Community Discussions and Support
Forwarding html messages

Whenever I try to forward an html message with the 'Edit or make changes' option set, the forwarded message loses all the images and replaces them with blank boxes. Whenever I need to do this I have to use another mail client such as Outlook. It has always been this way, but now that most emails come in html format it is a real inconvenience. I have scoured all the options with no success. Have I missed something?
Thanks in anticipation.

Whenever I try to forward an html message with the 'Edit or make changes' option set, the forwarded message loses all the images and replaces them with blank boxes. Whenever I need to do this I have to use another mail client such as Outlook. It has always been this way, but now that most emails come in html format it is a real inconvenience. I have scoured all the options with no success. Have I missed something? Thanks in anticipation.

Are you checking the "Forward any attachments the message has as well" option?

Are you checking the "Forward any attachments the message has as well" option?

You could only bouncing an email (without editing) when you don't wanna loose all embedded images. But in that case you are not able to add own text to it. As soon as you intend to forward the mail it will be edited and images removed.
This is the same behaviour when "copy to self" outgoing emails. All images will be removed and replaced by grey rectangles. Please see my post in section Suggestions (https://community.pmail.com/index.php?u=/topic/11553/option-to-save-images-and-attachments-in-copy-to-self-folder)

For special purposes where a mail should keep all embedded images or other html styles I switch over to Thunderbird which is connected to our mail server as well.

You could only bouncing an email (without editing) when you don't wanna loose all embedded images. But in that case you are not able to add own text to it. As soon as you intend to forward the mail it will be edited and images removed. This is the same behaviour when "copy to self" outgoing emails. All images will be removed and replaced by grey rectangles. Please see my post in section Suggestions (https://community.pmail.com/index.php?u=/topic/11553/option-to-save-images-and-attachments-in-copy-to-self-folder) For special purposes where a mail should keep all embedded images or other html styles I switch over to Thunderbird which is connected to our mail server as well.
edited Mar 19 '22 at 8:17 pm

You could only bouncing an email (without editing) when you don't wanna loose all embedded images. But in that case you are not able to add own text to it. As soon as you intend to forward the mail it will be edited and images removed.

IMO the best current option in this case is Start a new message with the messages attached which will leave the forwarded message "as is" (which is, BTW, always the best option for HTML messages anyway since it's almost impossible to embed an exact copy of the forwarded one into a new on - well, got to make a note about this for myself as it just gives me an idea about something to try next :-)) - and being able to write your own reply in the new body of the message nevertheless. It kind of duplicates sending a FAX with a new cover page:

623649229bf4d

[quote="pid:53626, uid:3785"]You could only bouncing an email (without editing) when you don't wanna loose all embedded images. But in that case you are not able to add own text to it. As soon as you intend to forward the mail it will be edited and images removed.[/quote] IMO the best current option in this case is _Start a new message with the messages attached_ which will leave the forwarded message "as is" (which is, BTW, always the best option for HTML messages anyway since it's almost impossible to embed an exact copy of the forwarded one into a new on - well, got to make a note about this for myself as it just gives me an idea about something to try next :-)) - and being able to write your own reply in the new body of the message nevertheless. It kind of duplicates sending a FAX with a new cover page: ![623649229bf4d](serve/attachment&path=623649229bf4d)
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know I am not doing anything wrong and that's just how it is! Good tip about attaching the message when appropriate. The problem comes when I want to reply quoting text form the sender. It all gets very messy. Like Joerg, I too have used Thunderbird which works fine. Hopefully this will be addressed in V5. Forwarding attachments doesn't solve the problem, BTW. Cheers, Ian.

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know I am not doing anything wrong and that's just how it is! Good tip about attaching the message when appropriate. The problem comes when I want to reply quoting text form the sender. It all gets very messy. Like Joerg, I too have used Thunderbird which works fine. Hopefully this will be addressed in V5. Forwarding attachments doesn't solve the problem, BTW. Cheers, Ian.

Hopefully this will be addressed in V5. Forwarding attachments doesn't solve the problem, BTW. Cheers, Ian.

I don't think so because converting HTML plain text is just too complex, you can't convert a complex mixture of columns, tables, lists and graphics in a satisfying way. An email application is just an email application and not an office dinosaur.

And if replying to selected parts you need to rearrange the message anyway, so what else do you have in mind other than top posting on a full quote, please provide a sample instead of just a "BTW, it's a messy problem with something I didn't mention in my thread starter" so I can make something of it ...

[quote="pid:53634, uid:32294"]Hopefully this will be addressed in V5. Forwarding attachments doesn't solve the problem, BTW. Cheers, Ian.[/quote] I don't think so because converting HTML plain text is just too complex, you can't convert a complex mixture of columns, tables, lists and graphics in a satisfying way. An email application is just an email application and not an office dinosaur. And if replying to selected parts you need to rearrange the message anyway, so what else do you have in mind other than top posting on a full quote, please provide a sample instead of just a "BTW, it's a messy problem with something I didn't mention in my thread starter" so I can make something of it ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft