Community Discussions and Support
get list of message headers

I was looking into PHC and PMC file contents and I'm guessing here if David H. himself knows or remembers its format. It is clear to me that most of that is IMAP format, a protocol we all know is poorly documented. I'd wouldn't mess with that. This is a 14-year old code as stated by the copyright inside PMC.

I was looking into PHC and PMC file contents and I'm guessing here if David H. himself knows or remembers its format. It is clear to me that most of that is IMAP format, a protocol we all know is poorly documented. I'd wouldn't mess with that. This is a 14-year old code as stated by the copyright inside PMC.

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

Been using Pegasus for at least 15 years and really like it.

Quick question -- I have a lot of email in a folder and would love to get a text readable version of the message headers. I want what I see when I open that folder, but screen-shotting  it doesn't allow me to export to say Excel so I can organize, annotate, etc.etc.

Is there a way of doing this, or an add-in/tool/program that will do this?

many thanks

<p>Been using Pegasus for at least 15 years and really like it.</p><p>Quick question -- I have a lot of email in a folder and would love to get a text readable version of the message headers. I want what I see when I open that folder, but screen-shotting  it doesn't allow me to export to say Excel so I can organize, annotate, etc.etc.</p><p> Is there a way of doing this, or an add-in/tool/program that will do this?</p><p>many thanks</p><p> </p>

I don't think it is possible with Pegasus Mail own resources but it is fairly easy to extract headers using a tool like GrepWin. tools{dot}stefankueng{dot}com{slash}grepWin{dot}html

Using the tool above will permit you to get one header at a time, so it may be a problem. Maybe using an script language like AWK one can achieve a CSV output, though it can fail miserably if items like Subject is encoded instead of plain text. IOW it is not a simple task as it may appear. Why not make this a suggestion for future versions?

I don't think it is possible with Pegasus Mail own resources but it is fairly easy to extract headers using a tool like GrepWin. tools{dot}stefankueng{dot}com{slash}grepWin{dot}html Using the tool above will permit you to get one header at a time, so it may be a problem. Maybe using an script language like AWK one can achieve a CSV output, though it can fail miserably if items like Subject is encoded instead of plain text. IOW it is not a simple task as it may appear. Why not make this a suggestion for future versions?

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

Thanks for the reply.

Will make the suggestion, but it would still be good to get something that worked in the near term.

Does anyone know the format of the PHC files, so I can try to write something that parses them?

thanks

Randy

<p>Thanks for the reply.</p><p>Will make the suggestion, but it would still be good to get something that worked in the near term.</p><p>Does anyone know the format of the PHC files, so I can try to write something that parses them?</p><p> </p><p>thanks</p><p>Randy </p>

I don't understand what you are try to obtain? The majority of the SMTP message header lines are required to be simple 7-bit Ascii. The only real issue would be the Subject line which can contain Utf-8 strings to contain accented wording. In some cases the From and To lines are allowed to contain accented real names, but if you translate them you would be unable to Reply or Forward to the original sender.

Martin

<p>I don't understand what you are try to obtain? The majority of the SMTP message header lines are required to be simple 7-bit Ascii. The only real issue would be the Subject line which can contain Utf-8 strings to contain accented wording. In some cases the From and To lines are allowed to contain accented real names, but if you translate them you would be unable to Reply or Forward to the original sender.</p><p>Martin </p>

Damn, realized I was asking the wrong question. Grepping folders (the FOLxxxxx files) is indeed easy.

I want to get the listing that shows up when Pegasus first opens your INBOX (not the list you get from opening a sub folder).

As nearly as I can tell, this is the info is in the <wholelottaletters>.PHC file, ie the Pegasus Mail header cache file.

