Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

IER update

Last post 11-07-2019, 11:52 by idw. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (22 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-17-2019, 16:47

• idw is not online. Last active: Thu, Nov 14 2019, 7:22 idw
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,850
    • BetaTeam

IER update

Since nobody (except for Martin Ireland) appears to have read (or at least told so) my final reply to the IER and Viewer.pm thread I'm now opening an new thread here announcing my latest IER update solving at least the image display issue some people encountered with recent releases to get at least some more feedback, I hope - or should I say I'm afraid?

I can now at least tell that IER's image display issue has been solved after detecting a Windows "feature" I didn't ever expect to exist at all in combination with IE's special handling of long filenames with blank spaces that exclusively affects only MS browsers as far as I can tell. Whether the browser submenu issue has finally been fixed (some users just don't seeing it at all) I still can't tell for sure since the final tests still have to be done, but I have been redesigning its handling completely. If your'e interested in more details please take a look at IER's version history, I'll just provide a link to the ominious Windows feature here which even most people who encountered the image display issue very likely don't know having been struck by. Here's the download link, BTW ...

PS: Disabling 8.3 filenames on some systems (by sys-admins?) and using percent encoding (by me) for blanks in long filenames caused IE & IER to fail in loading images properly, to make a long story short ...

Michael

--
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
  •  10-18-2019, 2:40

• Brian Fluet is not online. Last active: 11-14-2019, 19:51 Brian Fluet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 27,165

Re: IER update

MIchael, I saw your post and apologize for not acknowledging and expressing appreciation for your efforts.  I know that's not what you're after but it's genuine so should be expressed. Thank you!

As for IER, I don't use email in a way that I would notice its benefits or shortcomings.  I had a brief intense interest in it when configuration options and VIEWER.PM utilization were added but that was my intellectual curiosity at play.

The browser submenu works for me
        So I'm as happy as can be.
        Upgrading IER you see
        Just isn't a priority.

Ok, that's embarrassing, but I'm posting it anyway.  I hope it provides a lighthearted moment for somebody.  Smile

Brian Fluet

•  10-21-2019, 9:23

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,850
    • BetaTeam

Brian Fluet:

The browser submenu works for me
        So I'm as happy as can be.
        Upgrading IER you see
        Just isn't a priority.

Ok, that's embarrassing, but I'm posting it anyway.  I hope it provides a lighthearted moment for somebody.  Smile

Thanks, Brian, it does. Since you're an "influencer" Wink I'm glad you took notice!

Michael

--
    S/MIME Certificate Fingerprint: 94 c6 b4 71 0c 62 30 88 a5 b2 77 01 74 2b 86 66 3b 7e 65 7c
  •  10-23-2019, 15:26

Michael:

Is there a Silent install parameter for IERendererSetup.exe ?

--
    Dave
  •  10-23-2019, 15:44

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,850
    • BetaTeam

David H. Lipman:
    Is there a Silent install parameter for IERendererSetup.exe ?

Yes, that's how Pegasus Mail's installer uses it, why do you ask? It requires a couple of additional commandline parameters.

Michael

--
  •  10-23-2019, 17:05

I scripted a process so I was looking if I would extend it.

shell 'wget -N "https://idw-doc.homepage.t-online.de/PMUtils/IERenderer.zip" --no-check-certificate'
        run   'unzip  -j -o IERenderer.zip'

--
    Dave
  •  10-23-2019, 17:15

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,850
    • BetaTeam

David H. Lipman:
    I scripted a process so I was looking if I would extend it.

OK, the commandline is <IERendererSetup /SP- /VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES "[PMBaseDir]">, where [PMBaseDir] is the directory which WINPM-32.EXE is located in, e.g. "X:\PMAIL\Programs\".

Michael

--
  •  10-23-2019, 17:29

Danke Michael.

--
    Dave
  •  10-25-2019, 1:31

FYI

Function Get_IERenderer()
        cls
        GoThere("E:\STUFF\PMail")
        $T1=GetFileTime("IERenderer.zip")
        shell 'wget -N "https://idw-doc.homepage.t-online.de/PMUtils/IERenderer.zip" --no-check-certificate'
        $T2=GetFileTime("IERenderer.zip")
        if ($T1 <> $T2)=1
            EndProc("WINPM-32.EXE")
            del "C:\PMAIL\IN\MAILBOXP.LCK"
            shell 'unzip -j -o IERenderer.zip'
            shell 'IERendererSetup.exe /SP- /VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES C:\PMAIL '
            sleep 5
            run $cmd+" start /MIN C:\PMAIL\winpm-32.exe "
        endif
    EndFunction

--
    Dave
  •  10-27-2019, 17:08

• Joerg is not online. Last active: 11-13-2019, 21:36 Joerg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2008
    • German Baltic Sea Coast
    • Contributor
    • Points 7,850

AW: Re: IER update

Moin Michael,

Now I've updated our network Pmail installation with IER 2.6.2.12. Setup from a client machine to the server run properly without errors and also Pmail is showing all html mails as it should. Will further observe and report any weird behaviour. Thanks for your effort.

Gruss aus Rostock

•  10-27-2019, 20:30

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 27,165

Re: AW: Re: IER update

Joerg,

I'm curious how you handled the VIEWER.PM file.  My understanding is that the current IER will update the VIEWER.PM file located in the mailbox directory of the user from which it was installed when the one in the Pegasus Mail\Programs directory isn't accessible.  I'm assume your server installed Pegasus Mail\Programs is secured from users just like mine is so did you copy the resulting VIEWER.PM file to the \Programs directory or did you place a copy in each mailbox directory?

•  10-28-2019, 9:10

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2008
    • Contributor
    • Points 7,850

AW: Re: AW: Re: IER update

Hi Brian,

The last time I updated the IER (v2.6.2.2) I described my problems with the viewer.pm here: http://community.pmail.com/forums/post/51071.aspx.

Nevertheless my update procedure was the same this time, of course after making a backup copy of the entire Pmail directory. But this time (v2.6.2.12 - how frequent Michael is updating his program? Big Smile) we don't experience any crashes etc., at least nobody of my users have claimed anything this Monday morning - keeping fingers crossed.

I don't take care of the central viewer.pm, which resides in pmail\programs. It seems this file will be updated by single Pmail instances during day by day work. The last change date is of this morning, after users did start their work.

I don't restrict the access to Pmail\programs. All "Authenticated Domain Users" have "change" permissions. Due to security reasons this is not the best way, but since I was not able to solve the problem with our central address book (http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/50998.aspx) I kept the permissions as they are.

Additional viewer.pm files reside in each user mailbox folder. My own viewer.pm looks like this:

1;.dat;-;W:\Apps\Fentun\fentun.exe
    1;.vcs;-;\\marsrv4\pmail$\programs\pmical.exe
    1;.ics;-;\\marsrv4\pmail$\programs\pmical.exe
    1;.pdf;-;C:\Program Files\Nitro\Pro 11\NitroPDF.exe

and has not been updated for a long time.

In general I don't like to deal with viewer.pm again on each IER update. And I don't understand the functionality completely. I only install the IER update and check whether Pmail is able to open html mails without crashing. Wink

•  10-29-2019, 9:09

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2008
    • Contributor
    • Points 7,850

AW: Re: AW: Re: IER update

Hi Brian,

The last time I updated the IER (v2.6.2.2) I described my problems with the viewer.pm here: http://community.pmail.com/forums/post/51071.aspx.

Nevertheless my update procedure was the same this time, of course after making a backup copy of the entire Pmail directory. But this time (v2.6.2.12 - how frequent Michael is updating his program? Big Smile) we don't experience any crashes etc., at least nobody of my users have claimed anything this Monday morning - keeping fingers crossed.

I don't take care of the central viewer.pm, which resides in pmail\programs. It seems this file will be updated by single Pmail instances during day by day work. The last change date is of this morning, after users did start their work.

I don't restrict the access to Pmail\programs. All "Authenticated Domain Users" have "change" permissions. Due to security reasons this is not the best way, but since I was not able to solve the problem with our central address book (http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/50998.aspx) I kept the permissions as they are.

Additional viewer.pm files reside in each user mailbox folder. My own viewer.pm looks like this:

1;.dat;-;W:\Apps\Fentun\fentun.exe
    1;.vcs;-;\\marsrv4\pmail$\programs\pmical.exe
    1;.ics;-;\\marsrv4\pmail$\programs\pmical.exe
    1;.pdf;-;C:\Program Files\Nitro\Pro 11\NitroPDF.exe

and has not been updated for a long time.

In general I don't like to deal with viewer.pm again on each IER update. And I don't understand the functionality completely. I only install the IER update and check whether Pmail is able to open html mails without crashing. Wink Then I forget it.
  •  10-29-2019, 9:57

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-25-2007
    • Germany
    • SuperStar
    • Points 47,850
    • BetaTeam

Brian Fluet:
    I'm curious how you handled the VIEWER.PM file.  My understanding is that the current IER will update the VIEWER.PM file located in the mailbox directory of the user from which it was installed when the one in the Pegasus Mail\Programs directory isn't accessible.  I'm assume your server installed Pegasus Mail\Programs is secured from users just like mine is so did you copy the resulting VIEWER.PM file to the \Programs directory or did you place a copy in each mailbox directory?

Just for avoiding any confusion about this: The IER setup doesn't modify any VIEWER.PM file at all. IER itself attempts to modify the one in Pegasus Mail's ... \programs\... directory first and doesn't do anything else if succeeding. If it fails it modifies the one in the mailbox of the user who just started his Pegasus Mail instance. This is not connected to the installation in any kind, just to the user instance start-up and will be repeated anytime another user launches his account.

Since I finally detected the real reason behind the image display failure issue I could have dropped all this, but IMO it could very well become a future security issue once again (due to some major company's wisdom Wink) to only allow loading of images using their proper filename extensions. And the purpose of adding media file types and mime types to VIEWER.PM is to force Pegasus Mail to pass on embedded media files with their proper filename extensions attached when extracting those files from messages for IER and BearHtml.

And with reagard to the crash Joerg encountered: I was able to duplicate it during my tests for modifying the implementation of all this so I could fix it - but I don't remember the details anymore.

BTW: Does anyone of you know anyone who encountered the missing browser context menu issue? I'm still waiting for someone to confirm or deny its further existance after putting lots of efforts into trying to fix it without being able to ever duplicate it ...

Michael

--
  •  10-29-2019, 12:36

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • North Carolina, USA
    • SuperStar
    • Points 27,165

I had forgotten that VIEWER.PM updated on start of Pegasus Mail after doing the IER update.  Embarrassed

Page 1 of 2 (22 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page