Add-ons for Pegasus Mail
IERenderer - updating via GPO?

Hi folks,

we are running PMAIL with IERenderer for every User in our Company, with ActiveDirectory (AD) and some central GPO-Control.

I'd like to send Updates for IERenderer and maybe PMAIL, too, with GPO on startup for some/most of these PCs.

Are there .msi-Versions of the Update-/Install-packages available or does anyone know how to build (distribute) it?

TIA

Marc

Hi folks, we are running PMAIL with IERenderer for every User in our Company, with ActiveDirectory (AD) and some central GPO-Control. I'd like to send Updates for IERenderer and maybe PMAIL, too, with GPO on startup for some/most of these PCs. Are there .msi-Versions of the Update-/Install-packages available or does anyone know how to build (distribute) it? TIA Marc

-- Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong".
   There's also Parkinson's Law – "Work expands to exceed available time".

edited Jul 12 at 11:43 am

There is not a .msi version but updates can be done by extracting the files from the .exe using InnoUnpacker and then replacing the existing files with the new ones. Creating a script that does the replacement should be a viable option.

I am curious why you are not running a single multi-user installation of Pegasus Mail on the LAN. That would make life easier.

There is not a .msi version but updates can be done by extracting the files from the .exe using InnoUnpacker and then replacing the existing files with the new ones. Creating a script that does the replacement should be a viable option. I am curious why you are not running a single multi-user installation of Pegasus Mail on the LAN. That would make life easier.

hi Brian,

thank you - InnoUnpacker does the trick?
I tried 7zip to spy into the setup.exe, but I could only see the setup-files and -data.
This was my idea too to find the updated files and write a simple copy-script to replace on update.

off-topic (multi-user installation):

Why no multi-user installation? historical reasons. installs were done far before my start there.
But maybe it's a good idea to change things.
I will install PMAIL on a network-share (so I have to update only on one place)?
Could you point me into the right direction? (otherwise I will try to search)

How to have different public folders for some users?
(AFAIK pegasus.ini is localed in the C:\PMAIL\Programs-folder)

TIA
Marc

hi Brian, thank you - InnoUnpacker does the trick? I tried 7zip to spy into the setup.exe, but I could only see the setup-files and -data. This was my idea too to find the updated files and write a simple copy-script to replace on update. off-topic (multi-user installation): Why no multi-user installation? historical reasons. installs were done far before my start there. But maybe it's a good idea to change things. I will install PMAIL on a network-share (so I have to update only on one place)? Could you point me into the right direction? (otherwise I will try to search) How to have different public folders for some users? (AFAIK pegasus.ini is localed in the C:\PMAIL\Programs-folder) TIA Marc

edited Jul 12 at 4:43 pm

Yes. Extract the .zip then use InnoUnpacker to extract IERendererSetup.exe. You will need to look at the resulting files and determine their location in a Pegasus Mail installation. It should not be difficult to do but post back with any questions.

I will install PMAIL on a network-share (so I have to update only on one place)?

Yes. Pegasus Mail would need to be on a network-share with a drive letter. Many folks install it on a server but I ran it on a retired desktop PC because I considered the server a file server only. Mailboxes were on a server.

Could you point me into the right direction? (otherwise I will try to search)

I don't know of a good source of information for what you want to accomplish. I will make some inquiries to see what might be out there. I'm sure I could get you there but it would be a slog to do it via this forum. If you are serious about pursuing it. start a new discussion in the Pegasus Mail Community Discussions and Support section. Post the details of one of the installations so that we'll have a clue about your current status. The best resource for these details is within the Help menu of Pegasus Mail. Click About Pegasus Mail then click the Info button. Copy the entire content of the resulting display and past it into a post. It does not contain anything inappropriate for public posting.

How to have different public folders for some users?

Easy. The section in the Pegasus Mail about public folders will give you a clue how they work. Access to them can be controlled by network security permission (eg: allow access only to members of an accounting department). System-wide address books and distribution lists are also possible. User access can be controlled by Pegasus Mail configuration and reinforced by network permissions.

thank you - InnoUnpacker does the trick? [quote="pid:56853, uid:39367"]thank you - InnoUnpacker does the trick?[/quote] Yes. Extract the .zip then use InnoUnpacker to extract IERendererSetup.exe. You will need to look at the resulting files and determine their location in a Pegasus Mail installation. It should not be difficult to do but post back with any questions. [quote="pid:56853, uid:39367"]I will install PMAIL on a network-share (so I have to update only on one place)?[/quote] Yes. Pegasus Mail would need to be on a network-share with a drive letter. Many folks install it on a server but I ran it on a retired desktop PC because I considered the server a file server only. Mailboxes were on a server. [quote="pid:56853, uid:39367"]Could you point me into the right direction? (otherwise I will try to search)[/quote] I don't know of a good source of information for what you want to accomplish. I will make some inquiries to see what might be out there. I'm sure I could get you there but it would be a slog to do it via this forum. If you are serious about pursuing it. start a new discussion in the Pegasus Mail Community Discussions and Support section. Post the details of one of the installations so that we'll have a clue about your current status. The best resource for these details is within the Help menu of Pegasus Mail. Click About Pegasus Mail then click the Info button. Copy the entire content of the resulting display and past it into a post. It does not contain anything inappropriate for public posting. [quote="pid:56853, uid:39367"]How to have different public folders for some users?[/quote] Easy. The section in the Pegasus Mail about public folders will give you a clue how they work. Access to them can be controlled by network security permission (eg: allow access only to members of an accounting department). System-wide address books and distribution lists are also possible. User access can be controlled by Pegasus Mail configuration and reinforced by network permissions.

You will need to look at the resulting files and determine their location in a Pegasus Mail installation.

Here's an annotated graphic showing the respective locations.

[quote="pid:56854, uid:28772"]You will need to look at the resulting files and determine their location in a Pegasus Mail installation.[/quote] [Here's an annotated graphic](https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/History.htm#HowToUnpack) showing the respective locations.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

I have been unable to find any documentation so far that would be helpful in converting multiple single user installations to a single multi-user installation in a LAN environment. The Pegasus Mail manual contains instructions for converting a single user installation to a multi-user installation but that is not helpful (or perhaps minimally helpful) in this case.

FWIW, I retired from a small business of 15 employees. A single shared instance of Pegasus Mail was our email client. Important here is that I used Mercury to do the heavy lifting (downloading from domain mailboxes, sending, spam control, malware protection). I don't believe Pegasus Mail by itself would be up to the task of handling that many users so a consideration may be the number of users in this environment.

I have been unable to find any documentation so far that would be helpful in converting multiple single user installations to a single multi-user installation in a LAN environment. The Pegasus Mail manual contains instructions for converting a single user installation to a multi-user installation but that is not helpful (or perhaps minimally helpful) in this case. FWIW, I retired from a small business of 15 employees. A single shared instance of Pegasus Mail was our email client. Important here is that I used Mercury to do the heavy lifting (downloading from domain mailboxes, sending, spam control, malware protection). I don't believe Pegasus Mail by itself would be up to the task of handling that many users so a consideration may be the number of users in this environment.

hi Brian,

thanks for your replies and hints.
sry, I have to find time to read and check.

one of the advantages to run PMAIL in a centralized installation, probably with Mercury, too,
is that we are experiencing long delays in even reading/sorting mail in "Systemwide Folders" (public folders used by a lot of employees), upto many seconds!

Marc

hi Brian, thanks for your replies and hints. sry, I have to find time to read and check. one of the advantages to run PMAIL in a centralized installation, probably with Mercury, too, is that we are experiencing long delays in even reading/sorting mail in "Systemwide Folders" (public folders used by a lot of employees), upto many seconds! Marc

one of the advantages to run PMAIL in a centralized installation, probably with Mercury, too,
is that we are experiencing long delays in even reading/sorting mail in "Systemwide Folders" (public folders used by a lot of employees), upto many seconds!

I don't think a single multi-user installation of Pegasus Mail will help with this. I did not experience inconvenient delays in accessing public folder on the 15 user LAN I administered. The public folders were on a Windows server. I don't have an explanation for the slowness you describe except perhaps that the public folders contain a very large number of messages.

I wonder if your company is using public folders to share emails rather than forwarding them. Forwarding would be much more efficient in a single installation because it would occur locally. Pegasus Mail would just place the forwards in the destination mailboxes rather than SMTP transmit.

[quote="pid:56862, uid:39367"]one of the advantages to run PMAIL in a centralized installation, probably with Mercury, too, is that we are experiencing long delays in even reading/sorting mail in "Systemwide Folders" (public folders used by a lot of employees), upto many seconds![/quote] I don't think a single multi-user installation of Pegasus Mail will help with this. I did not experience inconvenient delays in accessing public folder on the 15 user LAN I administered. The public folders were on a Windows server. I don't have an explanation for the slowness you describe except perhaps that the public folders contain a very large number of messages. I wonder if your company is using public folders to share emails rather than forwarding them. Forwarding would be much more efficient in a single installation because it would occur locally. Pegasus Mail would just place the forwards in the destination mailboxes rather than SMTP transmit.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft