Pegasus Mail & Mercury

Welcome to the Community for Pegasus Mail and
The Mercury Mail Transport System, the Internet's longest-serving PC e-mail system!
Welcome to Pegasus Mail & Mercury Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Downloads Pegasus Mail Overview Mercury Overview Wiki

Can't send certain messages from Pegasus. Due to ISP increased security measure?

Last post 02-25-2020, 16:39 by PaulW. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-20-2020, 19:10

• Cat009 is not online. Last active: 09 Mar 2020, 21:53 Cat009
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-22-2011
    • England
    • Points 470

Can't send certain messages from Pegasus. Due to ISP increased security measure?

I've been happily using Pegasus Mail since 1991, safely moving all my email folders from computer to computer over the course of 30 years.  I would hate to have to stop using Pegasus!

But suddenly I can no longer send certain kinds of messages despite using the same ISP and internet settings inside Pegasus which I have been using for the last five years, and my ISP has not altered its main settings.

Maybe the writing was on the wall when about a month ago my ISP sent me a message saying they would be updating their security for logging in, authentication, SSL, or something like that, warning that out-of-date email clients may need to be upgraded.  I looked to see if there was an update for "Pegasus Mail" but there hasn't been.  I checked my ISP's supported email clients and email apps and "Pegasus Mail" is not among them.  So I am guessing that there is something about certain emails sent from Pegasus which the new security arrangements do not like.

I am having no problem sending fresh messages, i.e. I write a fresh email, even include a CC address and a BCC address.  It goes.

I am having no problem replying to somebody else's fresh email to me.

But I have not been able to send an email addressed to three Pegasus Mail distribution lists, for example to addresses like "LIST1273.PML"  I receive a message saying "SMTP Network or Protocol Error sending email".  My only option to get that urgent message out to the people on the three lists was to write a fresh email within the ISP's website.

And I have not been able to reply to an email that has been replied to three or four times by myself and a correspondent.  In this case I receive a message referring to "pipe-lining".  Again, my only option to get that message out was to copy the text out of the rejected email and create a new email within the ISP's website.

I have done a bit of hunting on Google and found that some ISPs offer a settings button named "Allow less secure apps", but my ISP doesn't provide this option.

I'd hate to lose use of Pegasus Mail.  Any ideas, please?

Thanks.

Cat009.

A Pegasus-user since 1991, when I found a Kiwi techie had installed it on the computers at an Internet cafe in Waterstones university bookshop in Bloomsbury, London. Loved it, installed it on my own computer, and have been using it ever since.
  •  02-20-2020, 19:59

Re: Can't send certain messages from Pegasus. Due to ISP increased security measure?

Firstly, it would help a lot if you could provide a log of this session. It will show exactly what is happening between Pegasus Mail and your mail server. More below.

The pipe-lining command is an extension of SMTP. It reduces the time it takes to send multiple messages. A sending server would use pipe-lining to send all the messages it has to a receiver in one go. This command is not available for mail servers that do not support Enhanced SMTP.

Example of SMTP transaction without SMTP pipe-lining

Server: 220 mail.authsmtp.com
    Client: ehlo smtpclient.your-domain-name.com
    Server: 250-mail.authsmtp.com
    ….
    Client: MAIL FROM:
    Server: 250 2.1.0 Ok
    Client: RCPT TO:
    Server: 250 2.1.5 Ok
    Client: DATA
    ….
    Client: .
    Client: QUIT
    Server: 221 Bye

Example of SMTP transaction with SMTP pipe-lining

Server: 220 mail.authsmtp.com
    Client: ehlo smtpclient.your-domain-name.com
    Server: 250-mail.authsmtp.com
    Server: 250-PIPELINING ….
    Client: MAIL FROM:
    Server: 250 2.1.0 Sender Ok
    Server: 250 2.1.5 Recipient Ok
    Client: DATA
    ….
    Client: .
    Client: QUIT
    Server: 221 Bye

It sounds clearly to me that your server changed the way it is handling messages. Again, a session log will shed lights on its behavior. Take care to remove or obfuscate login and password before posting it here.

Best,

euler f german
    sete lagoas, mg, brazil
    Pegasus Mail 4.73.639 Standalone - Windows 7 Ultimate
    BearHTML 4.9.9.6 IERenderer 2.6.3.4
    Binaries: C:\PMAIL\Programs
    Mailboxes: C:\PMAIL\MAIL

InsPMDic — Dictionary Handler Add-on (link on profile)
  •  02-20-2020, 21:42

• Cat009 is not online. Last active: 09 Mar 2020, 21:53 Cat009
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-22-2011
    • England
    • Points 470

Re: Can't send certain messages from Pegasus. Due to ISP increased security measure?

Thank you, Euler! 

I have just tried to reproduce the fault by sending the same email with which I encountered the problem, but by sending it to myself with a copy to another email address of my own.  "Unfortunately" it went off without any problem.  So this makes me wonder if the problem lies beyond my own server, that possibly the ISP of the person I was writing to objected to something about the incoming email.

Anyway if or when I have the same problem again I will quickly copy Pegasus's error message and paste it here.

Regards,

Cat.

A Pegasus-user since 1991, when I found a Kiwi techie had installed it on the computers at an Internet cafe in Waterstones university bookshop in Bloomsbury, London. Loved it, installed it on my own computer, and have been using it ever since.
  •  02-25-2020, 16:39

• PaulW is not online. Last active: 07 Apr 2020, 10:49 PaulW
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • UK
    • SuperStar
    • Points 18,480

Cat009:

Superb! 

View as RSS news feed in XML

Contact | Advertise | Host provider: PraktIT | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Copyright © 2007-2011 David Harris / Peter Strömblad. | Pegasus Mail Home Page