Community Discussions and Support
Phone system voicemails out through Mercury

We have a phone system capable of sending voicemails via SMTP.  I have it working through Mercury but the From address coded in the phone system software has an invalid domain.  This has caused some messages to be rejected (by gmail so far).  The phone system folks want a first born in payment to change the programming so I'm wondering if there is any way that a message submitted to Mercury as From: voicemail@invaliddomain.com can be sent out as From: voicemail@ourdomain.com.

<p>We have a phone system capable of sending voicemails via SMTP.  I have it working through Mercury but the From address coded in the phone system software has an invalid domain.  This has caused some messages to be rejected (by gmail so far).  The phone system folks want a first born in payment to change the programming so I'm wondering if there is any way that a message submitted to Mercury as From: voicemail@invaliddomain.com can be sent out as From: voicemail@ourdomain.com.</p><p> </p><p> </p>

Bloody hell. If the domain is invalid they should change it gratis. Hold one of their first born to ransom instead.

Bloody hell. If the domain is invalid they should change it gratis. Hold one of their first born to ransom instead.

Couldn't you add the invalid domain to your SPF record?  Something like this:

TXT @ "v=spf1 a include:spf.
ourdomain.com

Regards,

Murry

<p>Couldn't you add the invalid domain to your SPF record?  Something like this:</p><p><code>TXT @ "v=spf1 a include:spf.</code><code>ourdomain.com </code><code><code>include:spf.</code></code><code><code>invaliddomain.com</code><code></code> -all"</code></p><p> </p><p>Regards, </p><p>Murry </p>

Problem is solved but it wasn't what I thought.  Firstly, I got a benevolent phone system tech on the phone who changed the email address in their smtp configuration free of charge, at least he hopes.  He's going to cl;=ose the support ticket request as having answered a question in the hopes that won't trigger a bill.  Unfortunately, that change still didn't solve the problem.  I then figured out what I should have realized from the beginning, that it was Mercury rejecting the message not Gmail.  The rejection message was "Job has invalid or illegal from address".   An entry in the synonym file fixed it.

<p>Problem is solved but it wasn't what I thought.  Firstly, I got a benevolent phone system tech on the phone who changed the email address in their smtp configuration free of charge, at least he hopes.  He's going to cl;=ose the support ticket request as having answered a question in the hopes that won't trigger a bill.  Unfortunately, that change still didn't solve the problem.  I then figured out what I should have realized from the beginning, that it was M<span style="font-size: 10pt;">ercury rejecting the message not Gmail.  The rejection message was "Job has invalid or illegal from address".   An entry in the synonym file fixed it.</span></p><p> </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft