Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Crash on search

Last post 07-04-2019, 16:43 by ehasbrouck. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-25-2019, 2:05

Crash on search

Occasionally I want to search all my folders for a mis-filed message. Not often, but when I have mis-filed a message, sometimes I really need to search my entire mailbox. 

This has always been possible, although slow, unless there was a corrupted folder, in which case searches would work again after I re-indexed the problem folder. Usually the offending folder was one that had been open when pmail crashed, or was open when I shut down the system or unmounted the file system.

However, since about a month ago, Pegasus Mail crashes if I try any search across all folders. I *suspect* that there is a corrupted folder (or some other corrupted file?) that is causing the crash. But i have hundreds of folders, and i can't tell which one might be causing the crashes.

Is there any way to identify the offending folder or the other cause of these crashes? I would like to be able to search my entire mailbox again.

Filed under:
  •  06-25-2019, 2:45

• Brian Fluet is not online. Last active: 10-15-2019, 23:10 Brian Fluet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 26,425

Re: Crash on search

Pegasus Mail comes with a mailbox maintenance utility called mbxmaint_ui.exe.  It can check and repair folder consistency among other things.  I suggest using its "Check" function to identify any problem folders and then use the repair function as needed.  

You can use a wildcard to check all folders in a mailbox directory at once (e.g.  C:\PMAIL\mail\mailboxname\*.pmm).

•  07-04-2019, 7:18

Thanks, Brian, for the suggestion. I had not realized there was a wildcard option in MBXMAINT, and I have too mnay folders to check each one.

But still no joy:

Repairing folder 'Q:\pmail\mail\[username]\*.pmm'...
    #072 Could not open the specified folder master file.
    #074 Unable to proceed with rebuild operation.
    ** Errors occurred while repairing the folder.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Repairing folder 'Q:\pmail\mail\[username]\*.PMM'...
    #072 Could not open the specified folder master file.
    #074 Unable to proceed with rebuild operation.
    ** Errors occurred while repairing the folder.

Any further suggestions?

•  07-04-2019, 7:30

• idw is not online. Last active: Tue, Oct 15 2019, 17:49 idw
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,270
    • BetaTeam

ehasbrouck:

Thanks, Brian, for the suggestion. I had not realized there was a wildcard option in MBXMAINT, and I have too mnay folders to check each one.

But still no joy:

Narrow down the search: Create a new disk folder containing only copies of PMM and PMI files ten by ten or whatever looks reasonable to you, then use MBXMAINT, then narrow down further and so on until you find the right one. Finally go back to the original to do the job on it.

Michael

--
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
  •  07-04-2019, 16:43

Thanks! That strategy of repairing groups of folders worked, eventually. Several folers needed repair. I think the cause of the problem *may* have been shutting down the system or dismounting the file system with the pmail files while pmail was open, but I'm still not sure. MBXMAINT also reported and fixed "non-unique IDs". After reparing all the folders, pmail takes less time to start, and searches complete successfully.
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page