Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Verizon Mail - Can't send Mail

Last post 03-12-2018, 13:49 by sceneryguru. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-01-2018, 18:36

Verizon Mail - Can't send Mail

Good Afternoon:

This AM when attempting to reply to a business e-mail I noticed that I couldn't send.

No problem receiving mail. No changes to any of the setting...

Was on the phone with AOL tech support, they were helpful but of no assistance.

I can't prove it but I firmly believe that the difficulty lies in the Verizon/AOL SMTP server. 

I use my Pegasus for business communications and have for years. I'm dead in the water... any constructive thoughts are gratefully accepted.

Thank you

Tom G, Sr. 

•  03-01-2018, 19:13

• Brian Fluet is not online. Last active: 12-09-2018, 18:45 Brian Fluet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 22,730

Re: Verizon Mail - Can't send Mail

In case this is relevant...

The following comment was recently posted in a discussion about an AOL login problem:

Apparently AOL has recently changed their logon to require the full name, e.g., "username@verizon.net"; not just "username"

You might want to search out Verizon's most current connection requirements to check for any other changes (ports,SSL/TLS settings).

Also, an internet session log may identify the point of failure.  Don't post a entire log though because it will contain credentials, possibly encrypted so as to be unrecognizable if you don't know what to look for, but it's easily decrypted.

•  03-06-2018, 0:32

The problems started February 14/15.  I initially opened a ticket with the LOUSY AOL Support on 2/16.

Oath is a subsidiary of Verizon but separate.  Oath is in the process of merging the email systems of AOL, Yahoo and Verizon.  In doing so they have fouled up the Verizon email services.

When I initially opened the ticket with AOL this is what I experienced and it was with AOL POP3...

When  pop.verizon.net  [ which is the published address to use ] is used and it resolves to;  global-jpop-aol.mail.gm0.yahoodns.net   POP does not work correctly.

When  pop.verizon.net  resolves to;   pop-verizonmail.egslb.aol.com   POP works as expected.

When the email client is hard coded for;   pop-verizonmail.egslb.aol.com   POP works properly

It is now March 5 and pop.verizon.net  resolves to;  global-jpop-aol.mail.gm0.yahoodns.net

Now SMTP is also problematic.

Both;  smtp.verizon.net   and  outgoing.verizon.net  resolve to;  smtp-verizonmail.egslb.aol.com

HOWEVER, now smtp-verizonmail.egslb.aol.com is NOT configured properly for TLS/SSL

When  Verizon moved its email to AOL infrastructure we noted a similar issue.  rednoise is not online. Last active: 11-02-2015, 3:17 rednoise  came up with an eloquent solution using a SSL Proxy software called STunnel.

RE:  Re: Pegasus Mail and Verizon FIOS

The objective is to install STunnel as a NT Service [ "C:\Program Files\stunnel\bin\stunnel.exe" -install ]

and then to edit its configuration file for Verizon servers;  C:\Program Files\stunnel\config\stunnel.conf

and add...

[verizon-POP3-SSL]
    ; SSL connection to Verizon's POP3 server for Pegasus
    client = yes
    accept = 10995
    connect = pop-verizonmail.egslb.aol.com:995

[verizon-smtp-SSL]
    ; SSL connection to Verizon's SMTP server for Pegasus
    client = yes
    accept = 10465
    ;connect = smtp.verizon.net:465
    connect = smtp-verizonmail.egslb.aol.com:465

STunnel will listen at Ports 10995 and 10465 on the local PC [ 127.0.0.1 ] and when it sees activity at these ports it makes the secure connection at AOL Email servers using the TCP ports they require  but uses STunnel to provide the secure connection.

In P-Mail go to;  Tools --> Internet Options --> Sending ( SMTP ) --> Add

Give it a name such as "Verizon STunnel Proxy" and setup like the below...

--
    Dave
  •  03-12-2018, 2:03

• garyoa1 is not online. Last active: 03-16-2018, 15:37 garyoa1
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-23-2010
    • Points 600

Actually, same problem here just popped up a few days ago. Receiving is fine, just can't send. I'm using my own domain. Interestingly I also use eudora for some other addresses and have no problem whatsoever with that. Same settings as peg. 
  •  03-12-2018, 13:49

Just a quick update... my suspicions were correct in that my inability to send mail was a direct result of issues at AOL / Verizon. At this point things appear to be OK with an occasional hiccup.

Thanks

Tom G, Sr. 

View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page