Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Content Control hangs

Last post 08-15-2013, 0:00 by irelam. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-30-2013, 22:05

• rwears is not online. Last active: 03-13-2018, 19:49 rwears
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-18-2008
    • Points 185

Content Control hangs

I have only content control enabled.  Periodically it hangs, typically after it has detected a message to be moved to the junk folder.  Have tried changing the number of bytes to scan -- if around 2000, it doesn't hang but also doesn't pick up addresses that are in the blacklist.  If around 3000 or greater, hangs.

The offending message is not huge (50 k).

Any ideas?

bob

•  08-06-2013, 20:02

• Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-18-2008
    • Points 185

Re: Content Control hangs - as does Spamhalter

Because the content control problem is unresolved, I disabled it and turned on Spamhalter instead (the version integrated into Pegasus, not the one running on Mercury).  And ...  same problem occurs, albeit slightly less frequently.  Very occasionally, Spamhalther will identify and move spammy messages to the designated spam folder without barfing, but about 90% of the time, it hangs on the first spam message it encounters.

CPU usage goes up to about 25%, and stays there at least overnight (as long as I've let it run w/o killing the application).  If I do kill it and then restart, one message has been moved but the others have not been touched.

Very disappointing -- I've had Process Explorer running sometimes to try to diagnosis the problem, but can't see any other procedure being called or being waited on.

bob

•  08-06-2013, 20:39

• idw is not online. Last active: Fri, Jun 14 2019, 7:23 idw
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 46,510
    • BetaTeam

Do you have Tools => Options => Advanced options => Load Internet Services ... set to Always? If you need to change it accordingly restart Pegasus Mail after doing so.

If that doesn't help read this post and act accordingly. The Minidump extension can help in debugging hangs by doing a Snapshot via its respective Start menu shortcut (please allow its creation on installation).

Michael

--
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 26 5c a3 60 02 c6 e3 8a 75 70 d5 6a 67 ff d3 8d b0 b5 5e 5b
  •  08-13-2013, 23:18

• Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-18-2008
    • Points 185

Thank you -- I did have winsock always loaded, but see that IErenderer has a new version.  I've installed that (including the new tidylib.dll), and enabled minidump, as it seems the problem is still occurring, but with reduced frequency.  Will use minidump to send a snapshot if / when a hang occurs again.

Thanks for the help

rlw

•  08-14-2013, 22:59

• Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-18-2008
    • Points 185

Still happening, with either Spamhalter or content control, or both enabled.

Sent some minidump files in ...

•  08-15-2013, 0:00

• irelam is not online. Last active: 06-15-2019, 17:59 irelam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • SuperStar
    • Points 20,590
    • BetaTeam Moderator

What is your POP3 timeout value set to, in your POP3 configuration?  See General tab in the POP3 Internet Mail options.  This value should be at least 300 seconds, to allow for slow or fragmented download of the message from your ISP.  Note that when reviewing the timeout setting, it is coded in two places, as mentioned above in the General options, and also in the POP3 settings for a specific POP3 server, which can be viewed by selecting the active POP3 definition and "editing" it. You should see a Timeout value which should be set to the same large amount.

Martin

View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page