Does anyone know the format of that? The Subject part of a msg header appears in plain text, but it looks the rest of the info (From, Date, Size) are encoded somehow. Anyone know how to decode this?

thanks

Randy

&lt;p&gt;Damn, realized I was asking the wrong question. Grepping folders (the FOLxxxxx files) is indeed easy.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I want to get the listing that shows up when Pegasus first opens your INBOX (not the list you get from opening a sub folder).&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;As nearly as I can tell, this is the info is in the &amp;lt;wholelottaletters&amp;gt;.PHC file, ie the Pegasus Mail header cache file. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Does anyone know the format of that? The Subject part of a msg header appears in plain text, but it looks the rest of the info (From, Date, Size) are encoded somehow. Anyone know how to decode this? &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;thanks&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Randy &lt;/p&gt;

Sorry but I only have one PHC file and it is a one liner.  Could you give us the full filename you are looking at please?

Martin 

&lt;p&gt;Sorry but I only have one PHC file and it is a one liner.&amp;nbsp; Could you give us the full filename you are looking at please?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

IMAP header cache files (.PHC) live in IMC* subdirectories of the home mailbox directory. 

Filenames look like this: ebfd729f762f0bc1fbcf109790d98799.PHC 

&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;IMAP header cache files (.PHC) live in IMC* subdirectories of the home mailbox directory.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Filenames look like this:&amp;nbsp;ebfd729f762f0bc1fbcf109790d98799.PHC&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt;

Brian,

I assume as I don't use IMAP I don't get the equivalent POP3 message headers stored somewhere ? 

Martin 

&lt;p&gt;Brian,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp; I assume as I don&#039;t use IMAP I don&#039;t get the equivalent POP3 message headers stored somewhere ?&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="irelam"]  I assume as I don't use IMAP I don't get the equivalent POP3 message headers stored somewhere ? [/quote]

Not that I know of.  Han's Guide to Filenames and Extensions only lists the .PHC file as a header cache file. 

Two things I don't know about POP3 are...

...how the record of downloaded messages is kept so that only new messages are downloaded.

...how the selective download function works to present the list of messages. 

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;irelam&quot;]&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp; I assume as I don&#039;t use IMAP I don&#039;t get the equivalent POP3 message headers stored somewhere ?&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Not that I know of.&amp;nbsp; Han&#039;s Guide to Filenames and Extensions only lists the .PHC file as a header cache file.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;Two things I don&#039;t know about POP3 are...&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;...how the record of downloaded messages is kept so that only new messages are downloaded.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;...how the selective download function works to present the list of messages.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

I believe in answer to your question:

The server tracks messages successfully delivered, in case the TCP session gets cancelled, at which time the message status get reverted to awaiting delivery. 

The messages on the POP3 server remain there until delivered successfully by the receiving client, then await a DEL order from recipient before they delete the copy on the server(job done) 

The reason this all works is that the message on the server only gets deleted normally when the POP3 client issues a DEL order. As you are probably aware, selection from a selective download has two stages,

the first transmits the message from the server to the receiving client, then awaits a DEL. However the receiving client can ask for the message to be sent, AND a delete on server is performed.  The Pegasus Mail selective retrieval shows this quite nicely by presenting two button  to receive direction from the recipient, Retrieve and Delete

HTH

Martin 

&lt;p&gt;I believe in answer to your question:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The server tracks messages successfully delivered, in case the TCP session gets cancelled, at which time the message status get reverted to awaiting delivery.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The messages on the POP3 server remain there until delivered successfully by the receiving client, then await a DEL order from recipient before they delete the copy on the server(job done)&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;The reason this all works is that the message on the server only gets deleted normally when the POP3 client issues a DEL order. As you are probably aware, selection from a selective download has two stages,&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;the first transmits the message from the server to the receiving client, then awaits a DEL. However the receiving client can ask for the message to be sent, AND a delete on server is performed.&amp;nbsp; The Pegasus Mail selective retrieval shows this quite nicely by presenting two button&amp;nbsp; to receive direction from the recipient, Retrieve and Delete&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;HTH&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Help! My question has been hijacked!  [:O]

Recall that this was to get the format of the PHC file so I can parse  it to recover the kind of header information that appears when the INBOX is opened.

Does anyone know?

thanks

&lt;p&gt;Help! My question has been hijacked!&amp;nbsp; [:O]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Recall that this was to get the format of the PHC file so I can parse&amp;nbsp; it to recover the kind of header information that appears when the INBOX is opened.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Does anyone know?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;thanks&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft