Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Hacked ?? Password change

Last post 11-26-2019, 13:53 by David H. Lipman. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-26-2018, 13:27

• flame is not online. Last active: 11-05-2018, 0:49 flame
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-11-2012
    • Points 290

Hacked ?? Password change

Hi All;

Long time user here and never really had any issues until now

I have been away from my PC for 2 weeks now (holiday) .  On my return this morning I noticed an email which appeared to come from my own email address.  the body indicated that my account had been hacked and as you would expect was looking for payment

I changed my password in "Tools" - "interner options"-" Receiving (pop3)"   However, when I go to download mail, I get an error message saying 

12:26:19.913: Connect to 'mail.XXXXXX.ie', timeout 15 seconds.
    12:26:24.490: >> +OK <44569.1540553179@pop.XXXXXX>
    12:26:24.490: << USER XXXXXXXX
    12:26:24.504: >> +OK
    << 0024 PASS XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    12:26:24.524: >> -ERR authorization failed

Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated

•  10-26-2018, 14:01

• Brian Fluet is not online. Last active: 12-12-2019, 21:46 Brian Fluet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 27,600

Re: Hacked ?? Password change

The "authorization failed" error indicates an incorrect username or password.  If the host server has webmail access see if you can login using the logged credentials.

•  10-26-2018, 15:48

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-11-2012
    • Points 290

Brian;

I will give it a try

Do you know how teh change password works, When I change it as per the method above, should it recognise the new password immediately

Many thanks

•  10-26-2018, 17:03

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 27,600

The process requires two steps...

1.  Change the access password to your mail host (eg: if it were a gmail account you would login to gmail and do a password change)

2.  Modify your POP3 host configuration to use the new password.

•  10-26-2018, 23:11

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-11-2012
    • Points 290

Hi Brian

I am going direct from PMail to the web and not through Gmail etc, I changed the POP3 password as per my original post but I am unable to get access with the new password, however .. when I enter the old password, I can get in 

It feels like I may have missed one step in changing the password, but am not sure if this is correct or not

I used this short video to learn how to change the password

https://fastdot.com/resources/change-your-email-password-in-pegasus-mail/

Many thanks 

•  10-27-2018, 0:30

• idw is not online. Last active: Fri, Dec 13 2019, 7:07 idw
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,940
    • BetaTeam

flame:
    I am going direct from PMail to the web and not through Gmail etc, I changed the POP3 password as per my original post but I am unable to get access with the new password, however .. when I enter the old password, I can get in

Of course you can since you didn't change the password on your email provider's site. Pegasus Mail only uses the password to log in to your account, it cannot change it on your provider's site where your email account is hosted. No matter which one, you need to change your password there and can only log in with Pegasus Mail using the same new password afterwards. Your provider should have a web page for working with your account without using Pegasus Mail, there you should be able to change your password in the first place.

Michael

--
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
  •  11-02-2018, 20:28

flame:
    I noticed an email which appeared to come from my own email address.
    This is how emails work - anyone can send a mail with any "From" address in the message.It does not anyhow relate to from where the email really came from. So if your address is known, anyone can post messages with your address as the sender's address. It is quite popular by spammers and definitely does not imply your system penetration.

flame:
    the body indicated that my account had been hacked and as you would expect was looking for payment
    Yes, this is currently popular type of spam.

•  11-05-2018, 0:49

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-11-2012
    • Points 290

thank you Michael, I'll give it a try
  •  11-05-2018, 0:49

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-11-2012
    • Points 290

thanks David
  •  11-23-2019, 21:15

• DrPeter is not online. Last active: 11-23-2019, 22:38 DrPeter
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-11-2007
    • Montreal, Canada
    • Points 305

Brian Fluet:

1.  Change the access password to your mail host (eg: if it were a gmail account you would login to gmail and do a password change)

Brian Fluet:

Hi:

I have had to change the password in my email server account, since I received a message that I have been "pwned."  The server is the email service from my ISP.  The password there has been changed, and I can logon to that account by with my browser, via webmail. So the username and password are correct.

I then went into Pegasus (latest version) and made the password change : Tools > Internet Mail Options > Receiving (POP3) > Edit > Password.  I made no other change to any other option.

In Pegasus,  created a test message, and was able to successfully send it  (to a gmail account -- it arrived successfully)

I then tried to download messages from my ISP account.  I get the following error message:

Description of error:  The host claims that either the username or password you have supplied is invalid.

5:03:11.122: --- 23 Nov 2019, 15:03:11.122 ---

15:03:11.122: Connect to 'pop.videotron.ca', timeout 15 seconds.

15:03:12.136: >> +OK Messaging Multiplexor (Oracle Communications Messaging Server 8.0.2.4.20190812 64bit (built Aug 12 2019))

15:03:12.136: << USER pdr

15:03:12.136: >> +OK password required for user pdr

<< 0023 PASS XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

15:03:18.205: >> -ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed

Until I made the password change, all was working correctly. Could it be because Pegasus has a limited number of characters that it will accept in the password field?  If so, why can it send, but not download messages?

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Peter 

Cheers,

Peter
  •  11-23-2019, 21:57

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 27,600

DrPeter:
    Until I made the password change, all was working correctly. Could it be because Pegasus has a limited number of characters that it will accept in the password field?  If so, why can it send, but not download messages?

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Your sending should not have worked if you didn't also change the password in your Pegasus Mail SMTP host configuration, unless you aren't sending via your ISP's SMTP.  Figuring out why it worked might provide a clue into the POP3 problem.

There isn't any question that the POP3 error indicates an incorrect user name or password. 

In situations where settings look fine but connections still fail my appoach is to disable the existing host and create a new one using the current settings provided by the service provider.  Also check whether your ISP requires 2-factor authentication.  If so you'll need to figure out the workaround (perhaps a configuration option that allows less secure apps like in Gmail, or perhaps an App Password).

•  11-23-2019, 22:37

• DrPeter is not online. Last active: 11-23-2019, 22:38 DrPeter
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-11-2007
    • Montreal, Canada
    • Points 305

Re: Password change

Hi Brian:

Thank you for the reply.  I rechecked everything, and reentered  the new password that I had put in.  To be sure that it was the correct one, I put it into Notepad, then did a copy and paste in the web-mail section of the ISP. When I was sure that it worked there, I went back into Peg's Internet Options > Receiving > Password, and  did the copy-and-paste to re-entered it. Now it works. 

What led me to do this was your comment  "There isn't any question that the POP3 error indicates an incorrect username or password."

I should have done that before crying for help. 

It would have helped me if there were a way that I could see what was entered into that password field, instead of a row of unhelpful dots. Still, though, I am hugely relieved that it works, And thanks again!

Peter 

Cheers,

Peter
  •  11-23-2019, 23:11

Re: Password change

DrPeter:
    It would have helped me if there were a way that I could see what was entered into that password field, instead of a row of unhelpful dots. Still, though, I am hugely relieved that it works, And thanks again!

There are several tools to "read" what is behind dots on password fields and yet more. I have two of them permanently at hand: GetWindowText <http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/GetWindowText> or SC-PassUnleash (I can send you a copy if you wish).

Best,
    Euler

euler f german
    sete lagoas, mg, brazil
    Pegasus Mail 4.73.639 - Windows 7 Ultimate
    BearHTML 4.9.9.6 IERenderer 2.6.2.12
    Operating mode: Standalone

InsPMDic — Pmail v5 Dictionary Handler Add-on (see blog)
  •  11-26-2019, 13:53

flame:

Hi All;

Long time user here and never really had any issues until now

I have been away from my PC for 2 weeks now (holiday) .  On my return this morning I noticed an email which appeared to come from my own email address.  the body indicated that my account had been hacked and as you would expect was looking for payment

In respect to the email, it sounds like it was a blackmail scheme.

Please reference:  FYI: Email Blackmail Scam still current

--
    Dave
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page