Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

failure because of "error creating font" - can I use a command line to specify the folder to open.

Last post 06-04-2011, 3:59 by Richard Bacon. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-03-2011, 0:22

failure because of "error creating font" - can I use a command line to specify the folder to open.

Hi. The first message in my new mail folder gives an error "error creating font - cannotopenfont(b)" and then Pegasus crashes. This means I cannot get to any of my mail folders and I cannot delete the message. I have tried changing settings to 75% and 125% but still get the failure. I have tried a variety of printer drivers and still get the failure. Is there a command line way of opening pegasus so that it does not immediately open the new mail folder? If so, I can get to the program, download some new messages and hopefully delete the problem message.

Or is there a command line way of telling pegasus to download new messages from my POP host?

Thanks for any help!

Richard Bacon

Filed under: ,
  •  06-03-2011, 11:20

• Greenman is not online. Last active: 17 Aug 2018, 9:46 Greenman
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • UK
    • SuperStar
    • Points 13,270

Re: failure because of "error creating font" - can I use a command line to specify the folder to open.

As explained in a previous post (which you appear to have read), it may be that the system is unable to find the font on your system.

Unfortunately, I guess that unless you know which font is required, you will not be able to view the message.

What you can try:

Move all .cnm files from your user mailbox folder to another folder on your computer. cnm files are messages that populate your New Mail folder, so after moving them and starting Pegasus Mail your new mail folder will be empty.

Then:

Replace each .cnm file one at a time until you find the message causing the problem (Presumably the latest message). You can view the cnm using a text editor. If it contains attachments, try configuring Pegasus Mail to always display messages as plain text. Hopefully, you can then put the cnm back in your mail folder in your Pmail folder and use Pegasus Mail to view it.

•  06-03-2011, 15:11

• idw is online. Last active: Sat, Aug 18 2018, 10:54 idw
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 45,395
    • BetaTeam

Re: failure because of "error creating font" - can I use a command line to specify the folder to open.

Richard Bacon:
    Hi. The first message in my new mail folder gives an error "error creating font - cannotopenfont(b)" and then Pegasus crashes. This means I cannot get to any of my mail folders and I cannot delete the message.

There's something weird about this error message: It sounds pretty much like a TER (the plain text reader and all-purpose editor control) error, but there shouldn't be a special font required for displaying plain text emails - unless you disabled both IERenderer and BearHtml so TER is also used for displaying HTML messages. If you did not do the latter it's most probably indeed a printer related issue - did your previous attempts include changing your machine's (Windows) default printer?

But aside from this there's an easy way to access your new mail folder nevertheless (unless Pegasus Mail already crashes on start-up while automatically opening it): You can either disable the preview via the Folders menu so you can select any messages without being rendered - or you simply open the new mail folder in a separate Window by double clicking it in the folder tree. Both these methods should enable you to find the offending message if it isn't a printer issue like explained above.

If you can identify a certain message causing this issue we would like to get its CNM file as a zipped attachment to the beta reports account at <beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz>. If all this doesn't solve your issue we would also be interested in getting a crash dump using the MiniDump tool.

Michael

--
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 26 5c a3 60 02 c6 e3 8a 75 70 d5 6a 67 ff d3 8d b0 b5 5e 5b
  •  06-04-2011, 3:51

THANK YOU!!!! Functionality now restored! "SEGOE UI" seems to be the problem!

There's a cold beer waiting for you here in New Zealand!

Cheers

Richard

•  06-04-2011, 3:59

Thanks for the help - the problem was that Pegasus crashed as soon as it was opened.

I will send the offending message and run the program - but it might take a few days to organise it.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Richard

View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page