Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

MultiUser mode for new install? Is it really necessary? What do the experts say???

Last post 08-16-2017, 9:45 by Greenman. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-04-2017, 4:07

• momnatur is not online. Last active: 08-17-2017, 1:14 momnatur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-30-2012
    • Points 295

MultiUser mode for new install? Is it really necessary? What do the experts say???

I've got a question or ten about the install process... I installed Pegasus anew because of all the problems I've been having. (Please see my previous post from 4/28/2017, for a thorough discussionof those problems.) When I chose multiuser, at the suggestion of the folks in the listserv area.  However, the subdirectories were created on the C: drive which is too small. 

I am the only user on the system and I have multiple "identities" which has worked for me for years.  I really don't need multiple uses for Peggy because I am using a virtual machine to run windows just so that I can continue to use Pegasus.

MUST l Ieave it there on C: or what other options do I have for one userr with multiple identities (which I used to use IDENTITIES to manage)?

How should I handle this?  

Help please?

•  05-04-2017, 16:34

• Greenman is not online. Last active: 21 Aug 2017, 16:34 Greenman
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • UK
    • Star
    • Points 12,310

Re: MultiUser mode for new install? Is it really necessary? What do the experts say???

Exit Pegasus Mail, move your mail folder to the drive of your choice.

Navigate to Pegasus Mail's installation folder (usually C:\PMail), and delete the file pmail.cfg.

Start Pegasus Mail. it will prompt you for the user mode. Choose multi-user and it will next ask you where your mail is held - point it at the other drive location e.g. D:\Mail. If successful, the dialog will list the user name(s) of your mail account(s) and you are good to go. 

•  05-04-2017, 19:19

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-30-2012
    • Points 295

Re: MultiUser mode for new install? Is it really necessary? What do the experts say???

First off, thank you for your response.  I'm grateful for all the help.

Your message made me realize that I neglected to mention that I want everything on D:, but that's not a problem I can deal with that easily enough. 

But, I didn't remember the installer asking me anything otner than a file name.  Guess I could have put a full path there, but didn't think to, because I was asked about where ALL user's mail folders would live. 

If you are only ONE user, then they would be the same.  BUT if this is truly for multiple users, then D:/something would probably not work. In my case, all my multiple Identities are forwarded by the mail server to a single email address. I just have Pegasus process the messages differently

My question is why everyone (who replied to my posts) pushes the multi-user setup (even without my asking?) I don't need it and I know that I won't need it, either. (For one thing, my husband won't use a mac; I sometimes think that he's afraid of it. There are only two of us here.)  I'm just curious about it?

•  05-05-2017, 15:57

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • UK
    • Star
    • Points 12,310

I don't know why folks are promoting a multi-user installation over a single-user one. It does not really matter because the functionality is the same. It does not matter where the mail is stored, either. What matters that Pegasus Mail knows where your mail is - either a different drive or a different computer.

Why not do a new install on your D:\ drive? 

•  05-06-2017, 1:59

• Brian Fluet is not online. Last active: 08-21-2017, 22:58 Brian Fluet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 16,050

I'm intrigued by the comment "everyone pushes the mult-user setup".  That was common in the early days of Pegasus Mail when it was introduced as a mail client for a Netware LAN but I don't recall seeing much in the way of recommending a multi-user install.  The obvious advantage to multi-user is the ease of adding another user should you ever decide to do so.  Some of use (me!) are soooo old school that having our mailbox folder named "Admin" just doesn't seem right.  The multi-user mode names it the same as the Pegasus Mail user to whom it belongs.

Brian Fluet
  •  08-07-2017, 5:12

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-30-2012
    • Points 295

Brian,

What I was referring to was the responses from the ListServ side of life... almost every reply I got volunteered new install in multiuser mode.  But that was long away and far ago.  Alot has happened since then and I desperately am in need of your expertise, if you please.

I thought I had read in one of your responses on this forum that you had mail boxes stored on a server somewhere.  I am asking because I want to have all my major folders as well as my New Mail folder stored on my mac rather than in my Windows 7 virtual machine.

Here is what my setup looks like right now....

mac - users - me ... Parallels - Windows 7 Virtual Machine, which has a c: drive.  That is where PMail was installed... using the "new" standard configuragion \Programs and \Mail. 

What I want to do is have my mail located on mac - users - me - Pegasus Mail Boxes - Mail - my user name (home mailbox) - New Mail.

Everything that I tried, and everything Parallels tech support tried did not result in any of my mail folders being found.  The Parallels support guy concluded that what I wanted to do was not possible with out getting more information. 

One thing I tried was to map a "local" drive d: to mac - users - me - Pegasus Mail Boxes... then the mail would be going to d:\Mail\me and new mail would be at d:\Mail\me\NewMail.  But I could not get that configuration to work either using "conventional" means.

So, first off, can I do what I want to do, ie. having the program installed on c:\ and the mail folders and new mail files located on my main Mac drive?  If so, what is the magic spell that I need to make this happen?  And, finally, what else do I need to know about doing things this way, as opposed to more conventional configurations?

Please Please help me.

Thank you.

•  08-07-2017, 9:41

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • UK
    • Star
    • Points 12,310

I'm not a Mac user, but isn't there an inherent issue with file systems here? Why not have everything on the Windows 7 VM? 
  •  08-07-2017, 13:20

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 16,050

Confirm that you can create, read, and modify files on the mapped D: from the widows machine.  Test by creating and modifying text files.  If that works then, in Pegasus Mail on the Windows machine, go to Help > About Pegasus Mail and click the Info button.  Copy the contents of that window into a reply.

Brian Fluet
  •  08-07-2017, 18:50

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-30-2012
    • Points 295

Greenman,

A virtual machine is a container (a file, actually) that includes all the information needed to make things run properly for whatever guest operating system is being "simulated" (my word choice because I could not think of a better one without using the word "virtual".)  That means that there is a lot of proprietary files and such encrypted so that the techniques used by the manufacturer, in this case Parallels, cannot be easilly stolen by other makers of virtual machine software.  All well and good, as long as your virtual machine runs properly. 

If the virtual machine should run into problems, you are at the mercy of the developer to either provide you with help, be it interactive help files, on-line knowledge base or technical support of some sort.  I've used all of these resources at one time or another. 

Bare in mind that, for Parallels, tier 1 tech support is in India and tier 2 tech support is in Russia. So, of course, each technician is speaking a foreign language when they communicate in English, and each person has anywhere from a severe accent to a mild one.  And unfortunately, I have a hearing problem with difficulty differentiating sounds, like the ones that naturally occur with those speaking English as a foreign language.

If you needn to access anything that lives inside that container, like email or check book (I have both in Windows only software, by the way) you don't have many resources to look inside the container to extract, or even reference, the things you seek because the corruption usually affects part of that proprietary infrastucture which makes the virtual machine not act like it is supposed to... so normal back doors fail, just like the virtual machine fails to work normally.

I have had my virtual machine corrupted more times than I'd like. Each time was quite ugly and debilitating.  Each time the virtual machine was corrupted, I had to jump through hoops the size of a flea in order to get any access to any emails, some of which date back to 1992. 

I don't ever want to go through that again.

Please forgive me, this was intended to be a quick response.  However, without all the background information, I don't think that the nexxt to last paragraph would have had much impact; almost every issue or decision is complicated by other factors.  This post explains all the "pertinent poop", if you will, that complicates mine.  I hope you understand.

Thank you for reading.

•  08-07-2017, 19:39

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 16,050

If I understand correctly, you want Pegasus Mail running in the Win7 virtual machine but want the mailbox directory outside of the virtual machine.  Good luck with that.  I can provide thoughts and suggestions about things to test to see if it might work but that's about it.  I haven't heard of anyone doing what you are attempting but think the subject would be better as it's own post in the hopes of attracting the attention of someone running Pegasus Mail in a similar fashion.

If the Mac has USB, consider putting Pegasus Mail and the mailboxes on a USB stick and running it from the virtual machine.

Brian Fluet
  •  08-08-2017, 0:30

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-30-2012
    • Points 295

Brian,

First of all, I do want to thank you so very much for all the time and effort that you've spent trying to get my mail setup back functioning.  I've seen this effort from you time and time again over the decades (I've been around a long time, also) and I just can't thank you enough for your help!

