Community Discussions and Support
Cannot input special characters in PMail 4.80

In new version PMail 4.80 I cannot input special characters in mail editor using "AltGr+=" or "AltGr+Shift+=". These combinations are used in Czech programators keybort layout for some letters with accented. In old version its works fine.
Thanks for your help Tytynek

In new version PMail 4.80 I cannot input special characters in mail editor using "AltGr+=" or "AltGr+Shift+=". These combinations are used in Czech programators keybort layout for some letters with accented. In old version its works fine. Thanks for your help Tytynek

Can you please provide test samples for non-Czech people so we can duplicate it, first question would be: Which charset is your Windows default? Which one is your Pegasus Mail default? What key combination would be required (and do we have to use the NumPad or not, I don't have one since I'm exclusively working on notebooks which even can't emulate one) and how would it's output look like if working properly? Can this be emulated using the Windows char table (see below)? Do we need a special keyboard?

622122f6c595c

Can you please provide test samples for non-Czech people so we can duplicate it, first question would be: Which charset is your Windows default? Which one is your Pegasus Mail default? What key combination would be required (and do we have to use the NumPad or not, I don't have one since I'm exclusively working on notebooks which even can't emulate one) and how would it's output look like if working properly? Can this be emulated using the Windows char table (see below)? Do we need a special keyboard? ![622122f6c595c](serve/attachment&path=622122f6c595c)
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Mar 3 '22 at 8:21 pm

Thanks for your fast response.
Default charset for Czech version of Windows is Win1250. In Pegasus Mail I have as default MIME character set ISO-8859-2. Change to Win1250 has no effect. Also this problem is OS version independent I tested it on WinXP, 7 and 10 with same result.

By this combination of keys you can created all letter with these accent ˇ´^¨ by this two step:

first step: press keys: AllGr(Right Alt)+ =or\ (also can be used with shift)
second step: press key for accented letter
f.e.: AltGr+= e -> é (Alt+0233)
AltGr+Shift+= e -> ě (Alt+0236)
AltGr+Shift+= Shift+e ->Ě (Alt+0204)
AltGr+\ u -> ü (Alt+0252)

You don't need special keyboard neither NumPad.
I think that problem can be that you press two combination keys for one character but this layout (I think that "Czech for programmers" keyboard layout is standard part of Windows not only Czech version) and Pegasus Mail 4.80 is first application - text editor, which I met, with this problem.
Tytynek

Thanks for your fast response. Default charset for Czech version of Windows is Win1250. In Pegasus Mail I have as default MIME character set ISO-8859-2. Change to Win1250 has no effect. Also this problem is OS version independent I tested it on WinXP, 7 and 10 with same result. By this combination of keys you can created all letter with these accent ˇ´^¨ by this two step: first step: press keys: AllGr(Right Alt)+ =or\ (also can be used with shift) second step: press key for accented letter f.e.: AltGr+= e -> é (Alt+0233) AltGr+Shift+= e -> ě (Alt+0236) AltGr+Shift+= Shift+e ->Ě (Alt+0204) AltGr+\ u -> ü (Alt+0252) You don't need special keyboard neither NumPad. I think that problem can be that you press two combination keys for one character but this layout (I think that "Czech for programmers" keyboard layout is standard part of Windows not only Czech version) and Pegasus Mail 4.80 is first application - text editor, which I met, with this problem. Tytynek

You don't need special keyboard neither NumPad.

Sorry, can't duplicate this on a notebook unless having a NumPad where I can use the Alt + number combination, so no chance for testing. Maybe David Harris can, I pointed him to this thread, that's all I can do for now, but I'm not sure whether he can do anything about it in the short run.

[quote="pid:53472, uid:4348"]You don't need special keyboard neither NumPad.[/quote] Sorry, can't duplicate this on a notebook unless having a NumPad where I can use the Alt + number combination, so no chance for testing. Maybe David Harris can, I pointed him to this thread, that's all I can do for now, but I'm not sure whether he can do anything about it in the short run.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Mar 5 '22 at 6:48 am

Sorry for my bad description. I am using also notebook only so you this key combination is possible on every keyboard. On attached picture is way how write first example accented e: é
6223104e8866f

Tytynek

Sorry for my bad description. I am using also notebook only so you this key combination is possible on every keyboard. On attached picture is way how write first example accented e: é ![6223104e8866f](serve/attachment&path=6223104e8866f) Tytynek

I don't need to use AltGr for the only accents I have on my keyboard, and any other keys used with AltGr don't need a second key to be pressed. Sorry, there's no way to duplicate it on my keyboard which really makes it very difficult to do anything about it unless anyone already knows what to look for smile

I don't need to use AltGr for the only accents I have on my keyboard, and any other keys used with AltGr don't need a second key to be pressed. Sorry, there's no way to duplicate it on my keyboard which really makes it _very_ difficult to do anything about it unless anyone already knows what to look for :(
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Thank you for your response.
I have done a few tests and found out that problem is possibly not in "two-key" combination. Another "two-key" combination with Shift + = used in another layout works normally. It seems that only this combination of Altgr + = don't work.

Therefore, this problem should be found in changes between version 4.80 and 4.71 of windows event KeyDown, KeyUp or KeyPress. What has changed in processing keys VK_RMENU or VK_(L)MENU+VK_(LR)CONTROL.

Alternatively, because PMail has keyboard shortcuts with AltGr (eg AltGr + F5) in other keyboard shortcut definition.

Thank you for your response. I have done a few tests and found out that problem is possibly not in "two-key" combination. Another "two-key" combination with Shift + = used in another layout works normally. It seems that only this combination of Altgr + = don't work. Therefore, this problem should be found in changes between version 4.80 and 4.71 of windows event KeyDown, KeyUp or KeyPress. What has changed in processing keys VK\_RMENU or VK\_(L)MENU+VK\_(LR)CONTROL. Alternatively, because PMail has keyboard shortcuts with AltGr (eg AltGr + F5) in other keyboard shortcut definition.

I have done a few tests and found out that problem is possibly not in "two-key" combination. Another "two-key" combination with Shift + = used in another layout works normally. It seems that only this combination of Altgr + = don't work.

I'm sorry but I don't understand this paragraph: I'm sure you are right but I can't duplicate your AltGr findings since my keyboard doesn't provide keys for doing so, that's what I meant to say. Am I missing something?

Therefore, this problem should be found in changes between version 4.80 and 4.71 of windows event KeyDown, KeyUp or KeyPress. What has changed in processing keys VKRMENU or VK(L)MENU+VK_(LR)CONTROL.

Unfortunately it isn't as easy as it sounds since the TER module providing the editor is a pretty expensive third-party software with its support contract already expired (which even excludes fixing bugs) and a developer whom we already had our difficulties with in dealing with another issue concerning weird behaviour on typing in (not only) characters with diaresis on so-called "Western" language keyboards. IOW: If we cannot even duplicate your issue there's almost no chance in getting the editor's developer to support us in fixing it even with a valid support contract. And, BTW: Are you really refering to PM 4.71 as your reference? That's been released seven years ago and to figure out what might have been caused this issue doesn't become any easier to track down since there have been so many changes in between ...

Alternatively, because PMail has keyboard shortcuts with AltGr (eg AltGr + F5) in other keyboard shortcut definition.

There are no such shortcuts in Pegasus Mail on purpose (for a list of these see here ), if you can use AltGr for one of these it would be by accident, in your sample case most likely a Ctrl + F5 combination where the Alt + Ctrl + F5 combination hasn't been disabled (Alt + Ctrl emulating AltGr).

[quote="pid:53547, uid:4348"]I have done a few tests and found out that problem is possibly not in "two-key" combination. Another "two-key" combination with Shift + = used in another layout works normally. It seems that only this combination of Altgr + = don't work.[/quote] I'm sorry but I don't understand this paragraph: I'm sure you are right but I can't duplicate your AltGr findings since my keyboard doesn't provide keys for doing so, that's what I meant to say. Am I missing something? [quote="pid:53547, uid:4348"]Therefore, this problem should be found in changes between version 4.80 and 4.71 of windows event KeyDown, KeyUp or KeyPress. What has changed in processing keys VK_RMENU or VK_(L)MENU+VK_(LR)CONTROL.[/quote] Unfortunately it isn't as easy as it sounds since the TER module providing the editor is a pretty expensive third-party software with its support contract already expired (which even excludes fixing bugs) and a developer whom we already had our difficulties with in dealing with another issue concerning weird behaviour on typing in (not only) characters with diaresis on so-called "Western" language keyboards. IOW: If we cannot even duplicate your issue there's almost no chance in getting the editor's developer to support us in fixing it even with a valid support contract. And, BTW: Are you really refering to PM 4.71 as your reference? That's been released seven years ago and to figure out what might have been caused this issue doesn't become any easier to track down since there have been so many changes in between ... [quote="pid:53547, uid:4348"]Alternatively, because PMail has keyboard shortcuts with AltGr (eg AltGr + F5) in other keyboard shortcut definition.[/quote] There are no such shortcuts in Pegasus Mail on purpose (for a list of these see [here](http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/pk_frame.html) ), if you can use AltGr for one of these it would be by accident, in your sample case most likely a Ctrl + F5 combination where the Alt + Ctrl + F5 combination hasn't been disabled (Alt + Ctrl emulating AltGr).
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

I'm sorry but I don't understand this paragraph

I try to explain it another way. In Czech or Slovak are almost 20 letters with diacritics so it's impossible to have all available by pressing key combination. So for some characters, you must first select diacritic and then letter. One of my thoughts was that for some reason, the tray is cleaned after each press, which would explain why the characters entered by one key combinations, eg: AltGr + 3 (or Alt + Ctrl + 3) work, but the ones which need to first select diacritics by press AltGr ++ (Ctrl + Alt ++), and then select the letter eg u -> ú do not work. But I found another layout in which is for selecting diacritic used keys + and SHIFT ++. and this variant works so the problem is not in buffer cleaning.

since my keyboard doesn't provide keys for doing so, that's what I meant to say. Am I missing something?

You don't need special keyboard. I remember time (early 90) when the czech keyboards were done using stickers only. Just install to OS proper language / keyboard support. I have several specific layouts for different languages on my computer. I tried it and neither physical existence of the AltGr (right Alt) key is not needed for writing Czech characters. The Alt + Ctrl variant is fully functional.

Are you really refering to PM 4.71 as your reference?

Sorry my mistake I meant, of course, 4.73.639

For completeness, two findings.

I did not find differences in keyboard shortcuts between 4.73 and 4.80 so there is probably not the problem.

The problem occurs only in the main message editor window it does not occur in all other input fields. So problem is probably in TER module smile.

[quote="pid:53548, uid:2133"]I'm sorry but I don't understand this paragraph [/quote] I try to explain it another way. In Czech or Slovak are almost 20 letters with diacritics so it's impossible to have all available by pressing key combination. So for some characters, you must first select diacritic and then letter. One of my thoughts was that for some reason, the tray is cleaned after each press, which would explain why the characters entered by one key combinations, eg: AltGr + 3 (or Alt + Ctrl + 3) work, but the ones which need to first select diacritics by press AltGr ++ (Ctrl + Alt ++), and then select the letter eg u -> ú do not work. But I found another layout in which is for selecting diacritic used keys + and SHIFT ++. and this variant works so the problem is not in buffer cleaning. [quote="pid:53548, uid:2133"]since my keyboard doesn't provide keys for doing so, that's what I meant to say. Am I missing something?[/quote] You don't need special keyboard. I remember time (early 90) when the czech keyboards were done using stickers only. Just install to OS proper language / keyboard support. I have several specific layouts for different languages on my computer. I tried it and neither physical existence of the AltGr (right Alt) key is not needed for writing Czech characters. The Alt + Ctrl variant is fully functional. [quote="pid:53548, uid:2133"]Are you really refering to PM 4.71 as your reference?[/quote] Sorry my mistake I meant, of course, 4.73.639 For completeness, two findings. I did not find differences in keyboard shortcuts between 4.73 and 4.80 so there is probably not the problem. The problem occurs only in the main message editor window it does not occur in all other input fields. So problem is probably in TER module :(.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft