Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

MiniDump extension updated

Last post 02-22-2011, 7:28 by idw. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-15-2010, 21:00

• idw is not online. Last active: Sat, Dec 14 2019, 10:08 idw
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,960
    • BetaTeam

MiniDump extension updated

FYI: I've added support for 64bit versions of Windows, an auto-restart mechanism for Vista/Server2008 and later and a speculative mechanism for preventing data loss via open files on crash; the version for NT/9X systems isn't maintained anymore but still available for download; please note that the latter fails to uninstall, if you need help in doing so please let me know. If you're using the most recent version it should be enough to just use the De(Activate) entry of the extension's startmenu entry for keeping it from being loaded by Pegasus Mail.

Please download the latest version from the download section, for more details see the development history.

Michael

--
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
  •  02-22-2011, 1:07

• edg is not online. Last active: 01-05-2012, 21:00 edg
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2008
    • Points 490

Re: MiniDump extension updated

I just tried to install this (for the first time) and am getting and error during the installation:

Error opening registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Pegasus Mail\Basedir - setup aborted

I am running this on Windows Xp (sp3+).

It seems odd to me... It requires me to run as "administrator" even though my current user has admin privileges, so I do a "Run as" administrator... but Under Xp the Administrator "current user" doesnt have the correct registry key set up because I never use it for Pegasus.

Any suggestions?

I have pegasus mail stores residing on (a Win2003 sbs ) server shares (for a bunch of users -- each with their own directory). I just want to install this for my local machine since I am getting some intermittent crashes with 4.52.

•  02-22-2011, 1:23

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2008
    • Points 490

Update....

It turns out that if I did a "Run As" my current user (which already has admin privileges) then the setup was able to proceed. 

Next it tells me that "Pegasus mail is currently running. Please close all instances...".

As mentioned, we run the winpm-32.exe program from a network share, and multiple users have their mailboxes stored on a share in individual folders (controlled via a pmail.usr file and file permissions and run time switches). Is the installer enumerating all the mail folder directories to detect running instances as I know I am not running a local copy when this message occurs?

Do all users need to be exited when I install this (even if I only want to set it up on my local computer for my mail folders)?

•  02-22-2011, 3:02

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2008
    • Points 490

continuing the conversation with myself...

I waited until the end of the work day when everyone was logged off, and the installer did proceed once all instances were exited.

•  02-22-2011, 7:28

• idw is not online. Last active: Sat, Dec 14 2019, 10:08 idw
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,960
    • BetaTeam

edg:
    It turns out that if I did a "Run As" my current user (which already has admin privileges) then the setup was able to proceed.

Next it tells me that "Pegasus mail is currently running. Please close all instances...".

As mentioned, we run the winpm-32.exe program from a network share, and multiple users have their mailboxes stored on a share in individual folders (controlled via a pmail.usr file and file permissions and run time switches). Is the installer enumerating all the mail folder directories to detect running instances as I know I am not running a local copy when this message occurs?

Do all users need to be exited when I install this (even if I only want to set it up on my local computer for my mail folders)?

Using RunAs isn't usually the way to go as the installer needs both admin privileges (as most installers do) and access to the current user's settings (like the HKCU branch of the Registry), it should automatically ask for elevation during the install (that's at least how it works on my Windows 7 system even if running as admin). And yes, it needs all instances of Pegasus Mail being closed - not necessarily on its first installation but on any successive ones as its library might be locked otherwise - it does a test whether WINPM-32.EXE can be opened for write access. And the last question has been answered by yourself since ...

Michael

--
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page