave well on 1024 width - I'll look into that. Currently I'm chasing global advertisers, and if you feel you'd like to help - please contact me directly. I've contacted IKEA, and they have said "no not at the moment."

Kind regards / Peter
  •  03-27-2009, 22:30

Re: Sv: Re: Sv: Home page of the community site

You don't want to move to a simple PHP/SQL hosting, and use one of the major free portals?

It would save you a lot of work, and could perhaps be cheaper too.

•  03-28-2009, 9:48

Sv: Re: Sv: Re: Sv: Home page of the community site

No
    Kind regards / Peter
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page