Community Discussions and Support
AW: "From:" / "To:" entries in copy-to-self folder

[quote user="Brian Fluet"][quote user="Joerg"] But what about your streetworkers using their iPhones to connect to Mercury via IMAP? They should use also alternative mail clients other than Pmail, isn't it? [/quote]

None of them have complained but they're rarely in the office using Pegasus Mail.  You have me curious though.  I'll check it out.[/quote]

Joerg,

I had the opportunity to talk about this issue with on of my guys this morning.  He acknowledged the problem you describe but just lives with it.  FWIW, iDevices don't copyself, they BCC yourself by default (can be turned off).  That's mute though because the end result is the same in the Pegasus Mail folder lists.  The extra step of moving the BCC copy from new mail to a folder is a PITA I wasn't aware of.

[quote user="Brian Fluet"][quote user="Joerg"] But what about your streetworkers using their iPhones to connect to Mercury via IMAP? They should use also alternative mail clients other than Pmail, isn't it? [/quote]<p>None of them have complained but they're rarely in the office using Pegasus Mail.  You have me curious though.  I'll check it out.[/quote]</p><p>Joerg,</p><p>I had the opportunity to talk about this issue with on of my guys this morning.  He acknowledged the problem you describe but just lives with it.  FWIW, iDevices don't copyself, they BCC yourself by default (can be turned off).  That's mute though because the end result is the same in the Pegasus Mail folder lists.  The extra step of moving the BCC copy from new mail to a folder is a PITA I wasn't aware of. </p>

Happy New Year 2019

Following new little problem here with us: When using Pmail's copy-to-self function, where all outgoing mails will be copied to another folder, the folder window is showing the "To:" content of each mail within the "From:" column of this copy-to-self folder. This is fine so far since I know that it was me, who has sent the mail and I'm more interested in the recipient.

But often we are using alternative programs like Thunderbird or Roundcube which are accessing the local user accounts via Mercury by IMAP. Within these "alternative" programs we have also subscribed Pmail's copy-to-self-folder as folder where outgoing mails have to be automatically copied to. It's working. So far so good.

But when subsequently opening Pmail, the copy-to-self folder is showing the "From:" content (for mails sent by the alternative programs) instead of the "To:" content within the "From:" column of the copy-to-delf folder.

It seems to me that only Pmail is replacing the "From:" entry with the "To:" entry when copying mails to the copy-to-self folder, isn't it?

<p>Happy New Year 2019</p><p> </p><p>Following new little problem here with us: When using Pmail's copy-to-self function, where all outgoing mails will be copied to another folder, the folder window is showing the "To:" content of each mail within the "From:" column of this copy-to-self folder. This is fine so far since I know that it was me, who has sent the mail and I'm more interested in the recipient.</p><p>But often we are using alternative programs like Thunderbird or Roundcube which are accessing the local user accounts via Mercury by IMAP. Within these "alternative" programs we have also subscribed Pmail's copy-to-self-folder as folder where outgoing mails have to be automatically copied to. It's working. So far so good.</p><p>But when subsequently opening Pmail, the copy-to-self folder is showing the "From:" content (for mails sent by the alternative programs) instead of the "To:" content within the "From:" column of the copy-to-delf folder.</p><p>It seems to me that only Pmail is replacing the "From:" entry with the "To:" entry when copying mails to the copy-to-self folder, isn't it? </p>

Happy New Year Joerg!

I can see how the From/To on copies to self could be a problem.  Pegasus Mail message list windows don't have a To: column so putting the To: content in the From column makes sense.  Whatever internal mechanism exists that identifies messages as copies to self is obviously missing from the other clients.  This is also a problem for anyone using multiple identities but a single copyself folder.  The only way to tell what identity sent a message is by looking in its raw view.

The question becomes whether all folder windows need From & To columns since copyself copies can be saved in any folder.  Too much, IMHO, but I'm not having to deal with Thunderbird and Roundcube. :-)

<p>Happy New Year Joerg!</p><p>I can see how the From/To on copies to self could be a problem.  Pegasus Mail message list windows don't have a To: column so putting the To: content in the From column makes sense.  Whatever internal mechanism exists that identifies messages as copies to self is obviously missing from the other clients.  This is also a problem for anyone using multiple identities but a single copyself folder.  The only way to tell what identity sent a message is by looking in its raw view. </p><p>The question becomes whether all folder windows need From & To columns since copyself copies can be saved in any folder.  Too much, IMHO, but I'm not having to deal with Thunderbird and Roundcube. :-) </p>

[quote user="Brian Fluet"] Too much, IMHO, but I'm not having to deal with Thunderbird and Roundcube. :-)[/quote]

But what about your streetworkers using their iPhones to connect to Mercury via IMAP? They should use also alternative mail clients other than Pmail, isn't it?

I found only the opportunity to subsequently change the message properties (right click on such message) within Pmail. When activating the checkbox "is a copy-to-self" Pmail is adding a "To:" in front of the sender's address within column "From" but don't change the sender (myself) into the recipient's address [:(]

I miss an opportunity to make some prearrangements for single folders like a definition of columns. In other mail clients I could choose which columns are being presented (To:, From:, Subject:, etc).

<p>[quote user="Brian Fluet"] Too much, IMHO, but I'm not having to deal with Thunderbird and Roundcube. :-)[/quote]</p><p>But what about your streetworkers using their iPhones to connect to Mercury via IMAP? They should use also alternative mail clients other than Pmail, isn't it? </p><p> </p><p>I found only the opportunity to subsequently change the message properties (right click on such message) within Pmail. When activating the checkbox "is a copy-to-self" Pmail is adding a "To:" in front of the sender's address within column "From" but don't change the sender (myself) into the recipient's address [:(]</p><p>I miss an opportunity to make some prearrangements for single folders like a definition of columns. In other mail clients I could choose which columns are being presented (To:, From:, Subject:, etc). </p>

[quote user="Joerg"] But what about your streetworkers using their iPhones to connect to Mercury via IMAP? They should use also alternative mail clients other than Pmail, isn't it? [/quote]

None of them have complained but they're rarely in the office using Pegasus Mail.  You have me curious though.  I'll check it out.

[quote user="Joerg"]I miss an opportunity to make some prearrangements for single folders like a definition of columns. In other mail clients I could choose which columns are being presented (To:, From:, Subject:, etc).[/quote]

Yes, that would be a nice feature.

[quote user="Joerg"] But what about your streetworkers using their iPhones to connect to Mercury via IMAP? They should use also alternative mail clients other than Pmail, isn't it? [/quote]<p>None of them have complained but they're rarely in the office using Pegasus Mail.  You have me curious though.  I'll check it out. </p><p>[quote user="Joerg"]I miss an opportunity to make some prearrangements for single folders like a definition of columns. In other mail clients I could choose which columns are being presented (To:, From:, Subject:, etc).[/quote]</p><p>Yes, that would be a nice feature. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft