Community Discussions and Support
Important folder is empty

Good Morning Group:

As I was shutting down the computer last evening, I noticed that one of my "MASDA" folders was now empty. I'm at a loss as to how this might have happened.

The folder in question contained an assortment of important information, including receipts, invoices, and important dates and times, etc.

Hopefully, the mind trust of this group can point me in the right direction to restore the folder's contents.

I look forward to any comments.

Thank You

Tom G, Sr.

Good Morning Group: As I was shutting down the computer last evening, I noticed that one of my "MASDA" folders was now empty. I'm at a loss as to how this might have happened. The folder in question contained an assortment of important information, including receipts, invoices, and important dates and times, etc. Hopefully, the mind trust of this group can point me in the right direction to restore the folder's contents. I look forward to any comments. Thank You Tom G, Sr.

one of my "MASDA" folders

If this means you have multiple folders named "MASDA" I suggest giving each one a unique name (eg: MASDA_1, MASDA_2,...). Duplicate names would not have caused a folder to appear empty but it has been known to cause the duplicates to disappear.

As for the empty folder, there are no known issues within Pegasus Mail that will cause a loss of data.
Restart Pegasus Mail if you haven't.
If that doesn't help, search the entire mailbox for one of the messages to see if they might have been inadvertently moved to a different folder. Post back if you need help with the search process, providing specifics about what you want to search for.

Know that you should be able to recover that folder from a backup made before the problem occurred. To do this:

• Right-click on the empty folder then go to 'Folder information". The resulting screen will contain a field showing the folder name, it will be in the format FOL?????.PMM. Make note of that name.
  • Close Pegasus Mail.
  • Use a file explorer to navigate to you home mailbox directory.
  • Locate the .PMM and .PMI file pair that match the name of the empty folder and move them to a temporary location outside of the mailbox directory.
  • Restore those same two files from a backup.
  • Start Pegasus Mail and see if that worked.

[quote="pid:56597, uid:41211"]one of my "MASDA" folders[/quote] If this means you have multiple folders named "MASDA" I suggest giving each one a unique name (eg: MASDA_1, MASDA_2,...). Duplicate names would not have caused a folder to appear empty but it has been known to cause the duplicates to disappear. As for the empty folder, there are no known issues within Pegasus Mail that will cause a loss of data. Restart Pegasus Mail if you haven't. If that doesn't help, search the entire mailbox for one of the messages to see if they might have been inadvertently moved to a different folder. Post back if you need help with the search process, providing specifics about what you want to search for. Know that you should be able to recover that folder from a backup made before the problem occurred. To do this: - Right-click on the empty folder then go to 'Folder information". The resulting screen will contain a field showing the folder name, it will be in the format FOL?????.PMM. Make note of that name. - Close Pegasus Mail. - Use a file explorer to navigate to you home mailbox directory. - Locate the .PMM and .PMI file pair that match the name of the empty folder and move them to a temporary location outside of the mailbox directory. - Restore those same two files from a backup. - Start Pegasus Mail and see if that worked.

Just as a rare possibility.
Pegasus uses a uniq name for folders in HIERARCH.PM file that is different than real name of folder.
Believe these are created randomly, so unlikely a new folder would be created with the same id, but have heard of people coping a folder pair to a new name, and thus those two folders would have same uniq ids.

VHELKLHO:5264:MAIN is example of the ID with first two being the id. Usually the Foldername starts with FOL0xxx. I use a program to rename my folders, and it changes ID in PMM/PMI pair.

Might want to check the name linked to the folder in question, and see the sizes it reports for the PMM and PMI file. Could also be a corrupted PMI file, and right clicking on it, and using check consistency to see if index problem.

Examining the HIERARCH.PM file to see if any folders have same key. Also, if you have folders in multiple locations, could be a copy has same id.

I also do regular 7z archives of my PMAIL directory with dates in names as backups, and use RSYNC to keep a copy on a secondary machine. Copy images to 3 other machines just to be safe. Luckily never need to use a backup, but have occassionally checked it to make sure they would work.

Good Luck.

Just as a rare possibility. Pegasus uses a uniq name for folders in HIERARCH.PM file that is different than real name of folder. Believe these are created randomly, so unlikely a new folder would be created with the same id, but have heard of people coping a folder pair to a new name, and thus those two folders would have same uniq ids. VHELKLHO:5264:MAIN is example of the ID with first two being the id. Usually the Foldername starts with FOL0xxx. I use a program to rename my folders, and it changes ID in PMM/PMI pair. Might want to check the name linked to the folder in question, and see the sizes it reports for the PMM and PMI file. Could also be a corrupted PMI file, and right clicking on it, and using check consistency to see if index problem. Examining the HIERARCH.PM file to see if any folders have same key. Also, if you have folders in multiple locations, could be a copy has same id. I also do regular 7z archives of my PMAIL directory with dates in names as backups, and use RSYNC to keep a copy on a secondary machine. Copy images to 3 other machines just to be safe. Luckily never need to use a backup, but have occassionally checked it to make sure they would work. Good Luck.

mikes@guam.net

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft