Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Does 2GB file size limit affect non-PMail clients?

Last post 01-13-2019, 13:45 by Joerg. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-10-2019, 1:46

• Brian Fluet is not online. Last active: 05-16-2019, 15:30 Brian Fluet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 24,855

Does 2GB file size limit affect non-PMail clients?

We know about the 2GB file size limitation of folder files (.PMM files) from a Pegasus Mail standpoint but does this limit exist when access is via MercuryI by non-Pmail clients?
  •  01-10-2019, 2:56

• Rolf Lindby is not online. Last active: 2019-05-19, 12:50 Rolf Lindby
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • SuperStar
    • Points 26,070
    • BetaTeam Moderator SystemAdministrator

Re: Does 2GB file size limit affect non-PMail clients?

It applies to folders handled by Mercury as well. David commented it this way some time ago: "The largest folder that any of my programs can currently *manage* is 2GB, but because of the way they're manipulated, it's often quite possible for the file itself to continue having messages *added* to them once they exceed this limit. This is one of the things I have addressed in MailStore - legacy folders can no longer be expanded past the limit, and v5 folders using SQLite can be of any practical size and hold any practical number of messages."

•  01-10-2019, 3:28

• Brian Fluet is not online. Last active: 05-16-2019, 15:30 Brian Fluet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 24,855

Re: Does 2GB file size limit affect non-PMail clients?

Here's an interesting question.  Consider someone running Mercury with its IMAP module providing access to the mailboxes by non-PMail clients.  One of the folder files hits the 2 GB limit and can not be accessed.  A known solution is to use the Pegasus Mail Notsplit utility to generate message files from the .PMM for re-integration back into Pegasus Mail folders but what could the approach be when Pegasus Mail is not in the picture?  An obvious answer of placing the .cnm files into a mailbox directory isn't practical when there's hundreds if not thousands of them. 

•  01-13-2019, 13:45

• Joerg is not online. Last active: 05-09-2019, 16:51 Joerg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2008
    • German Baltic Sea Coast
    • Contributor
    • Points 6,980

AW: Re: Does 2GB file size limit affect non-PMail clients?

Brian Fluet:
    ... A known solution is to use the Pegasus Mail Notsplit utility to generate message files from the .PMM for re-integration back into Pegasus Mail folders but what could the approach be when Pegasus Mail is not in the picture?  An obvious answer of placing the .cnm files into a mailbox directory isn't practical when there's hundreds if not thousands of them.

I believe in that case you've got a problem. Also in case your server (where Mercury is running) or your accessing client is a 64bit system, any IMAP client wouldn't access the mailbox directly but always via the 32bit Mercury-I. And 32bit software can address max 2GB of RAM (except some special cases of 32 bit software which is able to address up to 4 GB). Don't know whether other (64bit) IMAP server are able to access Mercury/Pmail mailboxes? Maybe someone has tested it already?
    I regularly check the mailboxes of my users and carry out a search for files larger than 1 GB. If I find something, the user get a message to remove big attachments or to create a new mail folder to avoid a further increasing.

View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page