Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Corrupted IMAP folder display

Last post 06-10-2013, 19:34 by Rolf Lindby. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-24-2013, 16:44

Corrupted IMAP folder display

We currently have a Mercury IMAP server that has been working fine for years, and suddenly when using an outlook client, a specific folder in IMAP shows email messages very strangely. The from and to lines are blank, and there is cryptic letters/numbers in the body when viewed. We have tried multiple computers, same issue. Also tried restarting Mercury mail. This is with Mercury/32 v4.01a. Outlook version is 2010.
    Filed under: , , , , , ,
  •  05-25-2013, 3:46

• Rolf Lindby is not online. Last active: 2019-04-19, 14:58 Rolf Lindby
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • SuperStar
    • Points 26,065
    • BetaTeam Moderator SystemAdministrator

Re: Corrupted IMAP folder display

I would start by making a backup of the mailbox, and then run mbxmaint.exe or mbxmaint_ui.exe to check and, if an error is found, fix the folder. Mbxmaint is included with recent versions of Pegasus and Mercury, and can be downloaded separately here: http://community.pmail.com/files/folders/utils/entry25339.aspx

If that doesn't solve it I would first check the folder using some other IMAP client. If it looks strange there as well I would conclude that the file is damaged and needs to be restored from a previous backup.

Updating to the current version of Mercury is recommended as well, even though it probably wouldn't help solving this specific folder issue.

/Rolf 

•  05-27-2013, 20:18

Will do, I'm just getting a machine ready for migration so I will use that to test and let you know.
  •  05-30-2013, 16:19

I tried another client (Thunderbird) and it had the same issue. I will need to do the repair utility option, but I am worried about it breaking the mailbox. Do I need to stop mercury for this tool to run?
  •  05-31-2013, 0:19

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • SuperStar
    • Points 26,065

No need to stop Mercury, but avoid having any IMAP client connected to the mailbox during the repair, and make an extra backup copy of it to be on the safe side.

/Rolf 

•  06-10-2013, 14:40

I ran the repair utility with the fix mode on all files, and then I had to do repair on a few... however I still see corrupted mail like before... and I cannot export to .PST (In Outlook the copy progress box disappears after a few seconds and the file is only 20-30MB.)
  •  06-10-2013, 19:34

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • SuperStar
    • Points 26,065

Did you try to access the mailbox from Thunderbird after repairing it? If it looks broken from both Outlook and Thunderbird the mailbox files probably need to be restored from a previous backup.
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page