Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Automatic sorting of new mail into the New Mail window

[quote user="FJR"]

Hi Jim,

[quote]When new mail is collected via POP3 it is deposited at the top of the list (as desired) but it is not sorted. If I click the Date/Time column heading twice (which is what I usually have to do, and what I'd like to avoid) the sorting is done correctly. I have not changed these settings; this is how they've always been.[/quote]

Times I was using POP3 have past long ago ... but if my memorization is correct, this was always the behaviour of Pegasus. When getting mails per POP3 they are put into the local NMF at time they arrive. Pegasus doesn't make a refresh on that special folder[/quote]

Yep, that's exactly right, and that's why I posted this in the suggestions forum. Sure, there's a workaround (double click on the Time/Date column header) but it seems like a reasonable feature to add.

Thanks for the confirmation.

[quote user="FJR"]<p>Hi Jim, </p><p>[quote]When new mail is collected via POP3 it is deposited at the top of the list (as desired) but it is not sorted. If I click the Date/Time column heading twice (which is what I usually have to do, and what I'd like to avoid) the sorting is done correctly. I have not changed these settings; this is how they've always been.[/quote]</p><p>Times I was using POP3 have past long ago ... but if my memorization is correct, this was always the behaviour of Pegasus. When getting mails per POP3 they are put into the local NMF at time they arrive. Pegasus doesn't make a refresh on that special folder[/quote]</p><p>Yep, that's exactly right, and that's why I posted this in the suggestions forum. Sure, there's a workaround (double click on the Time/Date column header) but it seems like a reasonable feature to add. </p><p>Thanks for the confirmation.</p><p> </p>

When I collect new mail it gets dumped at the top of all the messages in the New Mail window, but it's in random order. Would it be possible for Pegasus to remember how that window was last sorted and merge the new messages in with the old ones, correctly sorted automatically?

Yes, I can do the resort myself, it's just 2 mouse clicks, and that's what I've done for years, but it seems like it would be simple for Pegasus to do it automatically.

For the record, my New Mail messages are usually sorted by date when I bring in new mail, but I often sort by different columns if I'm trying to find a particular message.

thanks,

<p>When I collect new mail it gets dumped at the top of all the messages in the New Mail window, but it's in random order. Would it be possible for Pegasus to remember how that window was last sorted and merge the new messages in with the old ones, correctly sorted automatically?</p><p> Yes, I can do the resort myself, it's just 2 mouse clicks, and that's what I've done for years, but it seems like it would be simple for Pegasus to do it automatically.</p><p> For the record, my New Mail messages are usually sorted by date when I bring in new mail, but I often sort by different columns if I'm trying to find a particular message.</p><p>thanks,</p><p> </p>

Open your NMF if you now Unclick

Folders | Sort UnRead before Read (and maybe also Sort in reverse order)

your messages should now be sorted as you wish

While you're there make a note of the sort order you have set (and change as necessery)

<p>Open your NMF if you now Unclick </p><p>Folders | Sort UnRead before Read (and maybe also Sort in reverse order) </p><p>your messages should now be sorted as you wish </p><p>While you're there make a note of the sort order you have set (and change as necessery) </p><p> </p>

Also, clicking a column heading will sort on that column.  Clicking again will reverse the sort.  Column sorting has the same affect as setting the sort order using the Folder menu item.  Unreads will remain on top if configured to do so.

Notice that the Folder menu item is dynamic, only appearing when a folder window has focus.

If you use Preview mode consider whether you want each folder's sorting mode to remembered separately.  If you do, that setting is in Tools > Options > Incoming Mail > Preview Mode Settings.

<p>Also, clicking a column heading will sort on that column.  Clicking again will reverse the sort.  Column sorting has the same affect as setting the sort order using the Folder menu item.  Unreads will remain on top if configured to do so.</p><p>Notice that the Folder menu item is dynamic, only appearing when a folder window has focus. </p><p>If you use Preview mode consider whether you want each folder's sorting mode to remembered separately.  If you do, that setting is in Tools > Options > Incoming Mail > Preview Mode Settings. </p>

[quote user="Shades"]

Open your NMF if you now Unclick

Folders | Sort UnRead before Read (and maybe also Sort in reverse order)

your messages should now be sorted as you wish

While you're there make a note of the sort order you have set (and change as necessery) [/quote]

Not sure what you want me to "Unclick."

NMF is open; focus is on NMF.

Under Folders: UnRead before Read is unchecked, Sort by date is checked, Apply Timezone Correction is checked.

I don't use Preview Mode.

When new mail is collected via POP3 it is deposited at the top of the list (as desired) but it is not sorted. If I click the Date/Time column heading twice (which is what I usually have to do, and what I'd like to avoid) the sorting is done correctly. I have not changed these settings; this is how they've always been.

Could Timezone Correction be causing a problem? If so, it would mean that it's not being applied equally when new mail is downloaded and when sorting is done by clicking the Date/Time column heading.

thanks,

[quote user="Shades"]<p>Open your NMF if you now Unclick </p><p>Folders | Sort UnRead before Read (and maybe also Sort in reverse order) </p><p>your messages should now be sorted as you wish </p><p>While you're there make a note of the sort order you have set (and change as necessery) [/quote]</p><p>Not sure what you want me to "Unclick."</p><p>NMF is open; focus is on NMF. </p><p>Under Folders: UnRead before Read is unchecked, Sort by date is checked, Apply Timezone Correction is checked.</p><p>I don't use Preview Mode. </p><p>When new mail is collected via POP3 it is deposited at the top of the list (as desired) but it is not sorted. If I click the Date/Time column heading twice (which is what I usually have to do, and what I'd like to avoid) the sorting is done correctly. I have not changed these settings; this is how they've always been.</p><p>Could Timezone Correction be causing a problem? If so, it would mean that it's not being applied equally when new mail is downloaded and when sorting is done by clicking the Date/Time column heading.</p><p>thanks,</p><p> </p>

Hi Jim,

[quote]When new mail is collected via POP3 it is deposited at the top of the list (as desired) but it is not sorted. If I click the Date/Time column heading twice (which is what I usually have to do, and what I'd like to avoid) the sorting is done correctly. I have not changed these settings; this is how they've always been.[/quote]

Times I was using POP3 have past long ago ... but if my memorization is correct, this was always the behaviour of Pegasus. When getting mails per POP3 they are put into the local NMF at time they arrive. Pegasus doesn't make a refresh on that special folder (isn't really one - it's a collection of files with new mails) when POP3 session is finished. I think that's the reason you have to click twice ... as I remember you may click on relevant columns or may click another folder and than back to NMF.

Greets    Olaf

<p>Hi Jim, </p><p>[quote]When new mail is collected via POP3 it is deposited at the top of the list (as desired) but it is not sorted. If I click the Date/Time column heading twice (which is what I usually have to do, and what I'd like to avoid) the sorting is done correctly. I have not changed these settings; this is how they've always been.[/quote]</p><p>Times I was using POP3 have past long ago ... but if my memorization is correct, this was always the behaviour of Pegasus. When getting mails per POP3 they are put into the local NMF at time they arrive. Pegasus doesn't make a refresh on that special folder (isn't really one - it's a collection of files with new mails) when POP3 session is finished. I think that's the reason you have to click twice ... as I remember you may click on relevant columns or may click another folder and than back to NMF.</p><p>Greets    Olaf </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft