Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Pmail running slowly for deletes and moving messages

Last post 05-26-2019, 3:03 by Euler GERMAN. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-22-2019, 17:19

Pmail running slowly for deletes and moving messages

I am using Pegasus WinPMail version: Version 4.73.639, Mar 30 2018, build ID 639.

My OS is Windows 10 (Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4497934))

I have used Pmail for many years. The size of all my mail folders totals  9.55 GB (10,257,581,275 bytes).

When I try to delete some mail from a folder, it takes about 1 second per mail. When it finishes and I try to access the folder I deleted mail from, I get the Reindex Required message. When I Reindex and open the folder, I find all the deleted messages have been restored.

Any suggestions?

PaulF 

•  05-22-2019, 17:44

• Brian Fluet is not online. Last active: 07-20-2019, 3:08 Brian Fluet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 25,455

Re: Pmail running slowly for deletes and moving messages

First, make sure the folder file size is not bumping the 2GB size limit.  To find the folder filename right click on the folder name and select folder information.  

If under 2GB, try deleting some messages and then right click on the folder name and select "Recover deleted space".  Now reindex and see if all is well.

If still no joy then the file itself has become corrupted.  To resolve, create a new folder in Pegasus Mail and copy all of the messages from the bad folder to the new one.  Confirm successful copy and then delete the bad folder.  You can rename the new one to the original folder name if you wish.  If you have any filters that referenced the old folder you must edit them to point to the new folder even if you renamed it the same as the old one.

•  05-22-2019, 17:53

• irelam is not online. Last active: 07-17-2019, 0:04 irelam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-23-2007
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • SuperStar
    • Points 20,590
    • BetaTeam Moderator

I suggest you look at the sizes of your messages as well as the number of messages in a folder. There are definite limits on both of these numbers.  The one I think maybe the cause is when you delete one or more messages with large attachments. When the size of the deleted messages exceeds a limit, Pegasus Mail will automatically  do a compress or re-index. to regain the emptied space within the folder. 

See Pegasus Mail menu Tools/General settings/Advanced settings and see the "Compact Folders once....."  settings. Try setting it to zero, and restart Pegasus Mail 

Use a utility like PmailUndup to show sizes of the folders and number of messages. Also list the folder, and sort by size (descending)  to see which messages are likely causing problems. 

Worst case rebuild the folder selectively by copying messages to a new folder in ascending size order, or use Notsplit utility to extract all the messages back to individual messages and delete attachments before moving messages back to a new folder. N.B don't use the Move operation to do the message copying as it will try to delete the message in the original folder, and hence try to re-index.

HTH

Martin 

•  05-22-2019, 20:18

Thank you!  Instead of moving mail messages, I was able to selectively copy the mail messages I wanted to a new folder then delete the old folder. 

PaulF 

•  05-22-2019, 22:35

• Brian Fluet is not online. Last active: 07-20-2019, 3:08 Brian Fluet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 25,455

PaulF,

Did the new folder resolve the issue of slow deletes and moves?

•  05-26-2019, 3:03

I'm wondering if this problem could be related to the recent Microsoft Windows system patch. It is well known that the 2019-05 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2, 4.8 (KB4499406) had some issues with some A/V products (Sophos, McAfee, and others). I use Kaspersky and my laptop found itself extremely slow after this update.

It got so slow the second update package didn't download. 2019-05 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4499164)

I revert the update but it did not help. What work here was uninstalling .NET 4.7.2 (I used Soft Organizer for a complete uninstall) and then I made a fresh installation of .Net 4.7.2 necessary for Kaspersky A/V and other software. After that my laptop revert to its previous functionality. I'm waiting for a Microsoft solution for these two patches. A new solution provided a few days back did not work out.

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/14/microsoft-windows-security-updates-may-2019-overview

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/20/may-2019-updates-for-windows-7-and-server-2008-r2-dont-play-nice-with-mcafee-or-sophos-software-again

Best,
    Euler

euler f german
    sete lagoas, mg, brazil
    Pegasus Mail 4.73.639 - Windows 7 Ultimate
    BearHTML 4.9.9.6 IERenderer 2.6.1.0
    Operating mode: Standalone
    WINPMAIL.EXE directory: c:\pmail\programs
    Home mailbox location: c:\pmail\mail\german
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page