Community Discussions and Support
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC

[quote user="selberherr"]The hangs are indeed true hangs, since I tested them by waiting for more than an hour. It must be connected to Windows LTSC, or at least, I did not observe the phenomenon with any older version.[/quote]

Hi Siegfried,

there is a way for doing some diagnostics on this issue: Please get and install the MiniDump extension and run its Snapshot tool while Pegasus Mail is hanging. This might give us a clue of what's going on in the guts while Pegasus Mail isn't responsive. If you don't already not about the MiniDump extension it's recommended to read the post on top of this forum (it also provides the download link) and try its suggestions before using it. Its ReadMe file explains how it works in more detail.

<p>[quote user="selberherr"]The hangs are indeed true hangs, since I tested them by waiting for more than an hour. It must be connected to Windows LTSC, or at least, I did not observe the phenomenon with any older version.[/quote]</p><p>Hi Siegfried,</p><p>there is a way for doing some diagnostics on this issue: Please get and install the MiniDump extension and run its <i>Snapshot</i> tool while Pegasus Mail is hanging. This might give us a clue of what's going on in the guts while Pegasus Mail isn't responsive. If you don't already not about the MiniDump extension it's recommended to read <a mce_href="/forums/thread/31478.aspx" target="_blank" href="/forums/thread/31478.aspx">the post on top of this forum</a> (it also provides the download link) and try its suggestions before using it. Its ReadMe file explains how it works in more detail. </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Dear Pegasus Fans,

I recently upgraded various computers from  "Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB" to "Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC Version 1809".

Now, once out of every roughly five times, Pegasus hangs at start up at the info "Opening new mail folder...". The Windows Task Manager says "Not responding" for the process. If I kill the process and restart Pegasus, I see the "Mailbox is locked" screen and after clicking "Continue" everything works fine again. This phenomenon appears on all upgraded computers and I did not observe this problem with "Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB".

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this minor glitch?

Best regards, Siegfried Selberherr

<p>Dear Pegasus Fans,</p><p>I recently upgraded various computers from  "Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB" to "Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC Version 1809".</p><p>Now, once out of every roughly five times, Pegasus hangs at start up at the info "Opening new mail folder...". The Windows Task Manager says "Not responding" for the process. If I kill the process and restart Pegasus, I see the "Mailbox is locked" screen and after clicking "Continue" everything works fine again. This phenomenon appears on all upgraded computers and I did not observe this problem with "Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB".</p><p>Does anyone have an idea how to fix this minor glitch?</p><p>Best regards, Siegfried Selberherr</p><p> </p><p> </p>

I also don't know why a change in the Win10 version would cause what you describe.  The known cause of a hang at the "Opening new mail folder" stage is a bad new message file.  It will not resolve itself on a subsequent start. 

In my experience the "Not responding" verbiage has been very common

with Pegasus Mail, both on Win7 and Win10 but worse on Win10.  My understanding is that the system displays "Not responding" when it thinks a program is hung when in fact Pegasus Mail is just busy and unable respond to the system timely enough.  It almost always

clears after a short period but sometimes indicates a true hang.  Have you waited awhile (at least a minute) after "Not responding" appears to see if it clears? 

Do you typically have a large number of unread messages in the new mail folder?

<p>I also don't know why a change in the Win10 version would cause what you describe.  The known cause of a hang at the "Opening new mail folder" stage is a bad new message file.  It will not resolve itself on a subsequent start.  </p><p>In my experience the "Not responding" verbiage has been very common with Pegasus Mail, both on Win7 and Win10 but worse on Win10.  My understanding is that the system displays "Not responding" when it thinks a program is hung when in fact Pegasus Mail is just busy and unable respond to the system timely enough.  It almost always clears after a short period but sometimes indicates a true hang.  Have you waited awhile (at least a minute) after "Not responding" appears to see if it clears? </p><p> Do you typically have a large number of unread messages in the new mail folder? </p><p>  </p>

Hi Brian,

The hangs are indeed true hangs, since I tested them by waiting for more than an hour. It must be connected to Windows LTSC, or at least, I did not observe the phenomenon with any older version.

I do not have unread messages in the new mail folder when opening Pegasus. Before closing Pegasus I clean up all unread messages in the new mail folder by moving them appropriately to other folders.

Thank you for your support and best regards, Siegfried

<p>Hi Brian,</p><p>The hangs are indeed true hangs, since I tested them by waiting for more than an hour. It must be connected to Windows LTSC, or at least, I did not observe the phenomenon with any older version.</p><p>I do not have unread messages in the new mail folder when opening Pegasus. Before closing Pegasus I clean up all unread messages in the new mail folder by moving them appropriately to other folders.</p><p>Thank you for your support and best regards, Siegfried </p>

This sounds like a rogue message in the NewMail directory.  The crash you see may be destroying the bad message, usually junk mail. That would then let the remainder of messages to display normally.  If you have a large list of messages in the NewMail directory, you should try to move all the messages that have already been read (check mark in column one) into a temporary directory. Your problem message may well be one of the remaining messages.

Martin

<p>This sounds like a rogue message in the NewMail directory.  The crash you see may be destroying the bad message, usually junk mail. That would then let the remainder of messages to display normally.  If you have a large list of messages in the NewMail directory, you should try to move all the messages that have already been read (check mark in column one) into a temporary directory. Your problem message may well be one of the remaining messages.</p><p>Martin </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft