Community Discussions and Support
Peer connect failure

I use networksolutions for my email server and they have been going through some gnarly security upgrades recently.

Last week I had to change the send and receive ports after Pegasus stopped working. I entered the new port into and got it working, finally.

Today Pegasus stopped sending and no matter what ports I try on one computer or another, I get the same error using port 465:

Peer connect failure.

Port 587 gives me this error:

error:1408F10BsmileSL routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number

and

535 authentication failed (#5.7.1)

This happened during the afternoon to both computers. I have only tried to adjust the setting on one computer knowing full-well that the other was working too until they both went down. Both are receiving. They are both simply not sending.

I'm at a loss at this point. I tried all the setting combination and nothing works.

HELP!?!?!?!

I use networksolutions for my email server and they have been going through some gnarly security upgrades recently. Last week I had to change the send and receive ports after Pegasus stopped working. I entered the new port into and got it working, finally. Today Pegasus stopped sending and no matter what ports I try on one computer or another, I get the same error using port 465: Peer connect failure. Port 587 gives me this error: error:1408F10B:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number and >> 535 authentication failed (#5.7.1) This happened during the afternoon to both computers. I have only tried to adjust the setting on one computer knowing full-well that the other was working too until they both went down. Both are receiving. They are both simply not sending. I'm at a loss at this point. I tried all the setting combination and nothing works. HELP!?!?!?!
edited May 24 at 4:39 am

Which version of Pegasus Mail are you using? Providers are currently switching to using TLS 1.3 for authentication / encryption and older verions of Pegasus Mail don't support it. You might need to upgrade at least to PM v4.8 for matching current requirements.

But before doing so you should rather consider to install the public beta v4.81: It fixes a couple of issues in v4.80 but unfortunately has one issue by itself about which you can read more at https://community.pmail.com/index.php?u=/topic/11955/pmail-4-81-not-remembering-pop3-or-smtp-hosts-between-sessions/1#post-55919.

Which version of Pegasus Mail are you using? Providers are currently switching to using TLS 1.3 for authentication / encryption and older verions of Pegasus Mail don't support it. You might need to upgrade at least to PM v4.8 for matching current requirements. But before doing so you should rather consider to install the [public beta v4.81](https://www.pmail.com/v48x.htm): It fixes a couple of issues in v4.80 but unfortunately has one issue by itself about which you can read more at https://community.pmail.com/index.php?u=/topic/11955/pmail-4-81-not-remembering-pop3-or-smtp-hosts-between-sessions/1#post-55919.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Thanks Micheal,

I was using:

WinPMail version: Version 4.80.1028, Jan 16 2022, build ID 1028

My other computer is using the an earlier version.

Both are suffering from the same issue.

So, on to new efforts...

I have upgraded to 4.81, as per your recommendation. I have everything appearing as before on my directories.

I am still not able to send and, depending upon what options/ports/configurations I select, I am getting errors as before.

I am at wits end with frustration. Networksolutions upgraded their security twice over the last two weeks. Pegasus was able to reconfigured to deal with the first upgrade. It doesn't appear to be able to deal with whatever they did this time - which they will not tell me other than they are switching users over to the new security.

Thanks Micheal, I was using: WinPMail version: Version 4.80.1028, Jan 16 2022, build ID 1028 My other computer is using the an earlier version. Both are suffering from the same issue. So, on to new efforts... I have upgraded to 4.81, as per your recommendation. I have everything appearing as before on my directories. I am still not able to send and, depending upon what options/ports/configurations I select, I am getting errors as before. I am at wits end with frustration. Networksolutions upgraded their security twice over the last two weeks. Pegasus was able to reconfigured to deal with the first upgrade. It doesn't appear to be able to deal with whatever they did this time - which they will not tell me other than they are switching users over to the new security.

I don't know if any of the following information will help. I'm going to share it in the hope it will.

They are Ending Support for TLS 1.0 and 1.1

Does PMAIL support TLS v1.2?

Here's the change Overview:

Transport Layer Security (TLS) is an online security protocol that provides a secure connection by encrypting all data between servers and email clients. Due to increased attacks and security vulnerabilities in previous years, we will no longer support TLS versions 1.0 and 1.1. To ensure your continued data safety, we will be updating support to TLS version 1.2.

Why Is This important?

TLS version 1.2 provides a secure connection. This update means all email server connections using TLS 1.0 and 1.1 will need to be updated to TLS 1.2. Non-secure connections will no longer be supported.

If your email application or software is not configured with a secure connection, you may experience an interruption with your email service.

What To Do

This section explains the steps you can take to ensure you do not experience any interruptions due to this update.

First, check if your email application or operating system is supported by reviewing the supported email applications and operating systems. 
Next, check if your email settings have the correct Outgoing Server (SMTP) authentication and SSL/TLS encryption. Visit these instructions for help locating your email settings.
Outgoing Server (SMTP) requires authentication: Yes
SSL/TLS: Enable
If you need to update your email settings, visit nsmailsettings.com to get your email settings and find instructions on updating them in your email application or software.

I don't know if any of the following information will help. I'm going to share it in the hope it will. They are Ending Support for TLS 1.0 and 1.1 **Does PMAIL support TLS v1.2?** Here's the change Overview: Transport Layer Security (TLS) is an online security protocol that provides a secure connection by encrypting all data between servers and email clients. Due to increased attacks and security vulnerabilities in previous years, we will no longer support TLS versions 1.0 and 1.1. To ensure your continued data safety, we will be updating support to TLS version 1.2. Why Is This important? TLS version 1.2 provides a secure connection. This update means all email server connections using TLS 1.0 and 1.1 will need to be updated to TLS 1.2. Non-secure connections will no longer be supported. If your email application or software is not configured with a secure connection, you may experience an interruption with your email service. What To Do This section explains the steps you can take to ensure you do not experience any interruptions due to this update. First, check if your email application or operating system is supported by reviewing the supported email applications and operating systems. Next, check if your email settings have the correct Outgoing Server (SMTP) authentication and SSL/TLS encryption. Visit these instructions for help locating your email settings. Outgoing Server (SMTP) requires authentication: Yes SSL/TLS: Enable If you need to update your email settings, visit nsmailsettings.com to get your email settings and find instructions on updating them in your email application or software.
edited May 24 at 4:49 pm

I found a Network Solutions support page that contains a tool that is supposed to tell you the appropriate settings for you domain. That is where I would start.
Worthy of note here is the fact that the problem started today so may be an issue on their end that will eventually be resolved. Their website support pages were extremely slow to load which adds to the possibility that they are having problems.

https://customerservice.networksolutions.com/prweb/PRAuth/app/WebKM/JfLhd8LVz0a16-h3GqsHOCqqFky5N_vd*/!autoThread1?pzuiactionzzz=CXtycX02M2VmMzM2MjM0MzA5MGFjNDhlNDRlODI4ZWJkYzQ1ODUwYWI5YmUzYzVlNWMxYmU3Mjc2YjIxNGZlM2ZhNDkxNDYzOGUyZGMyZjIzMDkwZWZkMDMxMDZmODFiZjM5NzE4NTViYTVmNDc5ZjU2NTY4M2E3OTI3MzgyOTc5OWUyZDQzZTkzMDY0YzZjMTkyNDkwNjU4OTA2MDEwOTcyYjFiNThhMjUyNTczYTU1YmIyMTdlYTY3NjQyMWZjOTBhOTg%3D*

The page says that SSL/TLS must be enabled so be sure that in the Security tab of your Sending and Receiving host configuration files that you have the "Via STLS command" option enabled. If that fails, try the "Via direct SSL" option.

If you still can't get it to work, enable Internet session logging then review the log file of a failed connection attempt to see where the point of failure is. Don't post an entire log file. They contain your login credentials either in plain text or in an easily decodable form.

I found a Network Solutions support page that contains a tool that is supposed to tell you the appropriate settings for you domain. That is where I would start. Worthy of note here is the fact that the problem started today so may be an issue on their end that will eventually be resolved. Their website support pages were extremely slow to load which adds to the possibility that they are having problems. https://customerservice.networksolutions.com/prweb/PRAuth/app/WebKM/JfLhd8LVz0a16-h3GqsHOCqqFky5N_vd*/!autoThread1?pzuiactionzzz=CXtycX02M2VmMzM2MjM0MzA5MGFjNDhlNDRlODI4ZWJkYzQ1ODUwYWI5YmUzYzVlNWMxYmU3Mjc2YjIxNGZlM2ZhNDkxNDYzOGUyZGMyZjIzMDkwZWZkMDMxMDZmODFiZjM5NzE4NTViYTVmNDc5ZjU2NTY4M2E3OTI3MzgyOTc5OWUyZDQzZTkzMDY0YzZjMTkyNDkwNjU4OTA2MDEwOTcyYjFiNThhMjUyNTczYTU1YmIyMTdlYTY3NjQyMWZjOTBhOTg%3D* The page says that SSL/TLS must be enabled so be sure that in the Security tab of your Sending and Receiving host configuration files that you have the "Via STLS command" option enabled. If that fails, try the "Via direct SSL" option. If you still can't get it to work, enable Internet session logging then review the log file of a failed connection attempt to see where the point of failure is. Don't post an entire log file. They contain your login credentials either in plain text or in an easily decodable form.

Okay, I was able to finally send an email. WAHOO!

It required that I select the STARTTLS option along with authenticating using the same exact email as is denoted on the receiving account.

Man! Security is getting tougher!

Thanks for all your support. I'm hoping keeping all this info up will help others.

Okay, I was able to finally send an email. WAHOO! It required that I select the STARTTLS option along with authenticating using the same exact email as is denoted on the receiving account. Man! Security is getting tougher! Thanks for all your support. I'm hoping keeping all this info up will help others.

It required that I select the STARTTLS option along with authenticating using the same exact email as is denoted on the receiving account.

It surprises me that you have functioned this long without the above two options configured the way you just had to change them. I am glad you have it fixed.

[quote="pid:56623, uid:28602"]It required that I select the STARTTLS option along with authenticating using the same exact email as is denoted on the receiving account.[/quote] It surprises me that you have functioned this long without the above two options configured the way you just had to change them. I am glad you have it fixed.

THE SAGA CONTINUES...

NetworkSolutions just admitted that they provided the wrong server information to me. Then, when giving me the new information, they provided the wrong server information again.

Round 3 - They finally gave me the RIGHT server information and I am now up and running with the new adjustments to the security options.

Let's hope there's no Round 4!!!!

THANKS AGAIN to all who responded. Much appreciate all the comments and support.

THE SAGA CONTINUES... NetworkSolutions just admitted that they provided the wrong server information to me. Then, when giving me the new information, they provided the wrong server information again. Round 3 - They finally gave me the RIGHT server information and I am now up and running with the new adjustments to the security options. Let's hope there's no Round 4!!!! THANKS AGAIN to all who responded. Much appreciate all the comments and support.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft