Community Discussions and Support
Lots of .dmp files. Why? Value?

An associate of mine helped to expose this .dmp file content (similar content it multiple .dmp files):

Exception code 0xC0000005

The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

Unhandled exception at 0x001A03BB (mercury.exe) in 181024-100247.dmp (interesting that this is the source .dmp file).

Access violation reading location 0x062DBCF0.

<p>An associate of mine helped to expose this .dmp file content (similar content it multiple .dmp files):</p><p>Exception code 0xC0000005 </p><p>The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access. </p><p>Unhandled exception at 0x001A03BB (mercury.exe) in 181024-100247.dmp (interesting that this is the source .dmp file).</p><p>Access violation reading location 0x062DBCF0. </p>

Hi All,

Would someone please explain .dmp files? 

• I have a significant number (at least one per month, sometimes several)
  • They're not readable with a text editor so I don't know their content or value
  • I don't know what is causing their creation but the time stamp of a small percentage of them corresponds with the daily maintenance task

TIA!

<p>Hi All,</p><p>Would someone please explain .dmp files?  </p><ul><li>I have a significant number (at least one per month, sometimes several) </li><li>They're not readable with a text editor so I don't know their content or value</li><li>I don't know what is causing their creation but the time stamp of a small percentage of them corresponds with the daily maintenance task </li></ul><p>TIA! </p>

.dmp files are memory dumps that can be loaded in Microsoft Visual Studio for debugging. They are created if the program terminates unexpectedly.

<p>.dmp files are memory dumps that can be loaded in Microsoft Visual Studio for debugging. They are created if the program terminates unexpectedly.</p><p> </p>

Thanks Rolf.  I don't have Visual Studio so will study the frequency a bit more for clues and to try to get a sense of whether there is cause for alarm.  Is there an explanation for the ones that are zero byte sized?  There is a number of those.

Thanks Rolf.  I don't have Visual Studio so will study the frequency a bit more for clues and to try to get a sense of whether there is cause for alarm.  Is there an explanation for the ones that are zero byte sized?  There is a number of those.

[quote user="Rolf Lindby"]They are created if the program terminates unexpectedly. [/quote]

But the daily maintenance task should not be an unexpected termination, isn't it?

We never used the daily maintenance because I have to restart our Windows Server anyhow at least once a month during MS update day. The other times Mercury is normally running incident-free. Nevertheless just searched for any dmp files but didn't find any.

<p>[quote user="Rolf Lindby"]They are created if the program terminates unexpectedly. [/quote]</p><p>But the daily maintenance task should not be an unexpected termination, isn't it?</p><p>We never used the daily maintenance because I have to restart our Windows Server anyhow at least once a month during MS update day. The other times Mercury is normally running incident-free. Nevertheless just searched for any dmp files but didn't find any. </p>

[quote user="Joerg"]But the daily maintenance task should not be an unexpected termination, isn't it?[/quote]

That's what I would have thought but many of the zero byte .dmp files are time stamped at this time.

[quote user="Joerg"]We never used the daily maintenance because I have to restart our Windows Server anyhow at least once a month during MS update day. The other times Mercury is normally running incident-free. Nevertheless just searched for any dmp files but didn't find any.[/quote]

I've turned off the restart associated with the daily maintenance task to see what happens.

Interestingly, there is now a zero byte .dmp file time stamped at the time I shutdown Mercury late yesterday afternoon for backup purposes.  That certainly should have been a graceful shutdown.

<p>[quote user="Joerg"]But the daily maintenance task should not be an unexpected termination, isn't it?[/quote]</p><p>That's what I would have thought but many of the zero byte .dmp files are time stamped at this time. </p><p>[quote user="Joerg"]We never used the daily maintenance because I have to restart our Windows Server anyhow at least once a month during MS update day. The other times Mercury is normally running incident-free. Nevertheless just searched for any dmp files but didn't find any.[/quote]</p><p>I've turned off the restart associated with the daily maintenance task to see what happens.</p><p>Interestingly, there is now a zero byte .dmp file time stamped at the time I shutdown Mercury late yesterday afternoon for backup purposes.  That certainly should have been a graceful shutdown. </p>

Depending on why the program terminates it may not be possible to create a memory dump, so the file can sometimes be empty.

I haven't used daily restarts myself, but perhaps if the restart breaks an ongoing transaction in one of the protocol modules it could trigger a memory dump.

<p>Depending on why the program terminates it may not be possible to create a memory dump, so the file can sometimes be empty.</p><p>I haven't used daily restarts myself, but perhaps if the restart breaks an ongoing transaction in one of the protocol modules it could trigger a memory dump.</p>

I attempted to read one of the .dmp files but need a symbol file (.pdb).  Is it available?  Please let me know if it is unlikely that I would know what I was looking at even I had the symbol file (I'm a user, not a coder).

I attempted to read one of the .dmp files but need a symbol file (.pdb).  Is it available?  Please let me know if it is unlikely that I would know what I was looking at even I had the symbol file (I'm a user, not a coder).
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft