Community Discussions and Support
Hacked ?? Password change

[quote user="flame"]

Hi All;

Long time user here and never really had any issues until now

I have been away from my PC for 2 weeks now (holiday) .  On my return this morning I noticed an email which appeared to come from my own email address.  the body indicated that my account had been hacked and as you would expect was looking for payment

[/quote]

In respect to the email, it sounds like it was a blackmail scheme.

Please reference:  FYI: Email Blackmail Scam still current

[quote user="flame"]<p>Hi All;</p><p> Long time user here and never really had any issues until now </p><p> I have been away from my PC for 2 weeks now (holiday) .  On my return this morning I noticed an email which appeared to come from my own email address.  the body indicated that my account had been hacked and as you would expect was looking for payment</p><p> [/quote]</p><p> </p><p>In respect to the email, it sounds like it was a blackmail scheme. </p><p>Please reference:  [url=https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/243114-fyi-email-blackmail-scam-still-current/?do=findComment&comment=1301256]FYI: Email Blackmail Scam still current[/url] </p>

Hi All;

Long time user here and never really had any issues until now

I have been away from my PC for 2 weeks now (holiday) .  On my return this morning I noticed an email which appeared to come from my own email address.  the body indicated that my account had been hacked and as you would expect was looking for payment

I changed my password in "Tools" - "interner options"-" Receiving (pop3)"   However, when I go to download mail, I get an error message saying 

12:26:19.913: Connect to 'mail.XXXXXX.ie', timeout 15 seconds.
12:26:24.490: >> +OK <44569.1540553179@pop.XXXXXX>
12:26:24.490: << USER XXXXXXXX
12:26:24.504: >> +OK
<< 0024 PASS XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
12:26:24.524: >> -ERR authorization failed

Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated

&lt;p&gt;Hi All;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Long time user here and never really had any issues until now &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;I have been away from my PC for 2 weeks now (holiday) .&amp;nbsp; On my return this morning I noticed an email which appeared to come from my own email address.&amp;nbsp; the body indicated that my account had been hacked and as you would expect was looking for payment&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I changed my password in &quot;Tools&quot; - &quot;interner options&quot;-&quot; Receiving (pop3)&quot;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; However, when I go to download mail, I get an error message saying&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;12:26:19.913: Connect to &#039;mail.XXXXXX.ie&#039;, timeout 15 seconds. 12:26:24.490: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; +OK &amp;lt;44569.1540553179@pop.XXXXXX&amp;gt; 12:26:24.490: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; USER XXXXXXXX 12:26:24.504: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; +OK &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 0024 PASS XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 12:26:24.524: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; -ERR authorization failed&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

The "authorization failed" error indicates an incorrect username or password.  If the host server has webmail access see if you can login using the logged credentials.

&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;The &quot;authorization failed&quot; error indicates an incorrect username or password.&amp;nbsp; If the host server has webmail access see if you can login using the logged credentials.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt;

Brian;

I will give it a try

Do you know how teh change password works, When I change it as per the method above, should it recognise the new password immediately

Many thanks

&lt;p&gt;Brian;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; I will give it a try &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Do you know how teh change password works, When I change it as per the method above, should it recognise the new password immediately&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Many thanks &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

The process requires two steps...

1.  Change the access password to your mail host (eg: if it were a gmail account you would login to gmail and do a password change)

2.  Modify your POP3 host configuration to use the new password.

&lt;p&gt;The process requires two steps...&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;1.&amp;nbsp; Change the access password to your mail host (eg: if it were a gmail account you would login to gmail and do a password change) &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;2.&amp;nbsp; Modify your POP3 host configuration to use the new password.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt;

Hi Brian

I am going direct from PMail to the web and not through Gmail etc, I changed the POP3 password as per my original post but I am unable to get access with the new password, however .. when I enter the old password, I can get in 

It feels like I may have missed one step in changing the password, but am not sure if this is correct or not

I used this short video to learn how to change the password

https://fastdot.com/resources/change-your-email-password-in-pegasus-mail/

Many thanks 

&lt;p&gt;Hi Brian&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I am going direct from PMail to the web and not through Gmail etc, I changed the POP3 password as per my original post but I am unable to get access with the new password, however .. when I enter the old password, I can get in&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;It feels like I may have missed one step in changing the password, but am not sure if this is correct or not &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I used this short video to learn how to change the password&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;https://fastdot.com/resources/change-your-email-password-in-pegasus-mail/&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Many thanks&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="flame"]I am going direct from PMail to the web and not through Gmail etc, I changed the POP3 password as per my original post but I am unable to get access with the new password, however .. when I enter the old password, I can get in [/quote]

Of course you can since you didn't change the password on your email provider's site. Pegasus Mail only uses the password to log in to your account, it cannot change it on your provider's site where your email account is hosted. No matter which one, you need to change your password there and can only log in with Pegasus Mail using the same new password afterwards. Your provider should have a web page for working with your account without using Pegasus Mail, there you should be able to change your password in the first place.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;flame&quot;]I am going direct from PMail to the web and not through Gmail etc, I changed the POP3 password as per my original post but I am unable to get access with the new password, however .. when I enter the old password, I can get in [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Of course you can since you didn&#039;t change the password on your email provider&#039;s site. Pegasus Mail only &lt;i&gt;uses&lt;/i&gt; the password to log in to your account, &lt;i&gt;it cannot change&lt;/i&gt; it on your provider&#039;s site where your email account is hosted. No matter which one, you need to change your password there and can only log in with Pegasus Mail using the same new password &lt;i&gt;afterwards&lt;/i&gt;. Your provider should have a web page for working with your account without using Pegasus Mail, there you should be able to change your password in the first place. &lt;/p&gt;
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

[quote user="flame"]I noticed an email which appeared to come from my own email address.[/quote]This is how emails work - anyone can send a mail with any "From" address in the message.It does not anyhow relate to from where the email really came from. So if your address is known, anyone can post messages with your address as the sender's address. It is quite popular by spammers and definitely does not imply your system penetration.

[quote user="flame"]the body indicated that my account had been hacked and as you would expect was looking for payment[/quote]Yes, this is currently popular type of spam.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;flame&quot;]I noticed an email which appeared to come from my own email address.[/quote]This is how emails work - anyone can send a mail with any &quot;From&quot; address in the message.It does not anyhow relate to from where the email really came from. So if your address is known, anyone can post messages with your address as the sender&#039;s address. It is quite popular by spammers and definitely does not imply your system penetration. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;flame&quot;]the body indicated that my account had been hacked and as you would expect was looking for payment[/quote]Yes, this is currently popular type of spam. &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]

1.  Change the access password to your mail host (eg: if it were a gmail account you would login to gmail and do a password change)

[/quote]

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]

[/quote]

Hi:

I have had to change the password in my email server account, since I received a message that I have been "pwned."  The server is the email service from my ISP.  The password there has been changed, and I can logon to that account by with my browser, via webmail. So the username and password are correct.

I then went into Pegasus (latest version) and made the password change : Tools > Internet Mail Options > Receiving (POP3) > Edit > Password.  I made no other change to any other option.

In Pegasus,  created a test message, and was able to successfully send it  (to a gmail account -- it arrived successfully)

I then tried to download messages from my ISP account.  I get the following error message:

Description of error:  The host claims that either the username or password you have supplied is invalid.

5:03:11.122: --- 23 Nov 2019, 15:03:11.122 ---

15:03:11.122: Connect to 'pop.videotron.ca', timeout 15 seconds.

15:03:12.136: >> +OK Messaging Multiplexor (Oracle Communications Messaging Server 8.0.2.4.20190812 64bit (built Aug 12 2019))

15:03:12.136: << USER pdr

15:03:12.136: >> +OK password required for user pdr

<< 0023 PASS XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

15:03:18.205: >> -ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed

Until I made the password change, all was working correctly. Could it be because Pegasus has a limited number of characters that it will accept in the password field?  If so, why can it send, but not download messages?

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Peter 

[quote user=&quot;Brian Fluet&quot;]&lt;p&gt;The process requires two steps...&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;1.&amp;nbsp; Change the access password to your mail host (eg: if it were a gmail account you would login to gmail and do a password change) &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;2.&amp;nbsp; Modify your POP3 host configuration to use the new password.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;[quote user=&quot;Brian Fluet&quot;]&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;The process requires two steps...&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;1.&amp;nbsp; Change the access password to your mail host (eg: if it were a gmail account you would login to gmail and do a password change)&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;2.&amp;nbsp; Modify your POP3 host configuration to use the new password.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;[/quote]&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;Hi:&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;I have had to change the password in my email server account, since I received a message that I have been &quot;pwned.&quot;&amp;nbsp; The server is the email service from my ISP.&amp;nbsp; The password there has been changed, and I can logon to that account by with my browser, via webmail. So the username and password are correct.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I then went into Pegasus (latest version) and made the password change : Tools &amp;gt; Internet Mail Options &amp;gt; Receiving (POP3) &amp;gt; Edit &amp;gt; Password.&amp;nbsp; I made no other change to any other option.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;In Pegasus,&amp;nbsp; created a test message, and was able to successfully send it&amp;nbsp; (to a gmail account -- it arrived successfully)&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I then tried to download messages from my ISP account.&amp;nbsp; I get the following error message:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Description of error:&amp;nbsp; The host claims that either the username or password you have supplied is invalid.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;5:03:11.122: --- 23 Nov 2019, 15:03:11.122 ---&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;15:03:11.122: Connect to &#039;pop.videotron.ca&#039;, timeout 15 seconds.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;15:03:12.136: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; +OK Messaging Multiplexor (Oracle Communications Messaging Server 8.0.2.4.20190812 64bit (built Aug 12 2019))&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;15:03:12.136: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; USER pdr&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;15:03:12.136: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; +OK password required for user pdr&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt; 0023 PASS XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;15:03:18.205: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; -ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Until I made the password change, all was working correctly. Could it be because Pegasus has a limited number of characters that it will accept in the password field?&amp;nbsp; If so, why can it send, but not download messages?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Any suggestions would be welcome!&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Peter&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333px;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="DrPeter"]Until I made the password change, all was working correctly. Could it be because Pegasus has a limited number of characters that it will accept in the password field?  If so, why can it send, but not download messages?

Any suggestions would be welcome![/quote]

Your sending should not have worked if you didn't also change the password in your Pegasus Mail SMTP host configuration, unless you aren't sending via your ISP's SMTP.  Figuring out why it worked might provide a clue into the POP3 problem.

There isn't any question that the POP3 error indicates an incorrect user name or password. 

In situations where settings look fine but connections still fail my appoach is to disable the existing host and create a new one using the current settings provided by the service provider.  Also check whether your ISP requires 2-factor authentication.  If so you'll need to figure out the workaround (perhaps a configuration option that allows less secure apps like in Gmail, or perhaps an App Password).

[quote user=&quot;DrPeter&quot;]Until I made the password change, all was working correctly. Could it be because Pegasus has a limited number of characters that it will accept in the password field?&amp;nbsp; If so, why can it send, but not download messages?&lt;p&gt;Any suggestions would be welcome![/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Your sending should not have worked if you didn&#039;t also change the password in your Pegasus Mail SMTP host configuration, unless you aren&#039;t sending via your ISP&#039;s SMTP.&amp;nbsp; Figuring out why it worked might provide a clue into the POP3 problem. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;There isn&#039;t any question that the POP3 error indicates an incorrect user name or password.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;In situations where settings look fine but connections still fail my appoach is to disable the existing host and create a new one using the current settings provided by the service provider.&amp;nbsp; Also check whether your ISP requires 2-factor authentication.&amp;nbsp; If so you&#039;ll need to figure out the workaround (perhaps a configuration option that allows less secure apps like in Gmail, or perhaps an App Password). &lt;/p&gt;

Hi Brian:

Thank you for the reply.  I rechecked everything, and reentered  the new password that I had put in.  To be sure that it was the correct one, I put it into Notepad, then did a copy and paste in the web-mail section of the ISP. When I was sure that it worked there, I went back into Peg's Internet Options > Receiving > Password, and  did the copy-and-paste to re-entered it. Now it works. 

What led me to do this was your comment  "There isn't any question that the POP3 error indicates an incorrect username or password."

I should have done that before crying for help. 

It would have helped me if there were a way that I could see what was entered into that password field, instead of a row of unhelpful dots. Still, though, I am hugely relieved that it works, And thanks again!

Peter 

&lt;p&gt;Hi Brian:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thank you for the reply.&amp;nbsp; I rechecked everything, and reentered&amp;nbsp; the new password that I had put in.&amp;nbsp; To be sure that it was the correct one, I put it into Notepad, then did a copy and paste in the web-mail section of the ISP. When I was sure that it worked there, I went back into Peg&#039;s Internet Options &amp;gt; Receiving &amp;gt; Password, and&amp;nbsp; did the copy-and-paste to re-entered it. Now it works.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;What led me to do this was your comment&amp;nbsp; &quot;There isn&#039;t any question that the POP3 error indicates an incorrect username or password.&quot;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I should have done that before crying for help.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;It would have helped me if there were a way that I could see what was entered into that password field, instead of a row of unhelpful dots. Still, though, I am hugely relieved that it works, And thanks again!&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Peter&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="DrPeter"]It would have helped me if there were a way that I could see what was entered into that password field, instead of a row of unhelpful dots. Still, though, I am hugely relieved that it works, And thanks again![/quote]

There are several tools to "read" what is behind dots on password fields and yet more. I have two of them permanently at hand: GetWindowText <http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/GetWindowText> or SC-PassUnleash (I can send you a copy if you wish).

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;DrPeter&quot;]It would have helped me if there were a way that I could see what was entered into that password field, instead of a row of unhelpful dots. Still, though, I am hugely relieved that it works, And thanks again![/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;There are several tools to &quot;read&quot; what is behind dots on password fields and yet more. I have two of them permanently at hand: GetWindowText &amp;lt;http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/GetWindowText&amp;gt; or SC-PassUnleash (I can send you a copy if you wish). &lt;/p&gt;

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft