Community Discussions and Support
MercuryE connection error on one machine, works on other

I have two Mercury servers. On one (on ip xx.xx.242.145) I can send mail (MercuryE) to xx.xx.65.99. On the other (on ip xx.xx.242.149) I get a connection error sending to that IP. The odd thing is that I can run a java test program on xx.xx.242.149 which connects and sends, and I receive the test email, but not if I send through Mercury. I've turned on session logging and see nothing, done packet captures at the target machine (.65.99), turned SSL on and off. I'm bamboozled. Is there a way to get more debugging information from Mercury to figure out what's going on? Thanks.

I have two Mercury servers. On one (on ip xx.xx.242.145) I can send mail (MercuryE) to xx.xx.65.99. On the other (on ip xx.xx.242.149) I get a connection error sending to that IP. The odd thing is that I can run a java test program on xx.xx.242.149 which connects and sends, and I receive the test email, but not if I send through Mercury. I've turned on session logging and see nothing, done packet captures at the target machine (.65.99), turned SSL on and off. I'm bamboozled. Is there a way to get more debugging information from Mercury to figure out what's going on? Thanks.

So the xx.xx.242.149 instance of Mercury has correctly identified the IP address to connect to, but no SMTP connection is established and the connection attempt eventually times out?

If so that's probably all that Mercury knows about the situation. There is something else in the environment that for some reason is preventing access.

Can the xx.xx.242.149 instance successfully connect to other servers?

So the xx.xx.242.149 instance of Mercury has correctly identified the IP address to connect to, but no SMTP connection is established and the connection attempt eventually times out? If so that's probably all that Mercury knows about the situation. There is something else in the environment that for some reason is preventing access. Can the xx.xx.242.149 instance successfully connect to other servers?

Thanks, I don't know that it timed out, it just says "Connection error", though it takes a while so it does look like a time-out.

The same configuration running on 242.145 connects successfully. The 242.149 does not have this issue with any other mail server (it sends a lot of mail).

I have looked at packet captures on .65.99, and I see 242.149 connecting on SMTP and responses returned, so I don't think it's a connection time-out, but I can't figure out what it is. I was hoping for some more logging from Mercury if there's a hidden "log-level:debug" switch somewhere.

Thanks, I don't know that it timed out, it just says "Connection error", though it takes a while so it does look like a time-out. The same configuration running on 242.145 connects successfully. The 242.149 does not have this issue with any other mail server (it sends a lot of mail). I have looked at packet captures on .65.99, and I see 242.149 connecting on SMTP and responses returned, so I don't think it's a connection time-out, but I can't figure out what it is. I was hoping for some more logging from Mercury if there's a hidden "log-level:debug" switch somewhere.
edited Jul 21 at 12:22 am

OK, so an SMTP connection is established, but the response back to the 242.149 server appears to be blocked before it reaches Mercury. Any response seen by Mercury would be included in the session log for MercuryE.

It's probably best to again disable SSL for connections with 65.99 while trying to resolve this issue.

OK, so an SMTP connection is established, but the response back to the 242.149 server appears to be blocked before it reaches Mercury. Any response seen by Mercury would be included in the session log for MercuryE. It's probably best to again disable SSL for connections with 65.99 while trying to resolve this issue.

Looking a little more closely at the session log with SSL turned off, I see a Socket read timeout. Using a java program with timing turned on, it looks like 2 1/2 minutes for the mail to be successfully sent. Will have to figure out why that mail server is so slow. Checking the other server and it has a timeout set to 60 seconds, but for some reason this is 30. Will try setting the failing one higher. Well that was apparently it. Now I have to figure out why the other mail server is so slow. Thanks for the interactions.

Looking a little more closely at the session log with SSL turned off, I see a Socket read timeout. Using a java program with timing turned on, it looks like 2 1/2 minutes for the mail to be successfully sent. Will have to figure out why that mail server is so slow. Checking the other server and it has a timeout set to 60 seconds, but for some reason this is 30. Will try setting the failing one higher. Well that was apparently it. Now I have to figure out why the other mail server is so slow. Thanks for the interactions.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft