Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Pegasus Mail Development and Version 5

Last post 04-23-2018, 13:50 by Pmail Ninja. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-10-2013, 23:34

• Honeybee is not online. Last active: 09-11-2013, 10:18 Honeybee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2013
    • Points 65

Pegasus Mail Development and Version 5

Hello everyone using, supporting and liking Pegasus Mail. I like Pegasus Mail since a long time and would very much like to continue using it and waiting for the new version. Due to some problems (e.g. uneasiness to use the windows and desktop) searching for alternatives will be a must. So is there any chance for the new version 5 to come out this year? Many thanks in advance.
    Filed under:
  •  09-13-2013, 17:39

• chriscw is not online. Last active: 10-16-2018, 14:41 chriscw
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-14-2007
    • Basingstoke, England
    • Contributor
    • Points 3,845

Re: Pegasus Mail Development and Version 5

I would like to echo those sentiments is there any news on Pegasus Mail version 5, do we have a idea of timescale to a beta and to a release?  Is there anything we can do to help?
    Chris Clarke-Williams
    I T Manager
    Wicks and Wilson Ltd
  •  09-13-2013, 20:26

• bogus is not online. Last active: 05-07-2018, 16:14 bogus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-21-2007
    • Points 560

Yes, I am interested as well. If you need Beta-Tester let me know.
  •  09-14-2013, 0:48

• jbanks is not online. Last active: 10-13-2018, 14:53 jbanks
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-09-2007
    • Prince Edward Island, Canada
    • Points 1,225

Elsewhere on the site David replied to someones post and at the bottom wrote

"I believe I am still on target for getting at least a wide-consumption beta of v5 out the door before the end of the year, but it will be late in the year.    Cheers!  -- David --"

Looking forward to it myself....
    full post here:

http://community.pmail.com/forums/post/39031.aspx

•  10-31-2013, 2:22

Thanks for sharing David Harris's encouraging status report.  I hope he can feel supported and appreciated by Pegasus users.
  •  11-11-2013, 4:49

• newsmedia is not online. Last active: Wed, Dec 06 2017, 14:31 newsmedia
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-07-2010
    • Ireland
    • Points 390

Honeybee:
    Hello everyone using, supporting and liking Pegasus Mail. I like Pegasus Mail since a long time and would very much like to continue using it and waiting for the new version. Due to some problems (e.g. uneasiness to use the windows and desktop) searching for alternatives will be a must. So is there any chance for the new version 5 to come out this year? Many thanks in advance.

Hi

Likewise, am a long time ardent supporter (since 1999) of Pegasus Mail and (apart from a grumble I should have never written some years back (-: ) am vey much looking forwards to David's latest release, especially the update to the address book ...

Rgds

•  11-11-2013, 12:13

David's Pegasus Mail and Mercury Developer News was updated very recently: http://www.pmail.com/devnews.htm

After seventeen years of using Pegasus I've learned that the waits are well rewarded.

•  11-12-2013, 21:33

Yes, I hope that v5 can happen.  My best to David Harris.
  •  11-13-2013, 11:35

Me too, looking forward to see v5. As a long time user of pmail I never used the address book as it is not user friendly. I'm about to switch to another mail programm (Thunderbird?) but now I read about the new address book I like to wait for that. Can we please be informed on what features can be expected? The description given by Davis is promissing as well vague: "... a fully-fledged Contact Manager, with an incredibly rich and extensive range of data attributes and capabilities"...

I really hope I can merge/manage the contacts  of my android phone somehow with Pegasus. No need for a full sync, but a least some import/export.

I'm not ready to give up on Pegasus, keep up the good work.

Kind regards, Emile

Filed under: , ,
  •  11-18-2013, 18:41

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-14-2007
    • Basingstoke, England
    • Contributor
    • Points 3,845

I had a look at this on the other Pegasus web site http://www.pmail.com/devnews.htm   I note that David has been spending a lot of time encrypting stuff which seems like a big mistake to me, one of the great features is that if you get stuck you can just use notepad to open the relevant files and make changes if you want to.  I guess we may loose some of that.  Quite apart from how do you recover if your system goes down and tyou want to just copy your backup to another PC,.   Still let's wait and see what we get.

Chris Clarke-Williams
    I T Manager
    Wicks and Wilson Ltd
  •  12-23-2013, 17:19

• Yaff is not online. Last active: 2016-11-28, 3:51 Yaff
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-11-2009
    • Points 1,035

chriscw:

I had a look at this on the other Pegasus web site http://www.pmail.com/devnews.htm   I note that David has been spending a lot of time encrypting stuff which seems like a big mistake to me, one of the great features is that if you get stuck you can just use notepad to open the relevant files and make changes if you want to.  I guess we may loose some of that.  Quite apart from how do you recover if your system goes down and tyou want to just copy your backup to another PC,.   Still let's wait and see what we get.

I haven't seen any of the work yet but just reading your post also raised the same concern. As long as we can safely store the key somewhere and able to decrypt offline for repair we should be OK.

•  01-07-2014, 14:23

• FJR is not online. Last active: 2018-08-22, 14:29 FJR
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-10-2007
    • Dortmund / Germany
    • Star
    • Points 7,425

Didn't see Chris' message before:

chriscw:
    I note that David has been spending a lot of time encrypting stuff which seems like a big mistake to me, one of the great features is that if you get stuck you can just use notepad to open the relevant files and make changes if you want to.  I guess we may loose some of that. Quite apart from how do you recover if your system goes down and tyou want to just copy your backup to another PC,.   Still let's wait and see what we get.

The encrytion stuff David is spending so much time is for communication between Pegasus (or Mercury) and (other) mailservers. There is nothing about encrypting the files of Pegasus.

And the update for encrytion of communication (SSL/TLS) is evident. I.e. in germany most providers change their policies this year (or have already done) forcing users to use encrypted connections to their servers. And at least some of them won't support older versions of encryption mechanismen of SSL or TLS any more. In other words: David better hurries up implementing OpenSSL making Pegasus and Mercury capable handling up to date SSL/TLS or Pegasus and Mercury will soon loose their users, because they have no other opportunity if they want to continue reading their mails.

bye    Olaf

•  01-21-2014, 18:37

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-14-2007
    • Basingstoke, England
    • Contributor
    • Points 3,845

Ah I see that's good then.  

Is there any more news on the timing of the public beta?

Chris Clarke-Williams
    I T Manager
    Wicks and Wilson Ltd
  •  02-20-2014, 17:46

Hello!

FJR:
    The encrytion stuff David is spending so much time is for communication between Pegasus (or Mercury) and (other) mailservers. There is nothing about encrypting the files of Pegasus.

http://www.pmail.com/devnews.htm says: "In time, I will also support encrypted folder formats in the program, and we will finally have a truly secure mail client." As far as I understand, the folders in Pegasus Mail itself will be encrypted (not only your outgoing messages). However, I can't tell for sure when this is going to happen.

FJR:
    And the update for encrytion of communication (SSL/TLS) is evident. I.e. in germany most providers change their policies this year (or have already done) forcing users to use encrypted connections to their servers. And at least some of them won't support older versions of encryption mechanismen of SSL or TLS any more. In other words: David better hurries up implementing OpenSSL making Pegasus and Mercury capable handling up to date SSL/TLS or Pegasus and Mercury will soon loose their users, because they have no other opportunity if they want to continue reading their mails.

The next version will be Pegasus Mail 4.7. Currently, a "release candidate" is being tested by the beta testers. Version 4.7 is meant to update the whole SSL-/TLS-encryption (used when communcationg with the respective e-mail server).

Support Pegasus Mail here: http://www.pmail.com/donate.htm

Visit the Pegasus Mail Online shop here: http://www.cafepress.com/pegasusmail
    Filed under: , ,
  •  02-22-2014, 5:30

"release candidate  ...   being tested" ?

Such sweet news !!!!

My best to David Harris & Team.

Page 1 of 2 (30 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page