Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Release 4.61

Last post 06-18-2012, 19:29 by mrgoe. 47 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (48 items)   1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-23-2011, 23:35

Release 4.61

Well done  to all those that did the testing.....works well on Win7 32bit and 64bit  will try on visa etc tomorrow in work    btw.....looks good .to.....Smile
  •  02-24-2011, 7:47

Re: Release 4.61

Installed right now.

First thing I've noticed is the interface. I don't want to sound rude, please take my consideration just as a critique nothing else, but I don't think the new interface looks 'more modern or very attractive'.

I know a lot of efforts and work have been surely put into this release even for the interface, kudos for that.

Besides that, the interface looks very old, it reminds me office XP actually. Colored bigger icons don't make an interface better.

The worst surprise was the gradient, maybe there's an option to turn it off...

Unfortunately a gui is not a matter of new icons. A good user interface is made by a strong relation between clean design and great usability.

Btw, nice to see the new html rendered integrated by default.

Filed under:
  •  02-24-2011, 9:34

• Steffan is not online. Last active: 05-23-2018, 8:25 Steffan
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-31-2008
    • Utrecht, the Netherlands
    • Contributor
    • Points 6,405

I think this is just a matter of personal taste. I like the new interface a whole lot better. Apart from the GUI, I'm really, really chuffed with the added Ctrl+E functionality, the ability to add accents that is. Great work and thanks a bunch to David and his team!

Cheers!

Steffan
  •  02-24-2011, 11:11

OK well as I described yesterday the 4.61 worked well when installed last night on 32 and 64 bit win 7

This was as stanadlone machines  where files were on the local drive.

Today I upgraded a small office network.Here the files, both programme and mail folders are on a file server.

All 32 bit systems work as expected.

However our 64bit machines ( We have 3 ) both win 7 (2) and visa (1) have an identical  problem.

After upgrade on the file server each local machine ran the wssetup file to set the parametes

However when you try to start the progamme over the network, ( put in your username and wait etc.) it gets to a point where it is above to load ( we have pubic folders so this take a min or two). the programe then crashes with the single windows error message .

( Pegasus mail for windows has stopped working....A problem caused the progamme to stop working correctly....windows will close the programme ....and notify you if a solution is available )

Next on the same 64bit win7 machines I installed a separate new  local copy of Pegasus,  this worked fine

Next from the new local copy I was going to try to reconfigure the setting so it could assess the network files but of course you cant do this because the pconig and mbxmain won't run on a 64 bit machine so that option is out

so I guess I am asking any ideas on how to get Pegasus 4.61 to work over a network on 64bit 

Note 4.52 was working fine with our system

The setup is

Remote drive\Pmail\Programme( for the programme files )

Remote drive\Pmail\Mail  ( for all our mailboxes and public folders )

Ideas would be most welcome

•  02-24-2011, 11:31

• davews is not online. Last active: 29 Nov 2016, 17:54 davews
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • Points 405

I also hate the new big icons, this is definitely a backward step.

•  02-24-2011, 11:55

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-31-2008
    • Contributor
    • Points 6,405

And that is all you have to say about the new release...
    Steffan
  •  02-24-2011, 21:09

Steffan:

I think this is just a matter of personal taste. I like the new interface a whole lot better. [...]

No, is not. If it would be a matter of personal taste anyone could be a designer whereas there are principles that makes design good or bad.

Then comes the personal taste, but that's another thing. 

•  02-24-2011, 22:25

No, is not. If it would be a matter of personal taste anyone could be a designer whereas there are principles that makes design good or bad.

Maybe then you should in fact say exactly what you mean about good design.  I've see a number of applications where the designers (and reviewers) said had a good design where the users said there was so much look pretty crud that they were impossible to use.

Thomas R. Stephenson
    San Jose, California
    Member of Pegasus Mail Support Team

I do not answer private messages from the forum. If you want to contact me use email to techsupp@tstephenson.com.
  •  02-24-2011, 22:58

• anbecker is not online. Last active: 05-26-2015, 18:23 anbecker
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-11-2007
    • Germany
    • Points 795

Great! Thanks to development and testing team for the new release, in particular the fresh new look! 

- And I am also grateful for a new lesson in social behavior, reading the posts of people complaining about everything, even it is for free!

•  02-25-2011, 9:02

Thomas R. Stephenson:

Maybe then you should in fact say exactly what you mean about good design.  I've see a number of applications where the designers (and reviewers) said had a good design where the users said there was so much look pretty crud that they were impossible to use.

I see your point Thomas and I'll try to explain my statement as shortly as possible to don't bother anyone.

Firstly when I use words as good design and bad design I'm not talking about what I do like or dislike, that's something related to my taste, my preferences. I.e., saying that I like blue, or I like 3D graphics doesn't mean anything but what my preferences are. If I state that the stove in my kitchen suffer of a bad design, I'm not saying that I like it or not, I'm saying that the design of the controls to turn on the flame is not clear and even after years sometimes I still press the wrong button to turn on the wanted stove. Same thing with the doors: a lot of times we see 'pull' and 'push' on the doors as the design of the handles is not clear at all. A good design would make easy to understand whether we've to pull or push. A very good design would make this clear as well as the handle a nice piece of design. These two examples are not mine actually, I deliberately took them from a great book by Donald Norman The Design of Everyday Things.

I'm probably messing up the things here as I'm talking about stoves, doors and nice piece of design.

Well, stoves and doors are the 'content', in our case how the main core of Pegasus is designed. For example, since Pegasus is a powerful email client, if not the most powerful (I've really tried probably 99% of all free email clients around), of course it comes with a lot of options. How to find the options, remember where that particular option was last time I found it, it's kinda difficult. I guess for most of you it's different, but I'm speaking as an average user here. Remember the example of the stove, I've to be able to access the controls easily and not to discover every time where that particular control was and what it was meant to.

The nice piece of design is the 'container'. I can understand how this part become difficult to talk about. But even this area of the design has rules, and only after having understood those rules I can finally add "... and I like it!" because, if I'd just say that I like it or not, I would be unfair in respect to all the artists who spent their life refining and looking for better solutions. So, coming to our contest, a gradient in the toolbar is simply usefulness, and being the background of the buttons as long as the background for the main toolbar, the only that it actually does is add distraction to that area. Speaking of the icons, understand what the main icons mean is not easy, except perhaps for the font icon and the filter icon (ok and the phone icon, even if I don't know when I should compose a telephone message). In the same toolbar appears a drop down menu that reads "default". I have no idea what that means, neither why it's been place in that particular spot.

The second toolbar is more clear, at least the text helps. I can see another filter icon, exactly the same as the other one in the first toolbar, but they do different things.

Lastly there's a purely aesthetic matter related to the icons and why they don't look good. Today's interface are moving towards a completely different direction, accordingly to the usability principles. They are clean, essential, easy to understand yet appealing.

I think I've not been short, I'm sorry for that. It's a wide subject actually and I do care a lot about it and followed this matter for many years now.

Hope this may explain better what I meant.

Today luckily there are a lot of resources around, when I started in this field was much different.

Just to suggest a few I've quickly found  googling about it:

http://www.usabilityprofessionals.org/upa_publications/upa_voice/volumes/4/issue_3/common_principles.htm

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/01/31/10-principles-of-effective-web-design/

http://www.usabilitybok.org/design/p287

Two actual examples of quite good design in other email clients:

http://www.postbox-inc.com/index.php

http://lifehacker.com/#!5479009/inbox2-desktop-combines-and-task+ifies-your-email-and-social-networks

@ anbecker: what do you mean about social behavior and people who complain about free software? please, could you elaborate this a bit more?

•  02-25-2011, 11:37

First - apologies for the underlining.  I am using Opera 10.53 - maybe that is partly the problem. but I cannot turn the underlining off, and to get anything to appear here at all I had to insert a smiley to begin with - since deleted.  Could someone please look into this ?

I am much appreciative of the HTML rendering so that I no longer have to look at the raw view to read a whole message.

But, I regret that I do no like the new icons.  They are wishy-washy and indistinct, especially the message send and retrieval ones.  Anybody with poorer eyesight will have difficulty distinguishing one from another.  I can use them because I am used to the positioning of the icons, but a new user will find them difficult.   It is perhaps an extension of the increasingly widespread tendancy to use dark grey font on a light grey background, or similar non-contrasting colours.  Crisp edges and contrasting colours could look good and would be much more useable.

By the way anbecker, its only free to those who do not make a donation.

•  02-25-2011, 12:25

• davews is not online. Last active: 29 Nov 2016, 17:54 davews
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • Points 405

I use Opera 11.01 and have no problems replying, apart from sometimes the cursor not showing in the reply box until I start typing. But as you can see, no underlines..

Sorry I was perhaps a bit short with my earlier reply on icons. I am slowing adapting to the new ones, but I agree with other comments that their meaning is not that apparent from their look and I am having to hover and wait for the tooltip to appear before knowing I am on the right button. They really are a bit too big, and if you turn on the text as well the toolbar is very wide. Obviously personal preferences and I expect after a few days I will have got used to them, but in these days of high resolution displays they don't need to take up that much screen area. An option for Large or Small Icons like many other programs offer would meet most preferences.

Other than that, the new version works just fine.

•  02-25-2011, 12:59

• bogus is not online. Last active: 08-22-2019, 11:30 bogus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-21-2007
    • Points 580

its great that pmail is still under development!! i just remember, that not very long time ago we all were afraid that the further development will come to an end due to financial restrictions. again: great it goes on!! and yes, it will still not be the solution and design of everyone, but it works well and it does a pretty good job. thanks a lot for that!! question: is it still possible to adjust the button panel? the telefon and donation button are useless for me (and, i do donate, and i hope many others too :)

•  02-25-2011, 13:23

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-31-2008
    • Contributor
    • Points 6,405

davews:

An option for Large or Small Icons like many other programs offer would meet most preferences.

Yes, I agree with you there. And I would also applaud it if the interface were made skinnable. Not that I'm a 'skinner' myself, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd be happy to indulge their creativity. Besides, wouldn't it be a load off the developers' backs?

Cheers!

Steffan
  •  02-25-2011, 15:30

Smile  No underlines this time - very strange, but still needed the smiley.

I am inclined to agree with the long message about good design (off window - can't see name).  It seems as if the new icons are being viewed through a fog.

Perhaps David could make everyone happy by offering the option of using either the old interface or the new one - you could even call them 'Classic' skin and 'MS Lookalike' skin.

I assume the icons are kept in a separate library of some kind so that it is very easy to make such a choice.

I've yet to explore fully.  I'm sure other positive things will come to light, so thanks for all the effort.

Page 1 of 4 (48 items)   1 2 3 4 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page