Community Discussions and Support
Problem Retrieving From Gmail Using POP

I agree with Euler that the problem is with the username or password as indicated by the "ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted." log entry.

The log shows the username and password that are being transmitted so if they appear correct I suggest disabling your current gmail SMTP host and creating a new one to see if that solves an unseen issue.

I'm using smtp.gmail.com on port 587 with STARTTLS and the second option for SMTP Authentication (Login to the SMTP server with the following username and password).

<p>I agree with Euler that the problem is with the username or password as indicated by the "<font size="2" face="Calibri (Detail)">ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted." log entry.</font></p><p>The log shows the username and password that are being transmitted so if they appear correct I suggest disabling your current gmail SMTP host and creating a new one to see if that solves an unseen issue. </p><p>I'm using smtp.gmail.com on port 587 with STARTTLS and the second option for SMTP Authentication (Login to the SMTP server with the following username and password). </p>

IMAP works fine but it does not suit me.

I much prefer POP If I could get it working.

I have Google 2 Step Verification OFF.

I have Google Access for Less Secure Apps Turned ON.

I'm using  pop.gmail.com   PORT: 995

I'm using  My Email Address / correct password as Login Credentials.

I've Tried both Via STLS command and Via Direct SSL Connect.

I either get ..... connecting to pop.gmail.com ..... Then nothing

OR

14:42:30.158: --- 17 Oct 2019, 14:42:30.158 ---

14:42:30.158: Connect to 'pop.gmail.com', timeout 120 seconds.

14:42:31.252: [*] SSL/TLS session established

14:42:31.252: [*] ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256, TLSv1.2, Kx=ECDH, Au=RSA, Enc=AESGCM(128), Mac=AEAD

14:42:31.252: [*] Peer's certificate name is '/C=US/ST=California/L=Mountain View/O=Google LLC/CN=pop.gmail.com'.

14:42:31.330: >> +OK Gpop ready for requests from 79.171.73.144 o12mb171525363wmc

14:42:31.330: << USER  *erased*@gmail.com

14:42:31.361: >> +OK send PASS

<< 0016 PASS XXXXXXXXX

14:42:33.346: >> -ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.
&lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;4&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;IMAP works fine but it does not suit me.&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;4&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;I much prefer POP If I could get it working.&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;4&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;I have Google 2 Step Verification &lt;/font&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;4&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot; color=&quot;#C0504D&quot;&gt;OFF&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;4&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;.&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;4&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;I have Google Access for &lt;/font&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;4&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot; color=&quot;#6F3198&quot;&gt;Less Secure Apps&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;4&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt; Turned &lt;/font&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;4&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot; color=&quot;#C0504D&quot;&gt;ON&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;4&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;.&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;div&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;4&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;I&#039;m using &amp;nbsp;pop.gmail.com &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;PORT: 995&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;4&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;I&#039;m using &amp;nbsp;My Email Address / correct password as Login Credentials.&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;4&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;I&#039;ve Tried both &lt;b&gt;Via STLS command&lt;/b&gt; and &lt;b&gt;Via Direct SSL Connect.&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;4&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;I either get ..... connecting to pop.gmail.com ..... Then nothing&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;4&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;&lt;b&gt;OR&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;2&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;14:42:30.158: --- 17 Oct 2019, 14:42:30.158 ---&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;2&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;14:42:30.158: Connect to &#039;pop.gmail.com&#039;, timeout 120 seconds.&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;2&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;14:42:31.252: [*] SSL/TLS session established&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;2&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;14:42:31.252: [*] ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256, TLSv1.2, Kx=ECDH, Au=RSA, Enc=AESGCM(128), Mac=AEAD&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;2&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;14:42:31.252: [*] Peer&#039;s certificate name is &#039;/C=US/ST=California/L=Mountain View/O=Google LLC/CN=pop.gmail.com&#039;.&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;2&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;14:42:31.330: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; +OK Gpop ready for requests from 79.171.73.144 o12mb171525363wmc&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;2&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;14:42:31.330: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; USER &amp;nbsp;*erased*@gmail.com&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;2&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;14:42:31.361: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; +OK send PASS&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;2&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt; 0016 PASS XXXXXXXXX&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;2&quot; face=&quot;Calibri (Detail)&quot;&gt;14:42:33.346: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; -ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt;

Port 995 uses Direct SSL.

The problem reported above refers to a wrong password. Can you login into your account (via Web) using the same credentials? Are you using server certificate fingerprint tracking, APOP, SSLv3, etc?

&lt;p&gt;Port 995 uses Direct SSL.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The problem reported above refers to a wrong password. Can you login into your account (via Web) using the same credentials? Are you using server certificate fingerprint tracking, APOP, SSLv3, etc? &lt;/p&gt;

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

Maybe it would be worth taking a look at this (pretty old) post of David Harris himself? Since I'm not and never have been using GMail I certainly can't tell what's right or wrong myself ...

Maybe it would be worth taking a look at this (pretty old) &lt;a mce_href=&quot;/forums/thread/44795.aspx&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot; href=&quot;/forums/thread/44795.aspx&quot;&gt;post of David Harris&lt;/a&gt; himself? Since I&#039;m not and never have been using GMail I certainly can&#039;t tell what&#039;s right or wrong myself ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

I'm 100% sure that I'm pasting in the correct password - It works fine with Webmail & Pegasus/IMAP

The David Harris posting referred to relates to Sending via Gmail.

I don't think it's a Pegasus problem - It seems more like a Gmail issue.

==================================================

Are you using server certificate fingerprint tracking, APOP, SSLv3, etc?

I don't know what that refers to, or how to check.

&lt;p&gt;I&#039;m 100% sure that I&#039;m pasting in the correct password - It works fine with Webmail &amp;amp; Pegasus/IMAP&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The David Harris posting referred to relates to &lt;b&gt;Sending&lt;/b&gt; via Gmail.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I don&#039;t think it&#039;s a Pegasus problem - It seems more like a Gmail issue.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;==================================================&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;i&gt;Are you using server certificate fingerprint tracking, APOP, SSLv3, etc?&lt;/i&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I don&#039;t know what that refers to, or how to check. &lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft