Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

How Pmail 5 will handle attachments?

Last post 05-12-2014, 10:39 by FJR. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-24-2013, 8:32

• aquila is not online. Last active: 12-26-2014, 6:27 aquila
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2013
    • Points 1,090

How Pmail 5 will handle attachments?

I don't know if this is a question that can be answered or not. If it's not time yet or for any reason we can't talk about Pmail5 I'll understand.

In case we can talk about it, the question is: will attachments be saved to Copies to Self folder or it will work as in Pmail 4.x?

Thanks.

Filed under:
  •  07-28-2013, 4:39

• Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2013
    • Points 1,090

Re: How Pmail 5 will handle attachments?

Maybe changing the way I asked about it may help to answer it.

Is there any chance Pmail will save automatically attachments to sent emails in the next release?

•  07-28-2013, 13:00

• PaulW is not online. Last active: 06 Oct 2019, 18:22 PaulW
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • UK
    • SuperStar
    • Points 18,410

aquila:

I don't know if this is a question that can be answered or not. If it's not time yet or for any reason we can't talk about Pmail5 I'll understand.

In case we can talk about it, the question is: will attachments be saved to Copies to Self folder or it will work as in Pmail 4.x?

If you do a search on "attachments" in this forum you'll find a couple of answers from David Harris on this issue.

Here's one: http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/1406.aspx

•  07-28-2013, 23:06

• Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2013
    • Points 1,090

Thank you PaulW, I searched the forum but I didn't find that thread.

So, David replied on 05-08-2007. That doesn't sound promising, it was 6 years ago.

The attachment feature is one if not the main reason among with the international spell-checker stopping me from using Pmail as default email client.

•  07-29-2013, 10:00

• PaulW is not online. Last active: 06 Oct 2019, 18:22 PaulW
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • UK
    • SuperStar
    • Points 18,410

aquila:

Thank you PaulW, I searched the forum but I didn't find that thread.

So, David replied on 05-08-2007. That doesn't sound promising, it was 6 years ago.

That was the last time it was discussed here, so hardly overwhelming user demand (although I it is likely to be important for some).

•  08-05-2013, 0:39

• aderoy is not online. Last active: 10-21-2019, 18:50 aderoy
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2007
    • Participant
    • Points 2,600

Would not the easiest method for the people who need/require the 'copy to self' contain all attached files is to automatically BCC themselves with the normal 'copy to self' disabled?

Could be best of both worlds imho

•  08-06-2013, 5:05

• Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2013
    • Points 1,090

aderoy:

Would not the easiest method for the people who need/require the 'copy to self' contain all attached files is to automatically BCC themselves with the normal 'copy to self' disabled?

Could be best of both worlds imho

Nope, because that would mean to download every single message after the user send it. On top of that, if the attachment is big and the user is on a limit bandwidth it clearly becomes an issue.

The easiest solution would be to handle the attachment automatically and/or provide an option to turn it off.

•  08-06-2013, 18:06

• anbecker is not online. Last active: 05-26-2015, 18:23 anbecker
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-11-2007
    • Germany
    • Points 795

aquila:

Nope, because that would mean to download every single message after the user send it. On top of that, if the attachment is big and the user is on a limit bandwidth it clearly becomes an issue.

You could use PM in multi-user mode and BCC yourself by using your local name. In such case the message is transferred locally and will not be up-/downloaded over the internet. Then you could use filtering rules so that such message is automatically stored in your folder for sent mails, marked as "read". At the end you have the desired result.

•  08-12-2013, 17:37

• Rolf is not online. Last active: 09-18-2019, 0:10 Rolf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-11-2007
    • Johannesburg
    • Points 840

I'd like to disagree with your conclusion on this one... I, for one, fully support aquila's call. The reason I haven't raised it that it was so utterly dismissed in previous forum entries!

Whilst I fully accept David's reasoning, I don't really agree with him on this question. In addition, the fact that web-based email and most other email programmes do now store attachments makes it a de facto standard - and one that I would like to see in all my emails.

I believe that the option of making it the user's choice in a settings menu is the way to go...

•  02-20-2014, 17:55

Hello!

aquila:
    The attachment feature is one if not the main reason among with the international spell-checker stopping me from using Pmail as default email client.

I can't tell you any news on the attachment suggestion; however, I can tell you that the next version 4.7 will have a new spell-checker that might solve the problems you experienced.

A "release candidate" of version 4.7 is currently tested by the beta testers; 4.7 will also update the SSL-/TLS-encryption (when communicating with a mailserver).

Support Pegasus Mail here: http://www.pmail.com/donate.htm

Visit the Pegasus Mail Online shop here: http://www.cafepress.com/pegasusmail
  •  02-21-2014, 17:47

• ded1127 is not online. Last active: 2015-05-15, 13:58 ded1127
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-06-2009
    • Points 30

I would like to second or third or whatever number we are on, this request.

While I am here though I would like to thank Dave and all who work on Pegasus Mail for their efforts in building and maintaining this program.

•  02-22-2014, 0:04

• irelam is not online. Last active: 10-21-2019, 17:02 irelam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • SuperStar
    • Points 21,175
    • BetaTeam Moderator

Just a question on the Web-based email storing attachments.   Q: When was the last time you referred to an email attachment rather than the original source (Word document/spreadsheet etc)?  When you use an app to create a document, you have to save it somewhere, and then when composing a message you either embed the attachment file or just supply a link to it on your website.  Either way the original file till exists until you delete it. As mentioned in this thread, the solution would be to simply copy yourself when sending the message out. You can then see what the recipient is reading.

As I see it, there is an inherent risk if you have a document in two places, the original app document storage and an attachment to a message.  Revisions to the original document may not be forwarded on to the recipient. 

My 2 cents worth

Martin 

•  02-25-2014, 16:34

• aderoy is not online. Last active: 10-21-2019, 18:50 aderoy
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2007
    • Participant
    • Points 2,600

Another item to add to the saving attachments:

There is the 'original' created file (Word processor, Spreadsheet etc) and the one sent via e-mail. Now there is the possibility of different versions (modified at send time or on the disk later).

How many people use an e-mail program as a document management system? 

Yes disk drives are cheap (when was the last time you backed up your filestore?), yet they are fragile.

Which one is 'proper'? More in the area of the legal teams and not home users of course.

Food for thought.

•  04-20-2014, 19:17

• Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2013
    • Points 1,090

The idea is not to have a document management system, even though I found myself in situation where the original document has been deleted and I could still access to it because of the email.

Besides that, quite often happens that I'm on the phone with a client, they refer to files I've sent and, since email is one of the app I keep open most of the time, it's way easier and faster for me to just reopen that email. This way not only I've access to the file right away, rather then going in to the proper folder (and jobs sharing point folders are deeply organized, i.e. lot of sub-folders), but also I can look at the email message as well, keeping documents and message on screen at the same time.

Would Pmail creates a link to the local file would already be something, rather what I see is just a plain text such as: "D:\Works\Production\Client\ClientIn\Reference\Images\Sky.jpg", not even mentioning serve paths where folder structure can be even worst than that.

Setting up the BCC is instead less straightforward and require several extra steps, quite unhandy indeed. CCing requires to download the msg, even more awkward if you will.

Lastly, I don't see how giving the option to save attachments would hurt anyone.

•  04-20-2014, 21:02

• peggy is not online. Last active: 11. Mar 2017, 12:55 peggy
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-24-2008
    • Contributor
    • Points 3,300

AW: Re: How Pmail 5 will handle attachments?

Hi aquola, Smile

I am sending the mails not directly. I use the queue. Then I copy the necessary message (s) before sending in the relevant Pegasus mail folder and after that I send the message. So I have the complete mail with all attachments in the Pmail mail folders as a completely copy without that I have to send the Mail as a BBC to my self.

I understand you, but at the moment this is th only way so safe completely mails with all attachments without sending the mail (s) to my self.

Peggy Wilted Flower

Du brauchst nicht unbedingt den Rat anderer befolgen, damit du dich gut fühlst. Oft genügt es schon um Rat zu fragen.....
    ~~~
    You do not necessarily follow the advice of others, to make you feel good. Often it is enough to ask for advice .....
Page 1 of 2 (23 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page