Community Discussions and Support
AW: Pmail is ignoring standard Windows printer settings

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]I have seen this happen with other old apps.  The behavior is as if the print job is sent directly to the printer, ignoring the printer driver preferences.  Does setting the default tray in the printer preferences on a client machine make a difference?[/quote]

The default tray is already set on each client machine, but Pmail is ignoring it.

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]Also, might the problem be specific to printers using a PS driver?  I'm using PCL drivers on all printers due to problems with PS drivers (I don't remember the specifics though).  Tray management on a recently purchased Xerox printer was problematic with both PS & PCL6 drivers.  A PCL5 driver solved the problem.[/quote]

We are using PCL drivers only

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]Finally, I've experienced client PC's that just would not print correctly when the printer was installed as a network printer.  Installing the printer as a local printer to the appropriate TCP/IP port has been the solution. [/quote]

All of our printers are network printer. Installing local printers is not our preffered method since all printer queues should be centrally managed by the server.

But anyway. The problem is only with one of our printers where normal paper is in tray 2 and letter heads in tray 1. I will exchange the trays one with another. Then it doesn't matter when Pmail is always using tray 1, ignoring all default Windows settings.

<p>[quote user="Brian Fluet"]I have seen this happen with other old apps.  The behavior is as if the print job is sent directly to the printer, ignoring the printer driver preferences.  Does setting the default tray in the printer preferences on a client machine make a difference?[/quote]</p><p>The default tray is already set on each client machine, but Pmail is ignoring it. </p><p>[quote user="Brian Fluet"]Also, might the problem be specific to printers using a PS driver?  I'm using PCL drivers on all printers due to problems with PS drivers (I don't remember the specifics though).  Tray management on a recently purchased Xerox printer was problematic with both PS & PCL6 drivers.  A PCL5 driver solved the problem.[/quote]</p><p>We are using PCL drivers only </p><p>[quote user="Brian Fluet"]Finally, I've experienced client PC's that just would not print correctly when the printer was installed as a network printer.  Installing the printer as a local printer to the appropriate TCP/IP port has been the solution. [/quote]</p><p>All of our printers are network printer. Installing local printers is not our preffered method since all printer queues should be centrally managed by the server.</p><p>But anyway. The problem is only with one of our printers where normal paper is in tray 2 and letter heads in tray 1. I will exchange the trays one with another. Then it doesn't matter when Pmail is always using tray 1, ignoring all default Windows settings. </p>

Our office printers are fitted with more than one paper tray where one tray is for standard paper and another tray for e.g. company letter heads. At the domain controller, which is also acting as print server, we set the standard printer settings for all clients, means from which tray the printer should be normally feeded from. This works fine so far for all installed client programs like MS Office in that manner that when printing with standard settings, the tray with standard paper is always chosen. At some printers the standard is #1 tray, and at other printers #2 tray.

When printing from Pmail with the simple print function (using button PRINT from the header symbols of an opened mail), Pmail is always printing (irrespective of selecting the stadard printer or a special printer from drop down box) with #1 trays, ignoring other standard Windows printer settings where normal paper is for example in #2 tray of a printer.

On the other hand, when printing via Ctrl+Shift+P, all standard settings will be followed and Pmail is printing with the correct printer paper tray.

Any ideas?

<p>Our office printers are fitted with more than one paper tray where one tray is for standard paper and another tray for e.g. company letter heads. At the domain controller, which is also acting as print server, we set the standard printer settings for all clients, means from which tray the printer should be normally feeded from. This works fine so far for all installed client programs like MS Office in that manner that when printing with standard settings, the tray with standard paper is always chosen. At some printers the standard is #1 tray, and at other printers #2 tray. </p><p>When printing from Pmail with the simple print function (using button PRINT from the header symbols of an opened mail), Pmail is always printing (irrespective of selecting the stadard printer or a special printer from drop down box) with #1 trays, ignoring other standard Windows printer settings where normal paper is for example in #2 tray of a printer.</p><p>On the other hand, when printing via Ctrl+Shift+P, all standard settings will be followed and Pmail is printing with the correct printer paper tray.</p><p>Any ideas? </p>

I have seen this happen with other old apps.  The behavior is as if the print job is sent directly to the printer, ignoring the printer driver preferences.  Does setting the default tray in the printer preferences on a client machine make a difference?

Also, might the problem be specific to printers using a PS driver?  I'm using PCL drivers on all printers due to problems with PS drivers (I don't remember the specifics though).  Tray management on a recently purchased Xerox printer was problematic with both PS & PCL6 drivers.  A PCL5 driver solved the problem.

Finally, I've experienced client PC's that just would not print correctly when the printer was installed as a network printer.  Installing the printer as a local printer to the appropriate TCP/IP port has been the solution.

<p>I have seen this happen with other old apps.  The behavior is as if the print job is sent directly to the printer, ignoring the printer driver preferences.  Does setting the default tray in the printer preferences on a client machine make a difference?</p><p>Also, might the problem be specific to printers using a PS driver?  I'm using PCL drivers on all printers due to problems with PS drivers (I don't remember the specifics though).  Tray management on a recently purchased Xerox printer was problematic with both PS & PCL6 drivers.  A PCL5 driver solved the problem. </p><p>Finally, I've experienced client PC's that just would not print correctly when the printer was installed as a network printer.  Installing the printer as a local printer to the appropriate TCP/IP port has been the solution. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft