Community Discussions and Support
Sv: Problem with multipart email with long encapsulation boundaries

Why not contact hostmaster.walmart.com as the soa RP states, and reference this thread?
Did that over three years ago.  They responded and said thanks a lot we'll pass it on to our vendor that supplies the software.  Tried again about a year ago; same results.  Obviously they believe that since it does not affect Outlook, OE or T-bird it not really a problem.  ;-(   Since I only go to WalMart as the "vendor of last resort" it's not that big a deal for me.
<blockquote>Why not contact hostmaster.walmart.com as the soa RP states, and reference this thread?</blockquote>Did that over three years ago.  They responded and said thanks a lot we'll pass it on to our vendor that supplies the software.  Tried again about a year ago; same results.  Obviously they believe that since it does not affect Outlook, OE or T-bird it not really a problem.  ;-(   Since I only go to WalMart as the "vendor of last resort" it's not that big a deal for me.

I've run across an instance where Pegasus will not recognize an email as a valid message.  It reports that the message contains binary data and cannot be interpreted by Pegasus.  The actual instances are email notifications from WalMart of order acceptance or shipping.

According to RFC 2046 "Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions(MIME) Part Two:Media Types" on page 19:

Boundary delimiters must not appear within the encapsulated material,
   and must be no longer than 70 characters, not counting the two
   leading hyphens.

The emails in question have had boundary delimiters of up to 100 characters.  Without making any other changes in the emails, if they are edited to shorten the boundary delimiters to less than 70 character, the email is accepted and displayed normally by Pegasus.

Other email programs, e.g., GMail web interface and Thunderbird, accept the messages and display them normally.  I know Pegasus is strictly following the rules here but it would be nice if the rules were relaxed somewhat in this case.  Fighting with WalMart about correcting the idiocies on their website is a non-productive endeavor.

Comments welcome.

<p>I've run across an instance where Pegasus will not recognize an email as a valid message.  It reports that the message contains binary data and cannot be interpreted by Pegasus.  The actual instances are email notifications from WalMart of order acceptance or shipping.</p><p>According to RFC 2046 "Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions(MIME) Part Two:Media Types" on page 19:</p><p>      Boundary delimiters must not appear within the encapsulated material,    and must be no longer than 70 characters, not counting the two    leading hyphens.</p><p>The emails in question have had boundary delimiters of up to 100 characters.  Without making any other changes in the emails, if they are edited to shorten the boundary delimiters to less than 70 character, the email is accepted and displayed normally by Pegasus.</p><p> Other email programs, e.g., GMail web interface and Thunderbird, accept the messages and display them normally.  I know Pegasus is strictly following the rules here but it would be nice if the rules were relaxed somewhat in this case.  Fighting with WalMart about correcting the idiocies on their website is a non-productive endeavor. </p><p> Comments welcome.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>

I've run across an instance where Pegasus will not recognize an email

as a valid message.  It reports that the message contains binary data

and cannot be interpreted by Pegasus.  The actual instances are email

notifications from WalMart of order acceptance or shipping.

The people at Walmart appear to be idiots and I've run into this one myself.  Good thing I get into WalMart about once every other year.   This has been passed to David over three years ago and I doubt if he's going to do anything about it since this is a RFC MUST requirement and I suspect he's getting tried of fixing othe peoples software problems.

<blockquote><p>I've run across an instance where Pegasus will not recognize an email as a valid message.  It reports that the message contains binary data and cannot be interpreted by Pegasus.  The actual instances are email notifications from WalMart of order acceptance or shipping.</p></blockquote><p>The people at Walmart appear to be idiots and I've run into this one myself.  Good thing I get into WalMart about once every other year.   This has been passed to David over three years ago and I doubt if he's going to do anything about it since this is a RFC MUST requirement and I suspect he's getting tried of fixing othe peoples software problems. </p><p> </p>

Why not contact hostmaster.walmart.com as the soa RP states, and reference this thread?

When we contacted Symantec about a year ago, they promptly answered and apologized here ...

<P>Why not contact hostmaster.walmart.com as the soa RP states, and reference this thread?</P> <P>When we contacted Symantec about a year ago, they promptly answered and apologized here ...</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft