Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Wish list for the s/mime extension

Last post 09-19-2009, 13:36 by idw. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-26-2009, 9:00

• Klaus is not online. Last active: 07-13-2009, 18:22 Klaus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • Germany
    • Points 130

Wish list for the s/mime extension

Hello Michael,

if you use multiple identities in Pmail and have different certificates for every identity, you are unable to use the "always use the default certificate" function. So the selection popup will come up on every send mail and you have to select the correct certificate. Would it be possible to make the s/mime extension multiidentity aware too?

TIA

Klaus

•  05-26-2009, 18:55

• idw is not online. Last active: Thu, Oct 17 2019, 21:57 idw
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,330
    • BetaTeam

Re: Wish list for the s/mime extension

Klaus:

Hello Michael,

if you use multiple identities in Pmail and have different certificates for every identity, you are unable to use the "always use the default certificate" function. So the selection popup will come up on every send mail and you have to select the correct certificate. Would it be possible to make the s/mime extension multiidentity aware too?

TIA

Klaus

IIRC I have implemented certficate selection in such a way that it automatically selects the one with a matching email address - unless there isn't only a single unique one matching so it requires you to select one in any case. IOW: Could you please elaborate how you imagine a solution to work? Another list where ID addresses are paired with certificates like the AutoList (which only serves for selecting recipient certificates)?

Michael

--
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
  •  05-27-2009, 9:36

• Klaus is not online. Last active: 07-13-2009, 18:22 Klaus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • Germany
    • Points 130

AW: Re: Wish list for the s/mime extension

Hello Michael,

I know that you tried to implement a autoselection, but for me it doesn't work. I have 4 Certificates for my 4 email adresses. All are issued to Klaus Arpe, but for example one is for address klaus.arpe(at)etech.haw-hamburg.de, one for klaus(at)arpe.name. If I send with the default profile klaus.arpe(at)etech.haw-hamburg.de, the certificate selection window comes up, wit the certificate of klaus(at)arpe.name  highlighted.

As solution I would think either to use the different sections Pmail uses for the different IDs and have separate configurations for the identities or a Autolist as for recipients. I think this depends on which solution is easier to implement.

TIA

Klaus

•  05-31-2009, 19:48

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,330
    • BetaTeam

Re: AW: Re: Wish list for the s/mime extension

Klaus:

As solution I would think either to use the different sections Pmail uses for the different IDs and have separate configurations for the identities or a Autolist as for recipients. I think this depends on which solution is easier to implement.

Actually, none is easy, but the latter I can fully control while the former is impossible as Pegasus Mail doesn't even povide access to the currently selected ID at the time I need it for auto-selection, not to speak of providing capabilities for custom settings by extensions (without hacking it, that is).

But I got another idea: Auto-selection not only requires a matching certificate but also one suitable for signing and encryption: I can change the latter if encrypt to self is disabled, but otherwise this might be a reason for the failure you encounter.

Michael

--
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
  •  09-19-2009, 13:36

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,330
    • BetaTeam

Re: AW: Re: Wish list for the s/mime extension

Klaus:

I don't remember whether I already provided a test version for you, but it's always a good idea to check out the latest version, so please tell us how it works for you now.

Michael

--
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page