I've bee working on getting you the information you asked me for, but it has become rather complicated... (which we won't get into.)  Before I forget again, yes, I can create and edit files on the mapped drive.

But I'd forgotten to resubscribe to this thread and just found your message.

Ok, so I can't split the "program" branch and the "mail" branch..... can I have everything on my mac drive, ie. outside the virtual machine?  I wasn't having much luck getting it installed to a network drive when I tried it before.   Bu, then again, I don't think I had the drive mapped to "d:" either.

Wait a minute.... you said that I could install to a thumb drive (usb stick)... so, how is that different than having it installed into a subdirectory on my mac which would be mapped to a drive letter like d:? 

This is gettig a bit confusing for me....

If you have mail on a server, maybe you could explain how you are set up. 

I have another question along these same lines regarding the New Mail folder and where *.pmx files are supposed to be stored before they are sent (I read something about this somewhere.)  For me it is imperative that New Mail be kept in a directory other than my home mailbox.  But I have not found a way to tell Pegasus to do that, although I do see entries for new mail folder in PMail.ini.  I also see two subdirectories in the PMail.cfg and both point to my home directory (What are these directories for anyway?)  But I've put my New Mail directory underneath my home directory, just so that I can keep them separate. Is that an ok location?  So, how do I get this stuff working right? 

I've got almost 1200 messages on my isp's server that must come down soon, because I'm almost out of "free" space (as opposed to "paid" space.... and I don't want to go there either.)

I'm going back to playing with Peggy's configuration so that I can get you the info you asked me for this morning.  Something has got to work....

Thank you again.

•  08-08-2017, 3:45

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 16,050

I'm confused too.  It's been a long time since I've touched a mac but back then there was DOS (and early Windows) and the mac.  The two didn't mix.  Virtual machines now allow you to run a Windows OS on a mac but I don't comprehend how you can have a Windows directory outside of the virtual machine, let alone map it to a drive letter.  If you've done it then you should be able to use it from within the virtual machine like any other drive. Theoretically, you should be able to move your mailbox directory to that drive and then run PCONFIG32.EXE  which will create a new PMAIL.CFG file that tells Pegasus Mail where the root home mailbox directory now is.  The path must end with the appropriate substitution for the mailbox directory name (use the question mark button).  The most common is ~N for the mailbox directory name being the same as the Pegasus Mail username.  So a path might look like D:\PMAIL\MAIL\~N.  The mailbox directory(ies) would then be inside of D:\PMAIL\MAIL.  Then end result would be a Pegasus Mail user named Bill, who has a mailbox directory named "Bill" would now have his mailbox located at D:\PMAIL\MAIL\Bill.

I don't know what your current users or installation paths are so am making a lot of assumptions.  What I've said may make sense if my assumptions are correct. If they're not, we'll need to reboot once I know more.  This probably doesn't need to be said but I'll say it anyways... Maintain a backup as you work through this.

As for New mail separate from Home, I have never done it so think it best to make that a separate discussion.

FWIW, running off of a USB stick can eliminate the need for paths.  If the program files and mailbox directories are on the stick you the start Pegasus Mail with the /ROAM command line option which tells it that all files are on the device from which it was started.  I now don't see any practical application of this for you.

Brian Fluet
  •  08-08-2017, 17:17

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • UK
    • Star
    • Points 12,310

Have you tried using UNC paths instead of mapped drive letters? e.g. instead of Z:\mail use \\computername\mail
  •  08-08-2017, 18:26

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-30-2012
    • Points 295

Greenman,

Thank you for your reply.  Unfortunately, I have.  Even the Parallels tier two tech support tried it.  Neither of us had any luck.

I am open to any and all suggestions, so please keep them coming.

David H., do you have any suggestions on how I can do this?

Thank you.

•  08-09-2017, 10:24

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • UK
    • Star
    • Points 12,310

OK, then. Can you access a share created by the MAC OS from the Win7 VM. For example, can you use the Win7 VM to open Computer and navigate to the shared mail folder? Or, are you saying that this is an exclusive Pegasus Mail issue and that Pegasus Mail is unable to see the mail folder? At the end of the day any application will use the OS to connect to a share. It is the OS that provides the networking technology enabling visibility of/access to shared resources.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page